The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Chemical Lemon
5 minutes ago, Beardys Feather said:

Love the idea but if Eureka released this now they'd probably call it Dance Hall Days :monk_swinging:

I swear I remember a rick meyers back of the box blurb or commentary saying that the band named themselves after the actor. :laluot_32:

• Haha 1

starschwar
Posted (edited)

I got my copy of Future Cops, but won't have a chance to watch for a bit.  I noticed the summary indicates that it is the first, "official adaptation of Street Fighter".  Is it?  They got the okay from Capcom?  Why are (almost) all the characters renamed, then?

Edited by starschwar

Pandaman
49 minutes ago, starschwar said:

I got my copy of Future Cops, but won't have a chance to watch for a bit.  I noticed the summary indicates that it is the first, "official adaptation of Street Fighter".  Is it?  They got the okay from Capcom?  Why are (almost) all the characters renamed, then?

It was the first live action film to adapt the Street Fighter characters a year before JCVD's Street Fighter film that Raul Julia made watchable. Wong Jing surpassed them a year before.

Unless I'm mistaken. Wong Jing didn't get a licence for either Street Fighter (or Dragonball) so these character are Street Fighter-ish...esque.

• Like 2

Niklaus Vogel
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, starschwar said:

I just listened to the commentary on the disc between Frank Djeng and Erik Ko, who's apparently the CEO of a company in the US that represents CAPCOM and anything STREET FIGHTER is concerned.  Erik pretty much stated that the film was an unofficial adaptation of STREET FIGHTER but CAPCOM can't really go after Wong Jing legally because all the characters' names were changed.  But Erik himself is a big fan of the film and he said he has no issues with the film paying homage to STREET FIGHTER!

It's a really fascinating commentary.  Erik has been in the anime/manga/toys business for 30 yeasrs and his encylopedic knowledge of STREET FIGHTER and his analysis of the anime industry were very enlightening and he and Frank almost spoke nonstop throughout.  Definitely one of the highlights of the disc! 

Edited by Niklaus Vogel
  • Like 9

Pandaman
10 hours ago, Knetan said:

Unless I'm mistaken. Wong Jing didn't get a licence for either Street Fighter (or Dragonball) so these character are Street Fighter-ish...esque.

No, he didn't on neither and Super Mario Bros neither.

• Haha 1

starschwar
On 10/8/2024 at 7:31 PM, starschwar said:

Reading comprehension fail.  It says that it predated the first official adaptation (the Van Damme one).  Sorry, folks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pandaman said:

No, he didn't on neither and Super Mario Bros neither.

Ah yes, he tried to piss off Capcom and Nintendo in the same film. Then had a film called Gameboy Kids put out. Beyond the title, not sure if the characters are Gameboy Kids or do Gameboy Kids-ing :D

7 hours ago, Knetan said:

Ah yes, he tried to piss off Capcom and Nintendo in the same film. Then had a film called Gameboy Kids put out. Beyond the title, not sure if the characters are Gameboy Kids or do Gameboy Kids-ing :D

Oh, that movie. Where Andy Lau play's a video game loving  Triad who become's the leader of the society who has a mind of an eight year old despite he has an high IQ. Alot of game boy and Nintendo stuff can be seen on the film.  I don't believe Wong Jing had permission to feature either in the film.

• Haha 1

HeavenSword

Super Street Culture Turbo – Brand new documentary by CFK (Crazy From Kong)

This was a great extra to have for Future Cops 👍🏽

• Like 1

This 'Horrible History' set is really good (I'm surprised 'The Pirate' wasn't in the David Chiang/Ti Lung set).

I just hope that all come with the dubs, since they exist in one form or another.

Even missing parts filled with sub and original audio would be great.

No one is really making customs anymore, it's a shame. (Panarin scores!)

17 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

This 'Horrible History' set is really good (I'm surprised 'The Pirate' wasn't in the David Chiang/Ti Lung set).

I just hope that all come with the dubs, since they exist in one form or another.

Even missing parts filled with sub and original audio would be great.

No one is really making customs anymore, it's a shame. (Panarin scores!)

they all have complete English Dubs. (all are on itunes with their Dubs from what i remember)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, spannick said:

they all have complete English Dubs. (all are on itunes with their Dubs from what i remember)

Great to hear, thank you :thumbsup

So it's safe to assume Frank will be doing commentary for both films which is great. Question is which label will be releasing them and whether it's for UK or for US (Vinegar Syndrome and Shout had both released Stephen Chow titles)

Edited by Niklaus Vogel

9 hours ago, Knetan said:

A full collection of Shaw’s Monkey King films would be really neat. There are four or five in total I think.

Ho Meng-Hua did four Monkey King films at Shaw.   THE MONKEY GOES WEST, PRINCESS IRON FAN, THE CAVE OF THE SILKEN WEB and THE LAND OF MANY PERFUMES (which Soi Cheang remade as THE MONKEY KING 3: KINGDOM OF WOMEN with Aaron Kwok). Soi's idea was to do remakes of all 4 Shaw films and so there was supposed to be a MONKEY KING 4 about Princess Iron Fan, who was also featured in A CHINESE ODYSSEY 2, but COVID put a stop to it.

Edited by Niklaus Vogel
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Niklaus Vogel said:

So it's safe to assume Frank will be doing commentary for both films which is great. Question is which label will be releasing them and whether it's for UK or for US (Vinegar Syndrome and Shout had both released Stephen Chow titles)

It wouldn't matter to me if it was from UK or US. Can still get it via Amazon on Amazon prime.