The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Chemical Lemon
1 hour ago, ChillyChong said:

Was there even "spike-knuckles" or whatever those are called in 4 Riders? Been long time since saw it but am certain that weapon is not featured in other movies. Horrible History sounds just so..horrible they should definitely change it and boxart too. Nice selection of movies but like mentioned above 3 have already BR releases in Germany(By Koch) and very likely same transfers. Would think if new restorations it would have been mentioned but we will see..

I don’t remember the spiked knuckles from any of these movies. But my memory is bad. Ditto to what everyone has said about the name of the boxset. If horrible is in the title of a movie, it’s one thing, but when it’s the title of the boxset it almost seems like you’re calling the movies horrible. I care less about the boxart, but for whatever reason I fear the name of the boxset may not invite people unfamiliar with the movies to buy it. And I want these box sets to do well. I suppose someone suggested “Wonderful War movies” and that was shot down. 

im pretty sure in terms of the materials Eureka is mostly just taking whatever Celestial gives them. Which I’m okay with. Arrow and (I assume) Vinegar Syndrome are working on restoring some of these to their original glory, I think 88 and Eureka (and I guess Shout Factory) doing their best to fill in the catalog as quickly as possible is also a good thing. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough interest/money floating around for most of these to get top tier treatment. But getting them out there where people can see them only increases the likelihood that there is enough audience to warrant more attention. 

Im lucky that my love for English dubs has prevented me from picking up most of the German releases. So there isn’t any double dipping for me. The English speaking countries still have some catching up to do, but I feel like they are catching up fast. 

I think once this and Shawscope 3 are out there are only 24 of the 79 chang cheh movies celestial owns that have not been released in English speaking territories. That’s a lot of progress in just a couple years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thehangman said:

Need Pantyhose hero and The Tournament to be released

I'd say The Tournament is a huge possibility being Angela Mao, it's with Fortune Star presumably. Pantyhose Hero I BELIEVE is with Warner so that's a huge impossibility.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

ironfistedmonk
10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Great news, but I wonder why they chose this strange title Horrible History for the boxset. The word Horrible seems inappropriate for me, and at first, when I saw the cover without reading the titles nor the post, I thought it was a horror boxset.

They probably went with that as it was the title of a popular TV kids history show in the UK

Niklaus Vogel
15 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

some more info on that Horrible History box set:

Horrible History: Four Historical Epics by Chang Cheh (1972-1976) •Marco Polo •The Pirate •Boxer Rebellion •Four Riders Often described as the "Godfather of Hong Kong Cinema," Chang Cheh made nearly a hundred films during a long and storied career spent at the Shaw Brothers Studio, where he directed such landmark films as The One-Armed Swordsman, Five Deadly Venoms and The Heroic Ones. Many of his films drew upon Chinese history for inspiration - and many of them were based on real people and events.

Eureka Classics presents four of his best historical epics in this limited-edition set: Marco Polo, The Pirate, Boxer Rebellion and Four Riders. In Marco Polo, the eponymous Venetian explorer (Richard Harrison) becomes embroiled in a battle between the Mongol Empire and Chinese rebels in the thirteenth century.

In The Pirate, the infamous nineteenth-century raider Cheung Po Tsai (Ti Lung) must evade agents of the Imperial Court while attempting to aid the downtrodden residents of a coastal village.

In Boxer Rebellion, a group of Chinese patriots use kung fu to protect their nation against invading forces at the turn of the twentieth century.

Finally, in Four Riders, a Chinese veteran of the Korean War enlists three comrades to help him escape the South Korean Military Police Command after he is falsely accused of murdering an American soldier. Marco Polo, The Pirate, Boxer Rebellion and Four Riders are all fascinating examples of the rewriting of history common in popular genre cinema, directed with aplomb by a veteran of Shaw Brothers in Chang Cheh - one of the most celebrated and prolific filmmakers in Hong Kong.

All four films are presented on Blu-ray from HD masters supplied by Celestial Pictures. Special Features 1080p HD presentations on Blu-ray from masters supplied by Celestial Pictures Original mono audio tracks Optional English subtitles, newly translated for this release Two new commentaries by East Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) and martial artist and filmmaker Michael Worth

Two new commentaries by action cinema experts Mike Leeder and Arne Venema National Defence - A new interview with Hong Kong cinema scholar Wayne Wong on Boxer Rebellion Rewriting History - A new video essay on Chang Cheh’s historical films by Jonathan Clements, author of A Brief History of China

Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju) PLUS: A Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on all four films in this set by writer and critic James Oliver Limited edition of 2000 copies only

Interesting that they haven't listed which two Frank and Michael are doing and which two Mike and Arne are doing. If I have to guess, Mike and Arne will probably do the two with Richard Harrison but Frank would be great for BOXER REBELLION because of its historical context. 

36 minutes ago, Niklaus Vogel said:

Interesting that they haven't listed which two Frank and Michael are doing and which two Mike and Arne are doing. If I have to guess, Mike and Arne will probably do the two with Richard Harrison but Frank would be great for BOXER REBELLION because of its historical context. 

There's been at least one case where Frank has said he's finding out what he's working on when announcements like these are made. However odd that may sound. Since the announcements doesn't say, he may be finding out behind closed doors today what he's supposed to research.

• Like 1

The IVL DVD of "Marco Polo" was cut (regarding two fight scenes at the end). I wonder if we get an uncut version?

Edited by lastninja
  • Buddha Bless You 1

The Tournament on Blu is out in germany english friendly dub+ subs. Great release Picture quality same as Eureka !!!

I pass The Eureka Horrible History box have all on Blu already. They should release new or unavailable titels. Now we have Shaw movie releases on Blu in 3 -4 different countrys. Shaw Box UK ( Arrow ), Shaw Box US ( Shout ) and Spectrum in france. And now most of the titels from 3 Shaw Brothers box Arrow are already out ... but the good think new restaurations:  no more jump cuts and obscure versions of titels ( korean). This is why i do a double dip here. But if Eureka get the same masters as the germans why to buy again. Long time ago spanick posted here clips from Shaw Brothers they never got a release. Why does no company pick those titels. Celestial has a master from Magic Ring !!! One of the most searched after Kung Fu movies same as The Big Boss Part 2. Wich is "Thanks God to Severin" now available, and was or is a reason why so many buy the Bruceploitation Box at Severin. Please we need the Shaw Brother movies they never got a release on VHS, DVD or Blu before .... Hope somebody hear me.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, lastninja said:

The IVL DVD of "Marco Polo" was cut (regarding two fight scenes at the end). I wonder if we get an uncut version?

The german DVD from Koch Media is uncut !!!! OK this is the only titel not out on Blu.

• Like 1

ChillyChong
7 hours ago, lastninja said:

Four Riders IVL is not uncut either, there is dialogue line in Koch BR not in ivl dvd. It was probably picked from vhs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Shit i hate this trailer !!! Looks like they got new 4k master for the Blu's ...... i see a double dip in the future ... i hate it in my age to be still a fanboy !!!

• Like 1

ChillyChong
11 minutes ago, kuenfist said:

Shit i hate this trailer !!! Looks like they got new 4k master for the Blu's ...... i see a double dip in the future ... i hate it in my age to be still a fanboy !!!

Darn. Well when trade old brs+1dvd in 2nd store to something ,buying Horrible History is not bad deal, price is good. This is still not nice, there is lots of HK movies never on disc would rather have such released than getting new br over old one.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
6 hours ago, kuenfist said:

These aren't 4K masters, they're the ones made in regular HD back in the 00s.

• Like 1

Yep,pretty sure these will be the same transfers as German but with better subs and audio commentary.Will any of these have English dubs on them?

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 1

ShawAngela

I'm still surprised that there is no German bluray of Payment in blood, since they released it on VHS... THIS could be a good release from 88 or anybody else!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm still surprised that there is no German bluray of Payment in blood, since they released it on VHS... THIS could be a good release from 88 or anybody else!

Yes this something i am thinking about too. The german VHS is cut and the cinema version was too. But as far as i know there is a master at Celestial. Maybe it is expensive and the movie is not well knowen enough. I don't know if it had a release english friendly so this could be the reason too. It is not as famous as To kill a mastermind ...

• Sad 1

HeavenSword

Four Riders and Boxer Rebellion are top 10 Chang Cheh movies for me , but I think  The Naval Commando’s would have been a great addition to this set . More people need to see that film! 

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 2

Chemical Lemon
46 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

Four Riders and Boxer Rebellion are top 10 Chang Cheh movies for me , but I think  The Naval Commando’s would have been a great addition to this set . More people need to see that film! 

Naval commandos is definitely high on my wish list and it would’ve been a great addition to this set. There are a few of the Chang Cheh movies I haven’t watched since I packed away all my DVDs. They are always pretty high on my wish list.. The delinquent, police force, trilogy of swordsmanship, king Eagle, trail of the broken blade. I think just about everything else I have someway of watching in HD. I’m sure a bunch of those have been released in Europe, but I’m usually holding out hope for a UK/US release.

Chemical Lemon

In terms of things that will never happen, what I would really love is a Wang Chung box set with the delinquent police force, and a bunch of the crime movies he directed and starred in, mob, fix patrol, the informer, murder pursues.  It won’t ever happen, but I always really liked him, and wish he got more lead roles

43 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

In terms of things that will never happen, what I would really love is a Wang Chung box set with the delinquent police force, and a bunch of the crime movies he directed and starred in, mob, fix patrol, the informer, murder pursues.  It won’t ever happen, but I always really liked him, and wish he got more lead roles

Police Force is out in germany a long time :

https://www.ofdb.de/fassung/9114,456018,Wang-Yung-Stahlharte-Hongkongkiller/

https://www.amazon.de/Police-Force-Stahlharte-Hongkong-Killer-Brothers/dp/B0849Z3K5S/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1IP2V1VK9FEC5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OSDIIM7NLzHgc8vVC43nbOWoLfcbdLofGT26b20OjxRHqZ4h7n5OOQvhGSgW54prBy-PKHFNrUggP1hu7_cJd_eaVvgoWZOy7TmfP4TqddBDkioAxOK3q6QGD6tKVsf7tL0d-3jlaerguiV5MnEUN5h0atwaW4a1x6YO98WKed3J5nvHbbK6FENtfKDz8M7Jxc2_r53KvdeRolyrWpeHN_wheIQRNH7l_5hDhbi3KKo.-N3ljaJ9Kq6fnbu7oc7PS864GGj9Y9apu8w9xde_wJ0&dib_tag=se&keywords=Police+Force&qid=1727493741&s=dvd&sprefix=police+force%2Cdvd%2C113&sr=1-1

It is a not expensive disc now. And it has english subs.

• Like 1

Chemical Lemon
Beardys Feather
18 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Love the idea but if Eureka released this now they'd probably call it Dance Hall Days :monk_swinging:

• Haha 1