The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

2 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

You have made my Christmas! I can't wait for these. Especially Wheels on Meals announced previously. I don't suppose that there any chance of Above the Law (Righting Wrongs) coming soon?

Keep buying and supporting these titles and we can definitely see more films like Righting Wrongs in the future. I personally really want Dreadnaught!! :)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Karlos said:

I think I love you, IronGod2112.

Aww thanks for the love my man. :)

I hope everyone here has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Looking forward to bringing you more quality HK films in 2019 and beyond!!

A big thank you to everyone who has supported these releases so far! :)

• Like 5

Looking forward to Eastern Condors and Wheels on Meals!

While we're at it, I would love to see a boxset consisting of the Lucky Stars trilogy. And seeing how Donnie Yen's popularity has grown tremendously since the Ip Man movies, a boxset of Tiger Cage 1-2 and In the Line of Duty 4 would be great.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, DiP said:

Looking forward to Eastern Condors and Wheels on Meals!

While we're at it, I would love to see a boxset consisting of the Lucky Stars trilogy. And seeing how Donnie Yen's popularity has grown tremendously since the Ip Man movies, a boxset of Tiger Cage 1-2 and In the Line of Duty 4 would be great.

I'd much rather see In The Line of Duty 3, 5, 6, 7 get a proper HD release, which they've never had.

All the movies you mentionned have already enjoyed a BluRay release, and in very good quality at that!

• Like 1

Bluray releases of all titles I mentioned were either upscales with bad audio remixes or released only in Japan. Eureka would greatly improve on that.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Just watched part 1 of the OUATIC Eureka box set. The restoration, although not 100% perfect, looks great and we're not going to have a better version for a long time unless someone forks out the money and time to go back and scan the original camera negatives (which probably don't exist anymore). I also saw the film re-released on 35mm in the early 2000s and a lot of the colors on the bluray look similiar to what I remember back that screening.

Sadly I got bad news. Although the English subtitles (at least for part 1 and I have yet to watch the other discs) are newly translated, they are not the greatest. In fact, they are even poorer than the original subtitles that were used on the 35mm (which served as basis for all DVD/upscale bluray editions afterwards including HKL DVD). There are many errors in the translation and some things are just awful and properly careless. And they even included the "F" word out of nowhere.

E.g. An obvious translation error is when Jet Li says (in the original language and previous existing English subtitles) that "China must change" while the Eureka version says "Tongshan must change". "Tongshan" also refers to "China". Another obvious one was when the general says to Jet Li when handing the fan of "Unequal treaties", "When you see this fan, you see me" was mistranslated as "you see the person". Now, I'm a native English speaker who speaks fluent Chinese and this is a truly a sloppy and poor mistake because the original Chinese does literally say "see the person" but it means "see me". :(

I'll have to re-watch the film again for more translations error but I'm quite saddened about the decreased quality in the English subtitles, unfortunately. I'm worried about part 2 because that film has more classic and poetic (almost Shakespearean like) Chinese dialogue that is even harder to translate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gskmeva said:

Just watched part 1 of the OUATIC Eureka box set. The restoration, although not 100% perfect, looks great and we're not going to have a better version for a long time unless someone forks out the money and time to go back and scan the original camera negatives (which probably don't exist anymore). I also saw the film re-released on 35mm in the early 2000s and a lot of the colors on the bluray look similiar to what I remember back that screening.

Sadly I got bad news. Although the English subtitles (at least for part 1 and I have yet to watch the other discs) are newly translated, they are not the greatest. In fact, they are even poorer than the original subtitles that were used on the 35mm (which served as basis for all DVD/upscale bluray editions afterwards including HKL DVD). There are many errors in the translation and some things are just awful and properly careless. And they even included the "F" word out of nowhere.

E.g. An obvious translation error is when Jet Li says (in the original language and previous existing English subtitles) that "China must change" while the Eureka version says "Tongshan must change". "Tongshan" also refers to "China". Another obvious one was when the general says to Jet Li when handing the fan of "Unequal treaties", "When you see this fan, you see me" was mistranslated as "you see the person". Now, I'm a native English speaker who speaks fluent Chinese and this is a truly a sloppy and poor mistake because the original Chinese does literally say "see the person" but it means "see me". :(

I'll have to re-watch the film again for more translations error but I'm quite saddened about the decreased quality in the English subtitles, unfortunately. I'm worried about part 2 because that film has more classic and poetic (almost Shakespearean like) Chinese dialogue that is even harder to translate.

That's a really interesting take on the subtitles issue, personally I've never had a problem with the subs on previous versions but a small minority insist it's a massive problem if there has been a "mistranslation". From what you're saying they've now given a more literal translation but in doing so have lost the meaning of the dialogue, I've never really understood why non cantonese speakers would claim to be an authority on this subject anyway.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, thehangman said:

wish we could get pantyhose hero and enter the fat Dragon remastered,sadly dont think that will happen anytime soon

These two Sammo scorchers poppin' up on BD ? Guess before that happens we'll see the full rehabilitation of Harvey Weinstein... 🤣

Lee Hoi-San as a Minstrel show escapee in ETFD, 'homophobic' joke-crackin' in PH... Nah, won't happen, blood, no way. PANTYHOSE  HERO didn't even get a DVD release back in the day, VCD only.

• Like 2

I'm so used to nonsensical subs on Girls with Guns B-movies that I can definitely tolerate less than ideal subs on OUATIC

However, one is left to wonder... why didn't they use the old subs instead of making new ones (and failing at it)?

• Like 1

Former forum member Markgway did the subs for this i believe and he's a stickler for accuracy so i'm surprised to see a post criticising them as poor. I haven't a clue personally but over at BD.COM someone mentioned the F word and Mark insisted they were an an accurate translation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, saltysam said:

Former forum member Markgway did the subs for this i believe and he's a stickler for accuracy so i'm surprised to see a post criticising them as poor. I haven't a clue personally but over at BD.COM someone mentioned the F word and Mark insisted they were an an accurate translation.

The criticism might come from Mark's choice of accuracy, and possibly losing the nuance of the dialogue versus something of a more liberal translation which kept the exact meaning. I've had no problems with the subs so far, but that might be how others are seeing it.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 1:33 AM, Irongod2112 said:
21 hours ago, andy338 said:

That's a really interesting take on the subtitles issue, personally I've never had a problem with the subs on previous versions but a small minority insist it's a massive problem if there has been a "mistranslation". From what you're saying they've now given a more literal translation but in doing so have lost the meaning of the dialogue, I've never really understood why non cantonese speakers would claim to be an authority on this subject anyway.

Because we obviously know that the English subtitles in many HK films written by non-English HK Cantonese speakers were any better, right? LOL 

Now, I'm a big OUATIC fan and have seen the first two films (never really cared for part 3) on many formats. I'm just stating a fact that there are a mistakes throughout the Eureka bluray of OUATIC 1. I'm an Asian-American who speaks fluent Chinese, graduated with a degree in Chinese, studied at Peking University, worked and lived in China since 2004 and now a professional translator, so I have some experience in this field. 

Now the history is that the previous translations of OUATIC 1 on DVD/upscaled bluray were pretty much borrowed from the original 35mm theatrical subtitles (I have the VCD). For the most part, they were good (though they I wished they kept "China man" slur from the original theatrical translation but has been translated as "China devil" since). OUATIC 2 is a whole other story because the original theatrical subtitles weren't great (I also have the VCD) and the dialogue is a lot tougher to translate.

Maybe I was a bit harsh. I do think the new translation has improved in some areas but could be even better.

Edited by gskmeva
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Asmo said:

The criticism might come from Mark's choice of accuracy, and possibly losing the nuance of the dialogue versus something of a more liberal translation which kept the exact meaning. I've had no problems with the subs so far, but that might be how others are seeing it.

For me as a professional translator, it's a battle to either translate directly or be more liberal. I personally take a position in between which is called "transliteration". It loses some accuracy but still has some of the original flavor while allowing the targeted audience to still feel and understand. 

The problem with Mark's translation is not the problem of being accurate or anything. In fact, his translation is pretty good (and in some ways better than the previous translations) but they are mistakes where they're shouldn't be, which I addressed in my post before.

Edited by gskmeva
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, gskmeva said:

For me as a professional translator, it's a battle to either translate directly or be more liberal. I personally take a position in between which is called "transliteration". It loses some accuracy but still has some of the original flavor while allowing the targeted audience to still feel and understand. 

The problem with Mark's translation is not the problem of being accurate or anything. In fact, his translation is pretty good (and in some ways better than the previous translations) but they are mistakes where they're shouldn't be, which I addressed in my post before.

I have a bit of translation experience, and I do agree that it's quite a battle to achieve that balance.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight! I might have missed these mistakes, but then my Cantonese is rough at best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asmo said:

I have a bit of translation experience, and I do agree that it's quite a battle to achieve that balance.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight! I might have missed these mistakes, but then my Cantonese is rough at best.

Yes, perhaps I was a bit harsh but I was just very surprised there's some lack of consistency in the new translation. It's a mix of Cantonese and Mandarin romanisation for Chinese names and places. For example, "Shahe" gang (which is Mandarin) rather than "Shaho" (Cantonese). 

Interesting thing, I actually talked to the guy on Facebook who added English translations for the song in OUATIC 2 sung by the blind erhu player. They were added last minute and I double checked them and they're great! 

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
On 12/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Hello everyone! :)

Some of you probably know by now I have been assisting Eureka with all the Hong Kong releases.

I hope you all have been enjoying the releases so far. :)

Alot of love is going into them that's for sure. I had originally planned to be more active in this thread, but it's always dead.

Hopefully with the announcement of the upcoming 2019 titles it will get more active in here. :)

Here is what is currently confirmed for 2019

Wheels on Meals

Hand of Death/Last Hurrah for Chivalry (box set)

Eastern Condors/Magnificent Butcher/Iron Fisted Monk

Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain

I have already been working on getting the best quality original language audio tracks & making sure we get them classic English dubs on all the upcoming releases.

:)

Do you have any idea yet on release dates or rough time frame on these?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Do you have any idea yet on release dates or rough time frame on these?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the order that I have them listed. Expect an announcement on the next title pretty soon. With the rest coming in the spring / summer. :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone!!

Happy New Year! :)

Still looking for help on a few of the upcoming Eureka releases.

Looking for the following laserdiscs & DVDs to compare audio tracks.

If anyone has any of these listed below and can rip audio from them please PM me. :)

Magnificent Butcher - Japanese laserdisc 

Iron Fisted Monk - French HKV DVD

Iron Fisted Monk - Deltamac DVD

Iron Fisted Monk - Joy Sales DVD

Looking for other audio tracks for possible Eureka titles as well so if you have a large laserdisc or DVD collection and can rip audio please contact me. :)

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Only 4000 copies of Wheels on Meals will be made so get your pre-orders in!

47585696_144337109896985_2935039565284811307_n.jpg

I think the 4000 copies refers to the limited edition with the slipcase & booklet.

• Like 1