The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Drunken Monk
Just now, AslanBey said:

I dont know if I'm wrong but I think I dont really like Jimmy Wang Yu. He has a certain charm as an actor - no doubt. But his martial arts skills (afaik he wasnit trained in MA??) dont get me. Of course it is heavily related with the choregraphy and the direction but the movies I saw so far did definitely not convince me to take them into my MA-collection. If this one plays in the same league as one armed boxer or chinese boxer I'll pass on this.

Any recommendations for this release? Or other Wang Yu movies which are better than OAB or CB for example?

I'd say One-Armed BoxerMaster of the Flying Guillotine and The Chinese Boxer are top tear Wang Yu. But if you haven't seen The One-Armed Swordsman and it's sequel, you have to check them out. Beach of the War Gods is fantastic too. The Man from Hong Hong may be my favoeite of his. Just a massively enjoyable and fun film. Sammo did the fight choreogrpahy. Return of the Chinese Boxer is solid too.

• Like 6

DrNgor
5 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'd say One-Armed BoxerMaster of the Flying Guillotine and The Chinese Boxer are top tear Wang Yu. But if you haven't seen The One-Armed Swordsman and it's sequel, you have to check them out. Beach of the War Gods is fantastic too. The Man from Hong Hong may be my favoeite of his. Just a massively enjoyable and fun film. Sammo did the fight choreogrpahy. Return of the Chinese Boxer is solid too.

I'd also recommend Sword of Swords, which is on the Shaw Brothers Volume 1 Box Set from Shout! Factory.

• Like 3

ShawAngela
6 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Any recommendations for this release? Or other Wang Yu movies which are better than OAB or CB for example?

I'm not really objective as I love Wang Yu a lot, but here are some of my favorite movies of his :

Rage of the masters

Iron man

Furious slaughter

The invincible sword

The lantern street

Asia Pol

The sword of swords

Trail of the broken blade

The man from Hong Kong

My son

The brave and the evil

Showdown

The invincible

The fast fists

Seaman n°7

Four real friends

The great hunter

The double double cross

I didn't mention his most famous movies at the Shaws' and some other ones, but these ones are very good for me.

• Like 7

MobFu1972
14 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

I dont know if I'm wrong but I think I dont really like Jimmy Wang Yu. He has a certain charm as an actor - no doubt. But his martial arts skills (afaik he wasnit trained in MA??) dont get me. Of course it is heavily related with the choregraphy and the direction but the movies I saw so far did definitely not convince me to take them into my MA-collection. If this one plays in the same league as one armed boxer or chinese boxer I'll pass on this.

I would sat Wang Yu is definitely an acquired taste for sure. You either love him or not. Sloppy choreography but he surely has a charm and ego that is one a kind. I am definitely a fan but proceed with caution ⚠️ 😅 😏 ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• Like 4

Yggdrasil
33 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

I thought Jimmy was sound until I listened to some audio commentary where he used to catch flies with his mouth before doing kissing scenes with this (can't remember) white woman.

Now I think he's a tosser.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

dionbrother
1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

I thought Jimmy was sound until I listened to some audio commentary where he used to catch flies with his mouth before doing kissing scenes with this (can't remember) white woman.

Now I think he's a tosser.

It's a curious story because Brian Trenchard Smith said Wang Yu only pretended to catch flies.  He also said Jimmy apologized to him at the premiere for being a dick during filming.  It's all anecdotal, so who knows what the truth was.  A lot of actors are difficult. Jimmy is not unique in that aspect.

• Like 3

saltysam

100% in for Man Called Tiger.have it on the Shout Wang Yu dvd set but an 112 minute version restored in 2k? Wow

• Like 5

Yihetuan
On 5/23/2024 at 10:18 AM, saltysam said:

100% in for Man Called Tiger.have it on the Shout Wang Yu dvd set but an 112 minute version restored in 2k? Wow

Cobbling together the Mandarin track is the real attraction.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 19-27-16 Home _ X.png

• Like 6
  • Love 2

TheFlyingPanda

I agree that  One-Armed BoxerMaster of the Flying Guillotine and The Chinese Boxer and Beach of The Wargods are the best and I gotta say.. I like the Return of the Chinese boxer,but Im still all in for The Man Called Tiger. Eureka! is killing it . 

• Like 6

OldPangYau

For clues for three months away, just look at today. No second chance, but a third and fourth dance.

nahnahnah
38 minutes ago, OldPangYau said:

For clues for three months away, just look at today. No second chance, but a third and fourth dance.

what-in-the-hell-what-are-you-talking-ab

Yihetuan

Looks like Eureka fixed the cover for Karate Bearfighter. It no longer looks like Seinny Chiba. Props to them for fixing this issue

TC8CQvX.jpeg

• Haha 1

Chemical Lemon
1 hour ago, OldPangYau said:

Based on this clue and the fact that miracle fighters just came out I want this to mean it’s Taoism Drunkard and Drunken Tai Chi (Shaolin Drunkard would be the 2nd which is missing). That’s probably a stretch. Not sure if that image is in either of them but wouldn’t be out of place if it was

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk
20 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Based on this clue and the fact that miracle fighters just came out I want this to mean it’s Taoism Drunkard and Drunken Tai Chi (Shaolin Drunkard would be the 2nd which is missing). That’s probably a stretch. Not sure if that image is in either of them but wouldn’t be out of place if it was

That sounds like a pretty solid guess. His clue says, "Just look at today" and today, in Taoism, it's the day of the Happy Ghost Festival. I could be looking a litle too deeply at that though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OldPangYau
2 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

what-in-the-hell-what-are-you-talking-ab

Guess I'll have to explain after the announcements, lol. Though some are very much on the right path.

• Like 3

Yihetuan

As long as it's not Johnny To's Election or Lifeline, I'll be happy since I already have those releases from other boutique labels. Chinese triad hand signs & lifeline in the palm.

• Like 2

nahnahnah
21 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

That sounds like a pretty solid guess. His clue says, "Just look at today" and today, in Taoism, it's the day of the Happy Ghost Festival. I could be looking a litle too deeply at that though.

Maybe it's for The Happy Ghost series? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ironfistedmonk
23 hours ago, OldPangYau said:

You Americans won't get this but I'm getting 3-2-1 vibes :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OldPangYau

There's been one (partially) correct guess in here so far... and NONE on the blu-ray.com forum 🤣 

Chemical Lemon
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, OldPangYau said:

There's been one (partially) correct guess in here so far... and NONE on the blu-ray.com forum 🤣 

God I want Taoism Drunkard so bad I have to double down on that and swap Drunken Tai Chi out for The Young Taoism Fighter. I’m riding this wave all the way to disappointment. 

Edit:  I’m actually starting to convince myself. Both are owned by fortune star (or at least were in the dvd days) unlike Shaolin drunkard and Drunken Tai Chi. And both have Taoism in the name which makes for a good double feature. 

Edited by Chemical Lemon

It's the hand with scribbly thingies on it-film. My favourite. Glad it's being released.

• Haha 2

Yggdrasil
4 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

You Americans won't get this but I'm getting 3-2-1 vibes :D

I'm a Brit and I've never seen 3, 2, 1 before. Bullseye, yes, The Price is right, yes, Blankety Blank, yes, Generation Game, yes.

3, 2, 1  - No.

OldPangYau
4 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

God I want Taoism Drunkard so bad I have to double down on that and swap Drunken Tai Chi out for The Young Taoism Fighter. I’m riding this wave all the way to disappointment. 

Edit:  I’m actually starting to convince myself. Both are owned by fortune star (or at least were in the dvd days) unlike Shaolin drunkard and Drunken Tai Chi. And both have Taoism in the name which makes for a good double feature. 

whose line is it anyway GIF

• Haha 1