The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Saw that on Fortune Star vcd. Going by gut feeling, there's a chance a release could have a Hong Kong and export cut. That's what I buy many releases for mainly. 

• Like 1

I've got  Queens Ransom on the Shout DVD. It's not a good movie but i found it an entertaining one. Not sure if it's a title strong enough on it's own, would make for a solid double feature with Stoner.I'll get it anyway.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

starschwar

Fantasy Mission Force!  There's a scene of Chinese Scotsmen parading before the Union Jack for no narrative reason whatsoever.  And that isn't even close to the top ten strangest moments in that movie.  Maybe not top twenty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, starschwar said:

Fantasy Mission Force!  There's a scene of Chinese Scotsmen parading before the Union Jack for no narrative reason whatsoever.  And that isn't even close to the top ten strangest moments in that movie.  Maybe not top twenty.

This is the kind of thinking that should be more widespread. Granted, Fantasy Mission Force is on blu ray so I don't feel like it's missing from my life. But obviously it needs a Masters Of Cinema-release.

• Haha 1

starschwar
11 minutes ago, Knetan said:

This is the kind of thinking that should be more widespread. Granted, Fantasy Mission Force is on blu ray so I don't feel like it's missing from my life. But obviously it needs a Masters Of Cinema-release.

Thanks.  I think!    I know it had a Blu-Ray release in Germany, but isn't it out of print?  Regardless, it needs the 88/Eureka/Arrow treatment for certain.  Gotta get that Fire Dragon version on there.  I'm sure there's all sorts of other obscure versions begging for an "ultimate cut".  And maybe a "What?  Why?" documentary is in order.  As for the audio commentary - bench the experts for once.  Get someone with no prior experience with the film and get their raw "what the hell is happening" reactions.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 1

I'm team Chu Yen-ping, don't you worry. The Fire Dragon cut is a good shout out. The German blu might be out of print yes. I have an issue with the title of the proposed documentary, It should be called: "Wait, What?".

• Like 2

starschwar
26 minutes ago, Knetan said:

I'm team Chu Yen-ping, don't you worry. The Fire Dragon cut is a good shout out. The German blu might be out of print yes. I have an issue with the title of the proposed documentary, It should be called: "Wait, What?".

Do any of his other movies get that bonkers?  The only other one I've seen is Island of Fire which is remarkably sane by comparison.

Island of Fire is great if you haven't seen any films because it contains ALL films.

He's an inconsistent director but you can't go wrong with Golden Queen's Commando and Pink Force Commando if you like Fansty Mission Force. Those are time warps, to say the least.

• Like 2

tomgray2404

Queen's Ransom is absolute dross, but I'll buy it just because it's the early 70s.

Bolo wearing a size small vest, and Lazenby screwing someone in Bruce's old office. Have I got the right movie?

Also, any chance we get Stoner and The Tournament?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The Tournament is coming  out in Germany so if it's been restored i'd say a Eureka release is almost certainly forthcoming.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, saltysam said:

The Tournament is coming  out in Germany so if it's been restored i'd say a Eureka release is almost certainly forthcoming.

The Valiant Ones by King Hu is coming out on 4K. Here's the cover for A Queen's Ransom.

tvo-4k-jpg.jpg

tvo-br-jpg.jpg

aqr-jpg.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Curious how Eureka are dealing with the hard coded subtitles on The Valiant Ones (which is how the Hong Kong Film Archive presented it). It didn't and wouldn't bother me however.

But hopefully working from a new restoration, from a print without permanent subs.

Edited by Knetan
  • Like 1

ShawAngela

It looks like The Valiant Ones has a certain success among the companies, since after the release by the HKFA, there will also be a release by Spectrum (with a really beautiful cover) and now Eureka. I wonder which other company will also release it... 

• Like 1

I haven't read the massive booklet yet but that's always a great feature from the Hong Kong Film Archive.

I hope they (Eureka) got Tony Rayns involved for The Valiant Ones release as he is the voice and face for King Hu releases in my book. I would guess a 20-30 minute video piece or a select scene-commentary from Tony will be part of the extras and that's more than enough for me.

• Like 1

nahnahnah

It would be exciting if they were able to add the The King of Wuxia documentary as a part of the release. I was also hoping that they upgrade Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen to 4K but maybe that will be later.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

6 hours ago, Knetan said:

I haven't read the massive booklet yet but that's always a great feature from the Hong Kong Film Archive.

I hope they (Eureka) got Tony Rayns involved for The Valiant Ones release as he is the voice and face for King Hu releases in my book. I would guess a 20-30 minute video piece or a select scene-commentary from Tony will be part of the extras and that's more than enough for me.

They do have Tony Rayns and also newly optional translated subs just for this release but are these in addition to the hard coded so they overlay?

Very happy to see Tony involved. Yea I'm wondering if everyone is working from the hardcoded subs print and therefore you either crop the bottom, which is a no go, or do a professional, smooth overlay. Time will tell, unless someone asks Eureka at this stage.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
24 minutes ago, Knetan said:

Very happy to see Tony involved. Yea I'm wondering if everyone is working from the hardcoded subs print and therefore you either crop the bottom, which is a no go, or do a professional, smooth overlay. Time will tell, unless someone asks Eureka at this stage.

On Arrow's recent Big Boss restoration, the new subtitles for the bits exclusive to the longer Mandarin version were in a black box over the originals, and were optional.

lastninja
9 hours ago, Knetan said:

Curious how Eureka are dealing with the hard coded subtitles on The Valiant Ones (which is how the Hong Kong Film Archive presented it). It didn't and wouldn't bother me however.

But hopefully working from a new restoration, from a print without permanent subs.

As long as they don't handle it like in the German release, where they simply cut away the bottom edge of the picture with the burned-in subtitles, I'm fine with everything.

• Like 1