The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

I thought about preordering China o Brien together with black mask (which is a blindbuy for me...Jet Li...)

But the trailer didnt turn me on. I like Cynthia very much, but the trailer doesnt give me the HK feeling.

What kind of production is this movie? Not similar to our everyday HKstuff right? 

I watched China O'Brien for the first time in years about 7-8 months ago. I think GH were invoved but it's an American film and tbh it hadn't aged well. But it was a rubbish copy,this movie has never had a good quality home video release so i'm hoping seeing it again in super quality will give it a new lease of life.

• Like 3

Yggdrasil
6 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Black Mask & China O' Brien I & II Blu ray + UHD are the 2 announced releases.

Screenshot_20240125-070548.png

Screenshot_20240125-070431.png

Now Eureka have decided to branch over to the other side the pond, would this make it easier for them to release films that otherwise the BBFC or the RSPCA would like to cut?

I wouldn't want any of my films to be cut, so now rather thsn me now buying these new releases, I'll need to find out if the Blighty ones are the cut ones before I buy them.

27 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Now Eureka have decided to branch over to the other side the pond, would this make it easier for them to release films that otherwise the BBFC or the RSPCA would like to cut?

I wouldn't want any of my films to be cut, so now rather thsn me now buying these new releases, I'll need to find out if the Blighty ones are the cut ones before I buy them.

But Eureka will still continue to release region B UK specific releases like the China O'Brien films so they'll still have to pass muster with the BBFC regardless. Rather than easing censorship restrictions, it appears more a move to appease the Region locked customer base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

I pre-ordered Black Mask and China O'Brien 4k from HMV, using the 20% off referral code that's been around a good while.

It's actually cheaper for me to pre-order the UK edition of Black Mask since it's uncut either way. I don't mind the minor regional packaging differences (the 15 rating emblazoned across the front cover) to save a few bucks.

As far as China O'Brien, I'm not a huge fan of it but I do enjoy Cynthia Rothrock and will probably pick up the VS edition just to continue to support these releases.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

If China O'Brien is as good as Sworn Revenge, than I'll get this one. A few weeks ago, I was about to buy the dvds, and I'm glad that I didn't do it!

I like it better than SWORN REVENGE.

I'm glad you didn't pick up the DVDs right before this announcement. :bigsmile:

3 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

China is blind buy for me too but apparance of Norton and Keith Cooke(have seen him only in King of kickboxers, he has very smooth kicks) gives confidence enough for purchase. Not sure about black mask, haven`t seen it and trailer is not so impressive.

To me, BLACK MASK feels like the extreme craziness of '93 Hong Kong (though it's a 1996 production) when it felt like anything could happen in a movie. :nerd: (Minor spoilers ahead) Basically, it's a dark take on a Captain America / Universal Soldiers situation with insane, brutal action, Jet Li and Lau Ching-Wan playing off each other in the best way, a quirky, strangely sexy Karen Mok, colorful villains, and a perfect, comic-bookish look with colored lights and canted angles. It flies by and never bores.

3 hours ago, tomgray2404 said:

I LOVE Cynthia.

I LOVE Cynthia in every HK action film she's in.

HOWEVER, China O'Brien is a bucket of thick gooey piss from someone who was badly dehydrated. I couldn't even get through the second one.

1 hour ago, AslanBey said:

I thought about preordering China o Brien together with black mask (which is a blindbuy for me...Jet Li...)

But the trailer didnt turn me on. I like Cynthia very much, but the trailer doesnt give me the HK feeling.

What kind of production is this movie? Not similar to our everyday HKstuff right? 

My take on CHINA O'BRIEN: This was given to me as VHS screener when I worked at a little video store as... it was martial arts and included my last name. :tongueout Heheheh. It may have been co-produced by Golden Harvest, but it looks and feels like a US production. The script is standard, and no one involved is going to win any acting awards for their work here, but Cynthia has a likable personality, and she, Richard Norton, and Keith Cooke deliver some hard-hitting action in the fights. The choreography and editing are less intricate than her Hong Kong work, but probably more realistic as far as martial arts on the streets go (still very only in a movie, though). Each of them gets to show their skills impressively, despite Robert Clouse's directing (hey, it's still better than GYMKATA). The first film is one of, if not my favorite, of her non-Hong Kong movies. The sequel is silly fun too.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Black Mask & China O' Brien I & II Blu ray + UHD are the 2 announced releases.

Screenshot_20240125-070548.png

Screenshot_20240125-070431.png

One of my favorite Jet Li movies. And in four different cuts!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DiP said:

One of my favorite Jet Li movies. And in four different cuts!

Did you ever get the German TVP mediabook version that came out several years ago? I know this will be a major upgrade over that 4 disc blu ray set as that version had the 'cut' scenes inserted from a lower quality VHS source.

• Like 1

Is it confirmed that Eureka are working from better elements from the Taiwanese, extended version? To be honest I didn't mind the switch in quality on the German disc. I'd rather have the footage that way than not at all.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Knetan said:

Is it confirmed that Eureka are working from better elements from the Taiwanese, extended version? To be honest I didn't mind the switch in quality on the German disc. I'd rather have the footage that way than not at all.

Yes, you're right. They didn't confirm it at all, so the Taiwanese cut will be the same as the TVP. I too prefer as complete a version as they can release even with the lesser quality inserts.

That cut was more valuable when all we had was the Hong Kong version with censor cuts. The Taiwan cut not only gave us some mildly interesting extensions and new scenes but the the full or close to the full, violent picture.

Nowadays the Hong Kong version on video has as far as I remember the censor cuts reinstated so there's not much exclusivity these days in the Taiwan version. So it's nice to have as a FULL supplement but I won't be bothered at all if it's the same, old, burned in subs extra scenes.

Niklaus Vogel
On 1/24/2024 at 8:16 AM, saltysam said:

Is Svet some kind of a Leeder/Venema fanboy? Not a word about the Djeng/Worth commentary but salivating all over both the Leeder/Venema commentary and their feature which is probably just the two of them sitting and chatting, like the one they did on the beach for BEACH OF THE WAR GODS.  The RETURN TO SLAUGHTER featurette sounds much more interesting with visits to the locations, and looks like Michael talked to Don Wong Dao recently for it!

Edited by Niklaus Vogel
  • Confused 1

I'm surprised bluray.com reviewed any of the commentaries. Seems like 9 out of 10 times they skip over such features (presumably because they want to push the review out quick. Still don't agree on an incomplete review though).

The few times they've reviewed discs me and Paul have been on or Phil, they've merely mentioned that there is a commentary, but no notes on it. 

Edited by Knetan
  • Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
14 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Did you ever get the German TVP mediabook version that came out several years ago? I know this will be a major upgrade over that 4 disc blu ray set as that version had the 'cut' scenes inserted from a lower quality VHS source.

That was an amazing release with some magic behind-the-scenes work by Mirko of TVP- The Vengeance Pack. I was proud to be a part of that initial release.

9 hours ago, Knetan said:

4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Yes, you're right. They didn't confirm it at all, so the Taiwanese cut will be the same as the TVP. I too prefer as complete a version as they can release even with the lesser quality inserts.

Just because it hasn't been confirmed yet doesn't mean you should assume anything. With these releases a lot of stuff doesn't happen until the last minute, so they don't pre-announce certain details. For instance, when Eureka's three-film Jet Li set was announced, people said things like "I won't be buying this because it doesn't include both versions of DR. WAI" simply because there was no mention of its inclusion in the initial announcement. These fans didn't know for sure but assumed they did. Let's voice our wants in case the right people are listening (they usually are), hope for the best, and wait and see. :bigsmile: 

3 hours ago, Niklaus Vogel said:

Is Svet some kind of a Leeder/Venema fanboy? Not a word about the Djeng/Worth commentary but salivating all over both the Leeder/Venema commentary and their feature which is probably just the two of them sitting and chatting, like the one they did on the beach for BEACH OF THE WAR GODS.  The RETURN TO SLAUGHTER featurette sounds much more interesting with visits to the locations, and looks like Michael talked to Don Wong Dao recently for it!

Yes, he's mentioned many times being a fan of Mike and Arne's audio commentaries (which I also enjoy).

I'm much more interested in the extras than I am in the film in SLAUGHTER's case. :tongue:

3 hours ago, Knetan said:

I'm surprised bluray.com reviewed any of the commentaries. Seems like 9 out of 10 times they skip over such features (presumably because they want to push the review out quick. Still don't agree on an incomplete review though).

The few times they've reviewed discs me and Paul have been on or Phil, they've merely mentioned that there is a commentary, but no notes on it. 

I agree that it's frustrating when there isn't any info on the other audio commentaries. These are part of the releases and should be reviewed- not just listed/mentioned. THE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW. :neutral:

@Knetan, not only has bluray.com not mentioned any of the audio commentaries I worked on... they haven't even reviewed those three releases! So at least you're ahead of me in that regard. :wink:

• Like 3

@KUNG FU BOB, I don't want it to seem like I was bad mouthing the TVP release. I definitely appreciate Mirko's efforts & I own pretty every release he put out that was English friendly plus I know he's gone through some tough personal issues the past couple years and he's not as active of late but he has my admiration & respect.

21 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

No, I never did. The video quality (it's practically the same as the old US bluray also using the butchered version of the movie) is what hindered me from buying it.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
23 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@KUNG FU BOB, I don't want it to seem like I was bad mouthing the TVP release. I definitely appreciate Mirko's efforts & I own pretty every release he put out that was English friendly plus I know he's gone through some tough personal issues the past couple years and he's not as active of late but he has my admiration & respect.

No, I didn't think you were doing that @Yihetuan I just wanted to show some love for Mirko and TVP's previous efforts. Any release that comes after theirs will be built on the sturdy foundation of "what should be done" that they already laid down. The multiple versions, the reinsertion of missing footage, etc.

18 hours ago, DiP said:

No, I never did. The video quality (it's practically the same as the old US bluray also using the butchered version of the movie) is what hindered me from buying it.

@DiP I thought there was a nice uptick in picture quality on the TVP Blu-ray. And it wasn't just a butchered version of the film, it also included:

4-Disc Limited Deluxe Edition:

- Wattirtes and Embossed Mediabook

- Includes Semi-Slipcase

- 28-page Booklet with writing by Nando Rohner

- Mini Poster (A-4): Double-sided with HK Poster art & New Art by KFB O'Brien

- Contains 2 Blu-rays and 2 DVDs

- 4 Cuts of the film:

Hong Kong Version:
Running Time: 99 mins.
Audio: Cantonese DTS HD MA 5.1, German DD 2.0, German 5.1
Subtitles: English, German

International Version (USA version but with more violence intact):
Running Time: 86 mins.
Audio: English DTS HD MA 5.1, German 2.0, German 5.1
Subtitles: German

TVP's Version* (German Version with more nudity and violence) :
(Contains SD inserts)
Running Time: approx. 88 mins.
Audio: English DD 2.0, German DD 2.0
Subtitles: None

Extended Version* (Contains all footage from every version!!!):
(Contains SD inserts)
Running Time: 101 mins.
Audio: Cantonese 2.0, German 2.0
Subtitles: English, German

- Bonus: Original Trailers, TVP Trailer, "Making of" Feature, Alternative Credits, Music Video, Easter Egg

- Image Ratio: 1:78:1

- Region 0 (Plays in all Blu-ray players worldwide)

* This Version only on Blu-Ray

That's a rather comprehensive release in my opinion. :bigsmile:

• Like 4

lastninja
On 1/25/2024 at 11:22 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

... It may have been co-produced by Golden Harvest, but it looks and feels like a US production. The script is standard, and no one involved is going to win any acting awards for their work here, but Cynthia has a likable personality, and she, Richard Norton, and Keith Cooke deliver some hard-hitting action in the fights. The choreography and editing are less intricate than her Hong Kong work, but probably more realistic as far as martial arts on the streets go (still very only in a movie, though). Each of them gets to show their skills impressively, despite Robert Clouse's directing (hey, it's still better than GYMKATA). The first film is one of, if not my favorite, of her non-Hong Kong movies. The sequel is silly fun too.

I see it exactly that way. I saw the fights for the first time in the documentary "The Best of Martial Arts films", which was available in our video stores earlier than the films themselves. When I saw them I knew that I had to have them. Who cares about the acting or the weak script.

• Haha 2

Probably the only one who loves this, Don Wong and his swingy kung fu, Chuck chomping on cigars, corrupt cops, bike chases and all now finally in HD! Can't wait to watch :laugh

sl2.jpg

sl1.jpg

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

AlexanderFu

Usually, I like just about anything in the genre, but Slaughter in S.F. was kind of bad. I bought it like most of the new releases and it really did look fantastic compared to what I had before that. Cannot wait for Mystery of Chess Boxing!!!! 

• Like 2

ShawAngela
On 2/9/2024 at 4:55 PM, saltysam said:

Probably the only one who loves this, Don Wong and his swingy kung fu, Chuck chomping on cigars, corrupt cops, bike chases and all now finally in HD! Can't wait to watch :laugh

sl2.jpg

sl1.jpg

And a beautiful art on the slipcae!

Have a feeling I'll be hate-watching Yellow Faced Tiger. But I did order it, because I like seeing what editing does to Lo Wei-movies, and put those into my research-archive. Always learn, even about the zero stars-films :)

Edited by Knetan

ShawAngela

That's so strange that there are so many people who don't like this movie or some of the other movies directed by Lo Wei at Golden Harvest. Of course, to each his/her taste, but for me, they are all very good. These last days, I watched his Jackie Chan's movies and I loved them, and when I Watched Slaughter in San Francisco Asia Line version a while ago, I also loved it...

And of course, I love all Lo Wei's movies at the Shaws'.

• Like 5

Killer Meteor

Lo Wei suddenly seemed to loose all interest in making good movies around '73 - there is a noticeable drop in quality with A MAN CALLED TIGER that persisits until DRAGON FIST. Mind you, he spent most of the production of SISF sneaking off to Vegas to gamble!