The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

BigDruDogg

Does anyone know any known differences between the upcoming Eureka release of Samurai Wolf 1/2 vs the Film Movement version from last year?

I'm trying to talk myself out of double dipping per usual :rofl

38 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

Does anyone know any known differences between the upcoming Eureka release of Samurai Wolf 1/2 vs the Film Movement version from last year?

No idea in terms of the PQ differences if they're using a different encoding. But the only difference in terms of extras is Eureka has a new audio commentary track for Samurai Wolf 2 by Jasper Sharp (both versions use the Chris Poggiali for the first film) and different booklets for both versions. Eureka has one written by Tom Mes whilst the Film Movement's booklet is written by Robin Gatto. I've never heard of Robin Gatto until a few years ago when he guested on POF's ep about Hideo Gosha.

• Like 3

BigDruDogg
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

No idea in terms of the PQ differences if they're using a different encoding. But the only difference in terms of extras is Eureka has a new audio commentary track for Samurai Wolf 2 by Jasper Sharp (both versions use the Chris Poggiali for the first film) and different booklets for both versions. Eureka has one written by Tom Mes whilst the Film Movement's booklet is written by Robin Gatto. I've never heard of Robin Gatto until a few years ago when he guested on POF's ep about Hideo Gosha.

Thanks! I remember last year Film Movement Released a slightly censored version of Violent Streets and Eureka ended up releasing the Uncut version a few months later, so I was just trying to see if this fell into the same situation.

I do love supporting Eureka regardless, but I'm trying a foreign concept of saving for once?!!

40 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

Thanks! I remember last year Film Movement Released a slightly censored version of Violent Streets and Eureka ended up releasing the Uncut version a few months later, so I was just trying to see if this fell into the same situation.

I do love supporting Eureka regardless, but I'm trying a foreign concept of saving for once?!!

You have it the other way around. It was Eureka who had the censored version due to the BBFC cut of the exploding chickens in the shootout scene while Film Movement released their blu ray uncut.

You don't have to worry about that situation with this title as both Film Movement and Eureka released both films uncut.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

"The release introduces Toei's recent 2K restorations of the two films. In the United States, Film Movement introduced these restorations with this release earlier this year.

On this release, the gamma levels on the presentations of Samurai Wolf and Samurai Wolf II: Hell Cut are set differently. (I mentioned in our review of the Film Movement release that gamma levels there are not set properly. A high-end player can make adjustments on the fly, but for obvious reasons, this is not an ideal scenario). As a result, the dynamic range of the visuals is superior. However, there are a couple of indoor/nighttime segments where it appears that some of the blacks begin to crush a bit now."

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Samurai-Wolf-I-and-II-Blu-ray/348336/#Review

• Like 4

On 1/12/2024 at 5:10 AM, Daxtreme said:

amazing!

I think Eureka expanding to the US is bad news. It means whenever Eureka screws up, we'll be stuck with the same screwed up version on both continents for years to come. Arrow's Female Prisoner Scorpion abomination is a good (terrible) example. Much better if US and UK releases are handled by different companies who may hopefully fix errors found in earlier releases. Eureka's green tinted Bullet Train is a good example: Discotek did their own colour correction for the US release that came out later. Likewise Criterion corrected some shortcomings found in Eureka's Once Upon a Time in China discs as far as I recall. Eureka in turn reportedly fixed the incorrectly set gamma levels on Film Movement's Samurai Wolf discs. And while both Eureka and 88's Police Story 3 UHD's seem fine, I love that we have two UHD's with different transfers so you can choose the one which appeals to you better.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 10

"Following last week's announcement that we have signed a distribution deal with the US production and distribution company MVD Entertainment and are launching our award-winning Blu-ray label into North America later this year. We can now reveal more details about the deal.

The deal has been handled in the UK by Kevin Lambert, formerly Head of Content at Arrow, who returned to Eureka! in July 2023 as its Head of Content.

“It’s extremely exciting to be partnering with MVD for our North American physical and digital distribution. We can’t wait to get our first releases out to US retailers, and we look forward to bringing the best of auteur and classic cinema, including our celebrated Masters of Cinema series, to a wider audience. It is a big new step forward for the company, and I’m sure Blu-ray collectors will be thrilled to have another of the world’s best labels available in North America” he said.

MVD Entertainment Group’s Director of Home Video Sales and Acquisitions, Eric D. Wilkinson, commented, "MVD Entertainment Group is thrilled to be partnering with Eureka Entertainment and help bring this premium collector's label to North America. I very much look forward to working with the Eureka! team and am even more excited to be adding Eureka! titles to my personal collection!"

Managing Director of Eureka Entertainment, Ruth Schofield added, “With Kevin’s return to the company it seemed like a logical move to capitalise on his knowledge of multi-territory distribution and finally fulfil the desires of our fans. We’re asked daily when we will be able to distribute in North America, and I’m very happy that the day has come to be able to make those fans’ wishes come true.”

The first Eureka releases distributed by MVD Entertainment in North America will be one of the most important and influential films in the early history of American genre cinema, Paul Leni’s THE CAT AND THE CANARY, and the action-packed superhero spectacle starring Jet Li, BLACK MASK. Both titles will be released in both territories (UK & North America) and will be available for purchase later in the year."
Edited by bickle14
  • Like 8

ironfistedmonk

Have these guys announced any April releases yet?  Thought the announcement would have been this month?

Yggdrasil
On 1/16/2024 at 3:26 PM, bickle14 said:

"Following last week's announcement that we have signed a distribution deal with the US production and distribution company MVD Entertainment and are launching our award-winning Blu-ray label into North America later this year. We can now reveal more details about the deal.

The deal has been handled in the UK by Kevin Lambert, formerly Head of Content at Arrow, who returned to Eureka! in July 2023 as its Head of Content.

“It’s extremely exciting to be partnering with MVD for our North American physical and digital distribution. We can’t wait to get our first releases out to US retailers, and we look forward to bringing the best of auteur and classic cinema, including our celebrated Masters of Cinema series, to a wider audience. It is a big new step forward for the company, and I’m sure Blu-ray collectors will be thrilled to have another of the world’s best labels available in North America” he said.

MVD Entertainment Group’s Director of Home Video Sales and Acquisitions, Eric D. Wilkinson, commented, "MVD Entertainment Group is thrilled to be partnering with Eureka Entertainment and help bring this premium collector's label to North America. I very much look forward to working with the Eureka! team and am even more excited to be adding Eureka! titles to my personal collection!"

Managing Director of Eureka Entertainment, Ruth Schofield added, “With Kevin’s return to the company it seemed like a logical move to capitalise on his knowledge of multi-territory distribution and finally fulfil the desires of our fans. We’re asked daily when we will be able to distribute in North America, and I’m very happy that the day has come to be able to make those fans’ wishes come true.”

The first Eureka releases distributed by MVD Entertainment in North America will be one of the most important and influential films in the early history of American genre cinema, Paul Leni’s THE CAT AND THE CANARY, and the action-packed superhero spectacle starring Jet Li, BLACK MASK. Both titles will be released in both territories (UK & North America) and will be available for purchase later in the year."

Seeing as now they have releases for both PAL and NTSC, I can only hope they fix the spelling and not have Americanisms in a region B film. It wouldn't be that hard to use a spellchecker and change the spelling/grammar a tad. A couple of minutes if that.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:30 AM, ironfistedmonk said:

Have these guys announced any April releases yet?  Thought the announcement would have been this month?

GEiTMeobIAAhcMj.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic! The raindrops running down a window with some flowers at the bottom-film! Always been high on my wishlist.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
9 hours ago, Knetan said:

Fantastic! The raindrops running down a window with some flowers at the bottom-film! Always been high on my wishlist.

They're obviously white lotus flowers so we're definitely getting 1993's White Lotus Cult.

Disclaimer: This post was a joke.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Knetan said:

I'm hoping the cherry blossoms (Sakura) is a clue it's going to be more Toei Japanese films.

I'll happily take a chance on whatever Japanese films they bring out. The latest batch of Gosha I've seen before but bring it on. Going in blind on Fall Of Ako Castle was neat for instance.

2 hours ago, Knetan said:

I'll happily take a chance on whatever Japanese films they bring out. The latest batch of Gosha I've seen before but bring it on. Going in blind on Fall Of Ako Castle was neat for instance.

I wouldn't mind more Gosha. Film movement is going to release some Gosha on Region A but I'll hold out for the Eureka edition. It would be cool to do another podcast on  the Japan on Fire series & invite Robin Gatto back if he's not too busy. Like to hear his thoughts on his involvement in that new French Asian cinema boutique labels, Roboto Films.

• Like 2

Black Mask & China O' Brien I & II Blu ray + UHD are the 2 announced releases.

Screenshot_20240125-070548.png

Screenshot_20240125-070431.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Super Ninja

China is gonna be a blind buy for me.

As for Black Mask... Yes! Yes!! And oh f*** yes!!!

• Like 3

ironfistedmonk

China O'Brien brings back childhood memories of renting VHS in the 80's and early 90's, I must have seen thousands of films and I've forgotten most of them, but I remember those 2, proper cheesy martial arts fun

• Like 3

ShawAngela

If China O'Brien is as good as Sworn Revenge, than I'll get this one. A few weeks ago, I was about to buy the dvds, and I'm glad that I didn't do it!

• Like 2

ChillyChong

China is blind buy for me too but apparance of Norton and Keith Cooke(have seen him only in King of kickboxers, he has very smooth kicks) gives confidence enough for purchase. Not sure about black mask, haven`t seen it and trailer is not so impressive.

tomgray2404

I LOVE Cynthia.

I LOVE Cynthia in every HK action film she's in.

HOWEVER, China O'Brien is a bucket of thick gooey piss from someone who was badly dehydrated. I couldn't even get through the second one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I pre-ordered Black Mask and China O'Brien 4k from HMV, using the 20% off referral code that's been around a good while.

• Like 1