The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I just took a more careful look at Eureka description of their release of Swordsman of all swordsmen, and I discovered that the movies The bravest revenge and The ghost hill are part of a trilogy with Swordsman of all swordsmen! It would have been great if they had released the three movies as a boxset! I hope that they'll also release these two titles. I'll watch them this evening. I noticed that the subtitles on these Hoker releases are sometimes not very accurate, and are full of mispellings from time to time...

I found it a little odd they didn't just do another set including the rest of the trilogy.

1 hour ago, bickle14 said:

I found it a little odd they didn't just do another set including the rest of the trilogy.

They say that it's a trilogy about Tien Peng's Tsai Ying Chieh character, but maybe the stories aren't really related to each other. I'll tell the forum about this matter after I watch the two movies.

It looks like Yi Yuan and his character of Devil (at least, he wears the same clothes as his character in Sorrowful to a ghost and its sequel) appear in The Bravest Revenge.

Swordsman/Mystery preordered!

Had to ask my brother to transfer some euros so I can preorder, I promised to return a couple of euros more to make sure he plays along. Just couldn't risk this one selling out. 

• Like 4

The Bravest Revenge, Ghost Hill, A City Called Dragon and Iron Mistress all have been restored. Eureka could release a big Taiwanese wuxia boxset with these restorations. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

13 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Is there even a dub for Swordsman of all Swordsmen?

I checked the copy I had after the announcement to see what condition it is in. it looks horrible, but it had a dub. It will be great to see this in 1080, but hopefully they use the dub so no one has to spend the time on a custom.

Still an easy buy tough, looks like a great package.

I can say I've definitely done my part to support these companies & the releases that have been put out the last few years. I definitely try to get all the releases with the posters, especially if they are the originals because they look so nice.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hugo Manuel said:

The Bravest Revenge, Ghost Hill, A City Called Dragon and Iron Mistress all have been restored. Eureka could release a big Taiwanese wuxia boxset with these restorations. 

Youhouhouh !! Fingers crossed !

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

They say that it's a trilogy about Tien Peng's Tsai Ying Chieh character, but maybe the stories aren't really related to each other. I'll tell the forum about this matter after I watch the two movies.

It looks like Yi Yuan and his character of Devil (at least, he wears the same clothes as his character in Sorrowful to a ghost and its sequel) appear in The Bravest Revenge.

Ok, I watched the two movies this evening.

The bravest revenge isn't connected at all with The swordsman of all swordsmen. Tien Peng still plays his role as Tsai Ying Jie, but Shan Kuan Ling Fung plays a different role and Tien Peng is a little bit put aside in the story. Yi Yuan plays the villain, as usual, ans he even uses the same trick with his sword when fighting as he used in the movie The darkest sword.

The Ghost Hill is related to Swordsman of all swordsmen, as Tien Peng and Shan Kuan Ling Fung both play the same characters they played in SOAS, and Chiang Nan the young is replaced by David Tang Wei in his role of Black Dragon, but it's a little bit strange : the beginning of the movie could be a prequel or a sequel as well to SOAS regarding the feud between Shan Kuan Ling Fung's father and Tien Peng, but then, the movie takes another direction after the father is killed. To notice : Shan Mao plays a good guy here, it's rare enough to be mentioned.

They are both enjoyable movies.

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 8

Hi friends... I'm confused. I don't understand the Mystery of Chess Boxing release and I'm clearly spoiled by all of the new scans. I've never seen this movie but am aware of its reputation. I'm actually balking at this release because I'm afraid the film will look like trailer I saw attached to the city on fire post...Why doesn't Halsted just have his "only exiting copy" digitally restored? How does the process work, from film to 2k scan and why can't it be done with Mystery...??

Thanks for any clarification

1 hour ago, kungfumofo said:

Hi friends... I'm confused. I don't understand the Mystery of Chess Boxing release and I'm clearly spoiled by all of the new scans. I've never seen this movie but am aware of its reputation. I'm actually balking at this release because I'm afraid the film will look like trailer I saw attached to the city on fire post...Why doesn't Halsted just have his "only exiting copy" digitally restored? How does the process work, from film to 2k scan and why can't it be done with Mystery...??

Thanks for any clarification

Eureka (to my knowledge) hasn't done any film restorations themselves. They purchase the rights to films that already have restorations, and they'll put them out on Blu-ray. Film restoration is an extremely time-consuming and potentially expensive process, so it's likely that Eureka will simply be taking the 2k scan and releasing it as is. There are some companies that do their own restorations like Arrow, but I'm under the impression that they're a much bigger company that can afford it.

However, rest assured that it will certainly look better than the trailer that was used in the CityonFire article. The 2k scan used by Eureka for this release is likely the same that was streamed on 36 Chambers which had great color, a lot of detail, and minimal damage (at least compared to other film prints I've seen). Also, it's entirely possible that Eureka might have done some lighting restoration (i.e. color grading and removing bigger blemishes), but we'll have to wait and see.

Hope this helps!

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

With Eureka obtaining the print for The Mystery of Chess Boxing, could Shaolin vs Lama be next?

From your lips to Buddha's ears!

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 1:44 AM, ShawAngela said:

I just took a more careful look at Eureka description of their release of Swordsman of all swordsmen, and I discovered that the movies The bravest revenge and The ghost hill are part of a trilogy with Swordsman of all swordsmen! It would have been great if they had released the three movies as a boxset! I hope that they'll also release these two titles. I'll watch them this evening. I noticed that the subtitles on these Hoker releases are sometimes not very accurate, and are full of mispellings from time to time...

Did you manage to rip these when they were featured on that Taiwanese Plus site? Is it my imagination or were the English subs improved over the ones in the Hoker DVD? Like @Hugo Manuel mentioned they have been restored but still quite a bit of print damage, judder, dropped frames, etc...hopefulkt Eureka can fix those issues if they do release them down the line.

9 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Did you manage to rip these when they were featured on that Taiwanese Plus site? Is it my imagination or were the English subs improved over the ones in the Hoker DVD? Like @Hugo Manuel mentioned they have been restored but still quite a bit of print damage, judder, dropped frames, etc...hopefulkt Eureka can fix those issues if they do release them down the line.

Which Taiwanese site ? I only have my Hoker dvds to watch these movies.

16 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Which Taiwanese site ? I only have my Hoker dvds to watch these movies.

This one. A few months back they featured wuxia from The Vengeance of the Phoenix Sisters to She'd Hate Rather Love all with English subs.

https://www.taiwanplus.com/

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Eureka updated their specs of Swordsman of all Swordsmen to include a Cantonese, AND English dubbed track. So earlier posts were right: One was created.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 6:52 AM, Yihetuan said:

This one. A few months back they featured wuxia from The Vengeance of the Phoenix Sisters to She'd Hate Rather Love all with English subs.

https://www.taiwanplus.com/

That site has other Taiwanese stuff, like Taiwanese folk tales etc if you're interested in other aspects of Taiwanese culture.

I'd also check out the website from time to time to see if they've added any other restored Taiwanese martial arts films @ShawAngela

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

That site has other Taiwanese stuff, like Taiwanese folk tales etc if you're interested in other aspects of Taiwanese culture.

I'd also check out the website from time to time to see if they've added any other restored Taiwanese martial arts films @ShawAngela

I don't remember how many years ago, I bought form a Taiwanese site the boxset that includes Vengeance of the Phoenix Sisters and Fantasy of the Deer Warrior with Ling Yun, another one which includes at least three old movies with Chang Ching Ching and another one with a young Wang Wei, and also a King Hu's boxset including several movies, among which the episode Anger from Four Moods.

• Like 1