The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Probably the NTSC>PAL since the UK DVD is also about 10 min shorter than the Mei Ah release.

My dvd is from Hong Kong.

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I dig the YAKUZA WOLF artwork too.

@Yggdrasil, that's curious about the different lengths. Which DVD do you have of EAGLE SHOOTING HEROES?

The aspect ratio wouldn't affect running time.

I think if something has been converted from a PAL source to NTSC it may retain a slighter sped-up quality and therefore be shorter in length. I'm not 100% about it though.

The Mei Ah DVD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

My dvd is from Hong Kong.

Oh right then for sure it's cut. The Mei Ah must be the only fully uncut version. There was a podcastonfire EP where they discussed why the HD print of the NovaMedia blu ray was cut but I can't recall what the reason was after all? I'll have to search out that podcast again.

Ok, I found it. @Knetan, care to chime in?

https://podcastonfire.com/2022/01/podcast-on-fire-316-the-eagle-shooting-heroes/

Edited by Yihetuan
found podcastonfire link

Part of a reel in Eagle Shooting Heroes (in the earlier sections, during the first 30 minutes) was seemingly damaged beyond repair so a good stretch of continual footage with Maggie Cheung was not in the remastered versions. The edited around it as best they could so you won't notice abrupt jumps mid dialogue. The oldest dvd from Mei Ah with burned in subtitles is uncut. UK dvd, US dvd and Novamedia blu ray are all from the remastered version and missing this footage.

• Like 3

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

The Mei Ah DVD.

Thanks for the answer. Nice to know I have it uncut.

7 hours ago, Knetan said:

Part of a reel in Eagle Shooting Heroes (in the earlier sections, during the first 30 minutes) was seemingly damaged beyond repair so a good stretch of continual footage with Maggie Cheung was not in the remastered versions. The edited around it as best they could so you won't notice abrupt jumps mid dialogue. The oldest dvd from Mei Ah with burned in subtitles is uncut. UK dvd, US dvd and Novamedia blu ray are all from the remastered version and missing this footage.

Great info @Knetan, thanks.

It's a shame they didn't insert this missing EAGLE SHOOTING HEROES footage back into the remastered version as the boutique labels do. Speaking of which... back to Eureka releases...

So the forum fam's guesses were correct about SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO. I suppose we'll have a colorful, bouncing discussion of the film's merits (or lack thereof) here once it's released. :bigsmile:

I'm very happy to see that Sonny Chiba's films are getting released with regularity these days. :nerd: I've recently obtained the two YAKUZA WOLF films via Shout Factory's The Sonny Chiba Collection Vol. 1, but... as a rabid Chiba fan, Eureka's release still calls to me. The cover art by Chris Malbon has a unique style and vibe which is appealing, but I guess the final specs on the special features (which already are quite enticing) will be the deciding factor in the long run on whether or not I make a purchase (aka. can control myself). Magic 8 ball? "Seems unlikely". :tongue:

• Like 1

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

YAKUZA WOLF 1 & 2 - FEBRUARY 19, 2024

SYNOPSIS

A duo of ultra-violent Yakuza thrillers starring the late great Shinichi “Sonny” Chiba available for the first time ever in the UK.

In the spaghetti Western inspired I Perform Murder, a mysterious black-clad killer (Chiba) with a personal vendetta against the yakuza manipulates two rival clans in order to draw out his targets, leading to a climactic bloody shootout that must be seen to be believed.

Then in Extend my Condolences, Chiba plays a criminal who is betrayed and sent to prison. After serving his time, he wages war on the yakuza, eventually raiding the mansion of the crime boss who turned on him in a spectacular action packed climax that would later be directly homaged by John Woo in A Better Tomorrow II.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Chris Malbon [2000 copies]
  • 1080p presentations of both films across two Blu-ray discs, from new restorations of the original film elements by Toei
  • Original Japanese mono audio
  • Optional English Subtitles
  • Brand new feature length audio commentaries on both films
  • Brand new featurette by Howard Hughes looking at the spaghetti Western influences on Yakuza Wolf, and the broader influence Japanese cinema had on the Western genre
  • Original theatrical trailers
  • A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Tom Mes and Howard Hughes [2000 copies]

349418_front.jpg

@wigsplitta, are you paying attention? :bigsmile:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Thanks for the answer. Nice to know I have it uncut.

Great info @Knetan, thanks.

It's a shame they didn't insert this missing EAGLE SHOOTING HEROES footage back into the remastered version as the boutique labels do. Speaking of which... back to Eureka releases..

Well that answers that then. I won't get rid of my Mei Ah dvd.

• Like 1

Slaughter is otherwise fine but artist should have given Chuck villain look. If not know movie already would take a guess wang tao is baddie of the flick.

Niklaus Vogel

Has anyone watched the HEROES AND VILLAINS Blu Ray set yet? How did the Dr. Wai international version look with the combination of the HD and SD clips?  This review didn't talk about it at all, but it's good to hear that there are two commentaries on Dr. Wai so it's not the Mike and Arne show all the way. :)

https://setthetape.com/2023/11/17/heroes-and-villains-three-films-starring-jet-li/

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Niklaus Vogel said:

Has anyone watched the HEROES AND VILLAINS Blu Ray set yet? How did the Dr. Wai international version look with the combination of the HD and SD clips?  This review didn't talk about it at all

Good question. I'm always shocked when details like that aren't addressed in reviews.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
17 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

Slaughter is otherwise fine but artist should have given Chuck villain look. If not know movie already would take a guess wang tao is baddie of the flick.

Sounds like the UK VHS cover!

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpgMV5BMTc5MjU4ODAwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODg3

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 11/17/2023 at 8:13 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Good question. I'm always shocked when details like that aren't addressed in reviews.

The international version (of DR. WAI AND THE SCRIPTURE WITH NO WORDS on the HEROES AND VILLAINS Jet Li Blu-ray set) opens with an explanation that some scenes are from standard definition material.

EDIT: Seems you all know this but there was no review of how the combined elements looked leading in and out of each other.

Edited by KUNG FU BOB
I added the title being discussed for clarity.
  • Like 1

Started jet li box today and had booklet yesterday as bedtime reading.it was goog one,about 6-7 pages of text about each film.good for us who don't care about commentary tracks but still interested about bits of additional info. `few pages of pictures and credits

Nice to see sleeve has additional artworks. I don't throw slip to trashcan, can think it as case protector should case ever get damaged 3br new one not so easy to get.

IMG_20231203_144020.jpg

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

GAgzskvWMAAgN_f.jpg%3Fname=small&format=

Please be for The Champions...

It's the Sun Shining On Green Grass-film I've wanted on blu ray for so long!

• Haha 2

Completely wild, grasping-at-straws guess: It's Master With Cracked Fingers / Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung.

I vaguely remember Simon Yuen's character (in the English dub) claiming that he had no home, the grass was his floor, the sky his ceiling.  Suspiciously similar to the lyrics of The Young Master's export theme, unsure which came first.  Point is, Signal One's Blu-Ray never materialized, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold it off to Eureka or something.

That or it's just, like, teasing springtime for releases in the next season.  Six of one.

Edited by starschwar

Killer Meteor
4 hours ago, starschwar said:

Completely wild, grasping-at-straws guess: It's Master With Cracked Fingers / Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung.

I vaguely remember Simon Yuen's character (in the English dub) claiming that he had no home, the grass was his floor, the sky his ceiling.  Suspiciously similar to the lyrics of The Young Master's export theme, unsure which came first.  Point is, Signal One's Blu-Ray never materialized, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold it off to Eureka or something.

That or it's just, like, teasing springtime for releases in the next season.  Six of one.

He said that in Drunken Master too!

• Like 2