The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO has been restored in 2k recently by Fortune Star (both movie versions) so it will be a  very good bet this title will be it.

• Like 3

I’d be interested if the disc had multiple cuts because shorter usually is the saving grace for a Lo Wei film. And such context and comparison is valuable.

But yea… awful film :)

On 10/26/2023 at 1:38 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Got both of them on DVD

20231026_123708.jpg

I have exactly these two DVDs and would part with them. So if anyone is interested...

45 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

On Letterboxd , there is seriously nothing but one and two star reviews for Slaughter In San Francisco 😆

People are too demanding... :)

I watched the Asia Line some weeks ago and I loved it !

• Like 2

• Administrator

I've only seen SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO once, and it was over 40 years ago via a cropped, dubbed VHS, and I can't remember it at all. But if that's what this release is, then I'm curious for sure. I didn't recognize the photo, but it certainly could be one of the many hilly streets of San Fran.

I find it interesting to see the extremely varied opinions on the movie. :bigsmile: We each have a different checklist for what we need to entertain us, and that can change a lot once you add nostalgia. I went to the movies at a very young age to see THE FOOD OF THE GODS (1976), SQUIRM (1977), and LASERBLAST (1978), which now have IMDB ratings of, respectively, 4.6, 4.8, and 2.8. But... I loved them then, and still love them now (owning each on Blu-ray and revisiting them fairly frequently). LASERBLAST may not be a "good movie" per se, but for me, it's like chicken soup on a rainy day (even on a sunny day), and I still find it to be (I can't help myself :wink:) a blast! :blush Hahaha. Anyway, if this upcoming release is SISF, I'm curious how it will be received. At least it has a higher IMDB rating than LASERBLAST. :xd:

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

The short cut of it might play much better. Even at 100 minutes the Hong Kong cut was endlessly boring. They did the usual export job on a long, boring Lo Wei movie and took 20 minutes out :)

42 minutes ago, Knetan said:

The short cut of it might play much better. Even at 100 minutes the Hong Kong cut was endlessly boring. They did the usual export job on a long, boring Lo Wei movie and took 20 minutes out :)

I had a look at it a few weeks ago on YouTube. The only thing they could do to make it presentable is cut out 100 minutes.

My God, it was absolutely dreadful.

It made Invasion USA look like The Godfather.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, saltysam said:

If it's Slaughter In San Francisco i shall order immediately and my faith in humanity will be restored.

I will also buy Yellow Faced Tiger if it's released on blu ray. I have the Mediumrare UK DVD but would like a more complete cut of the movie.

SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO - FEBRUARY 19, 2024

SYNOPSIS

San Francisco police officers Don Wong (Wong Tao) and John Summer (Robert Jones) save a young woman (Sylvia Chang) from being assaulted by a gang of criminals. Unfortunately, all the crime in San Francisco is run by Chuck Slaughter (Chuck Norris), who doesn’t take kindly to police interfering in his business. Wong is kicked off the force by his corrupt Captain, and Summer is murdered by Slaughter’s men. Using his powerhouse kung fu skills, Wong vows to clean up the streets and take down Slaughter once and for all!

A gloriously trashy slice of gritty kung fu action, Slaughter in San Francisco was producer Raymond Chow’s attempt to capitalise on Hong Kong cinema’s sudden explosion of popularity in the West. Eureka Classics is proud to present Slaughter in San Francisco for the first time ever on Blu-ray from a new 2K restoration!

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Sam Gilbey [2000 copies]
  • 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray of both the original Hong Kong theatrical and US export versions from brand new 2K restorations
  • Original Mandarin mono audio
  • “Classic” English dubbed mono audio
  • Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng & Michael Worth (Hong Kong theatrical)
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Mike Leeder & Arne Venema (US export version)
  • New featurette by martial artist and actor Michael Worth
  • New interview with actress Sylvia Chang
  • Trailer
  • A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver [2000 copies]

YAKUZA WOLF 1 & 2 - FEBRUARY 19, 2024

SYNOPSIS

A duo of ultra-violent Yakuza thrillers starring the late great Shinichi “Sonny” Chiba available for the first time ever in the UK.

In the spaghetti Western inspired I Perform Murder, a mysterious black-clad killer (Chiba) with a personal vendetta against the yakuza manipulates two rival clans in order to draw out his targets, leading to a climactic bloody shootout that must be seen to be believed.

Then in Extend my Condolences, Chiba plays a criminal who is betrayed and sent to prison. After serving his time, he wages war on the yakuza, eventually raiding the mansion of the crime boss who turned on him in a spectacular action packed climax that would later be directly homaged by John Woo in A Better Tomorrow II.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Chris Malbon [2000 copies]
  • 1080p presentations of both films across two Blu-ray discs, from new restorations of the original film elements by Toei
  • Original Japanese mono audio
  • Optional English Subtitles
  • Brand new feature length audio commentaries on both films
  • Brand new featurette by Howard Hughes looking at the spaghetti Western influences on Yakuza Wolf, and the broader influence Japanese cinema had on the Western genre
  • Original theatrical trailers
  • A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Tom Mes and Howard Hughes [2000 copies]

349417_front.jpg

349418_front.jpg

• Like 6

Slaughter In San Francisco has corrupt cops, gangsters ,Wong Tao early uncontrolled swingy kung fu, Chuck Norris with a dodgy tache and a big cigar,motorbikes and did i mention Chuck Norris with a big cigar? Pre-ordered, thank you Eureka

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

The artwork on the covers are....well, let's just say I miss Tony Stella.

Nowt wrong with Yakuza Wolf's cover. I must admit the other one looks a bit naff.

20 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Nowt wrong with Yakuza Wolf's cover. I must admit the other one looks a bit naff.

Put your glasses on mate. :nerd:

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

They don't mention if Slaughter in San Francisco is uncut, nor do they mention a running time...

I remember reading that the original uncut Asian print had a bunch of racist scenes that were cut out of the export version & was only available on VCD. Apparently it ran for over 100 min.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

I remember reading that the original uncut Asian print had a bunch of racist scenes that were cut out of the export version & was only available on VCD. Apparently it ran for over 100 min.

Talking of run time, I popped in my DVD of Eagle Shooting Heroes and it runs for 1hr 55 mins of so.

Thr Korean version blu ray runs at 1hr 42 mins of so.

So not entirely sure if the film is cut, uncut or different runtime due to 4:3 vs 16:9 ratio. If can't be NTSC vs PAL as Asia in general has always been NTSC.

Put your glasses on mate. :nerd:

I wasn't sure if I was going to double dip since these 2 films are part of that shout factory set but I'll wait to see who they announce as doing the audio commentaries. Marc Walkow?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Talking of run time, I popped in my DVD of Eagle Shooting Heroes and it runs for 1hr 55 mins of so.

So not entirely sure if the film is cut, uncut or different runtime due to 4:3 vs 16:9 ratio. If can't be NTSC vs PAL as Asia in general has always been NTSC.

Probably the NTSC>PAL since the UK DVD is also about 10 min shorter than the Mei Ah release.

• Administrator

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

I dig the YAKUZA WOLF artwork too.

2 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

@Yggdrasil, that's curious about the different lengths. Which DVD do you have of EAGLE SHOOTING HEROES?

The aspect ratio wouldn't affect running time.

I think if something has been converted from a PAL source to NTSC it may retain a slighter sped-up quality and therefore be shorter in length. I'm not 100% about it though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I think the Yakuza Wolf looks alright. SISF is definitely crappy though