The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

I can only speak of the third disc (I did a podcast on it, yet to be released, that required me to comb through the third disc only). I haven't heard the commentary but the extended Taiwanese version and very good interviews with Richard Ng and Richard Norton make it a very complete package. I gained a lot of insight into the production through those archival pieces. 

So in short, expect an alt. version, interviews and outtakes on the last disc.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Knetan said:

I can only speak of the third disc (I did a podcast on it, yet to be released, that required me to comb through the third disc only). I haven't heard the commentary but the extended Taiwanese version and very good interviews with Richard Ng and Richard Norton make it a very complete package. I gained a lot of insight into the production through those archival pieces. 

So in short, expect an alt. version, interviews and outtakes on the last disc.

Thanks, i'm pretty sure i'll end up getting it as the films will look better than ever and I always enjoy the Frank Djeng commentaries. I've never seen the extended version of Twinkle Twinkle so that'll be interesting too. What's the name of the podcast? I'll check it out.

I co-produce a show on the Podcast On Fire Network, well several shows, but the main Hong Kong centric one is Podcast On Fire. The Twinkle Twinkle episode isn't released yet but we just put up an informative discussion on From Beijing With Love. We are on podcastonfire.com, Apple Podcasts, Spotify and wherever you can find podcasts.

I intermittently record audio commentaries as well. Did a few for 88, have worked for Neon Eagle Video and now for Error 4444 and we did the commentary for Fatal Termination.

Edited by Knetan
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

14 hours ago, andy338 said:

Thanks for checking, it's not listed on the Eureka site but i've seen this on other sites;

• Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars – Scott Adkins interviews Richard Norton, an excerpt from Adkins’ own “The Art of Action” series featuring Richard Norton discussing his experiences working on Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars

I know occasionally there's stuff on the disc that isn't listed for some reason and this would've been a good extra. I vaguely remember talk of some behind the scenes footage that didn't make it onto the original limited edition either and I think it was later used on Millionaires Express, I wonder if this is now on the standard edition. Yeah the interviews from the HKL dvds were all really good and as I don't have them anymore that's what's making me think I should get this set whilst it's still available at a decent price. The movies are decent but not really my favourites so i'm still deciding.

The extras for all three films are definitely worth it. Frank Djeng does a good series of chronological commentaries for the films along with cool outtakes and a nice selection of behind the scenes footage (some also included in the Japanese trailers) for each film. Great archival interviews with Sammo and co plus the above mentioned interview with Richard Norton. Finally, it has a great English interview with the hilarious late legend Richard Ng which is worth having.

Not to mention the films look stunning and that alone will be worth revisiting them. The home video audio mix for My Lucky Stars is great too.

So yeah, buy this.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

11 minutes ago, Graysman said:

Kung fu cult master??

Good. I discarded my dvd of the film and bought the Chinese blu ray from Panorama. Looks like I'll be double dipping again.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 10/21/2023 at 9:51 AM, Knetan said:

I co-produce a show on the Podcast On Fire Network, well several shows, but the main Hong Kong centric one is Podcast On Fire. The Twinkle Twinkle episode isn't released yet but we just put up an informative discussion on From Beijing With Love. We are on podcastonfire.com, Apple Podcasts, Spotify and wherever you can find podcasts.

I intermittently record audio commentaries as well. Did a few for 88, have worked for Neon Eagle Video and now for Error 4444 and we did the commentary for Fatal Termination.

Going back over your old podcasts & various co-hosts, I'm curious as to what happened to Dr. Lam? Most of your old podcasts partners have returned in one way or another even Stewart Sutherland but Dr. Lam hasn't been back?

• Like 1

David is still out there, active family man and artist, was also on one of your end of year specials a few years ago but I admittedly haven't brought him on to discuss a specific film in quite some time. I suppose we're nearing more of a set roster and I also produce fewer shows nowadays. But David is always good when he's on.

• Like 1

It's probably a part of their recent series of Jet Li releases, but it'd be great if Eureka! did more 90s HK stuff like Cult Master. 
There's so many less well known yet neat movies! Personally I'd really love "Fire Dragon" (the one with Brigitte Lin) for instance.

(there's more standouts of course - Handsome Siblings, Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, Moon Warriors. Of course the Swordsman trilogy would be awesome, but I understand there's rights issues. Same with Chinese Ghost Story, sadly.)

• Buddha Bless You 1

8 minutes ago, JanPospisil said:

It's probably a part of their recent series of Jet Li releases, but it'd be great if Eureka! did more 90s HK stuff like Cult Master. 
There's so many less well known yet neat movies! Personally I'd really love "Fire Dragon" (the one with Brigitte Lin) for instance.

(there's more standouts of course - Handsome Siblings, Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, Moon Warriors. Of course the Swordsman trilogy would be awesome, but I understand there's rights issues. Same with Chinese Ghost Story, sadly.)

Love to see A Chinese Ghost Story.

Other films I'd like to see for an upgrade is Sino Dutch War - 1661, Musa, A Chinese Odyssey parts 1 & 2, Buddhist Fist, Seven Swords, Wing Chun, The Eagles shooting Heroes, By Hook or by Crook, All men are brothers - Blood of the Leopard, Flying Dragon Leaping Tiger, The New Legend of Shaolin, Legend of the Sacred Stone, Fight Among The Supers.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Hopefully Tae kwon do is paired with Tournament or something else haven't seen before. Broken oath is masterpiece but trying to avoid buying upgrades for now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

IMG_3711.jpeg

Not a fan of the movie. But Jet Li vs Cho Wing is very entertaining (despite heavy undercranking) plus some other good action moments. I'm getting it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Will be getting both Taekwondo and KF Cult Master, as well as Samurai Wolf, great new announcements from Eureka.

I might have to double dip on Samurai Wolf even though I own the Film Movement Blu ray double pack just for the cover. Heaps better than the FM version.

Screenshot_20231025-112949.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I might have to double dip on Samurai Wolf even though I own the Film Movement Blu ray double pack just for the cover. Heaps better than the FM version.

Screenshot_20231025-112949.png

Black and white. Still, saved some money. 

Just now, Yggdrasil said:

Black and white. Still, saved some money. 

Remember the greatest swordplay film IMHO was also B&W and that's Okamoto's Sword of Doom.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Remember the greatest swordplay film IMHO was also B&W and that's Okamoto's Sword of Doom.

A fellow fan I see. Glorious B&W and a glorious swordplay movie.

image-w1280.jpg.1c50d86307d6cbddc4267b75bd1ec3e4.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

A fellow fan I see. Glorious B&W and a glorious swordplay movie.

image-w1280.jpg.1c50d86307d6cbddc4267b75bd1ec3e4.jpg

I'm sure it is, but I can just about watch The day the earth stood still.