The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

2 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Are the Royal Tramp films any good?  I see Ching Siu Tung did the action, is it crazy wire fu shit to go with the madcap comedy?

I remember liking it growing up, it's been a long time since I last saw it, but there are other Stephen Chow movies from this era that I prefer. Feels like one of his most esoteric, both in its story and comedy. I've seen Royal Tramp a few times growing up, and I still don't think I fully understand the story. Not a ton of action, but the bits of action are primarily wire fu insanity. The finale is really fun.

1 hour ago, AslanBey said:

Confusion right here: enforcer is my father is a hero?

And hitman?? Was that called "contract killer" some time???

Yes exactly. To avoid any confusion, Hitman (original HK title) is also known as The Contract Killer in the US. And My Father is a Hero (original HK title) is also known as The Enforcer in the US.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

EKA70508_HV-JetLiTriple-OCard-website-50

EKA70507_RoyalTrampCollection-OCard-webs

Not a fan of Dr. Wai (good action scenes though), I think I fell asleep after 25 min. However, seeing it be included with the other titles makes me want to give it another chance.

Beardys Feather

Really good that they're re-releasing the Kuo set... Shows there is demand for this. 

Roll on the Lee Tso Nam set next... 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BLfan said:

No idea why they are using Enforcer as the title. I assume the 3 discs will be all house in 1 case, therefore no original artwork?

That's exactly what I don't like about compilations like this. These films should stand alone and deserve a separate release. Unlike the Royal Tramp films, these are unrelated.

What worries me even more is that "My Father Is A Hero" is included here as "The Enforcer". Buena Vista released the cut US version in Great Britain on DVD under this title (look here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=344682). Other possibilities to create an ultimate release here are the extra scenes of the Hong Kong Laserdisc (see here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=472650) or the Taiwan version (see here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=438067). I'm curious if that will be taken into account.

A cut international version entitled "Contract Killer" was also released for "Hitman" at the time, which contained a completely inappropriate hip-hop score (see here: https://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=5594479). Really sucks. Hopefully we'll get the Hong Kong version here. The chances of that happening aren't that bad, at least the "Hong Kong Legends" DVD was released in the unmodified version back then.

I'm also curious if we'll get both the export version and the original Hong Kong version of "Dr. Wai", which has its own background story.

I'm really disappointed right now and I see EUREKA already drifting in dimensions like Dragon Dynasty did back then, which also made "adaptations" of Hong Kong classics for the US market.

Have bought everything from EUREKA that has anything to do with Hong Kong/Taiwan cinema. Here, for the first time, I am not sure whether I will pull out my wallet.

I hope I'm wrong ...

:doh

OK, thanks DiP.

Seems like we are getting the original Hong Kong versions, at least.

Now still missing:

- My Father Is A Hero: the extra scenes from the Laserdisc and the Taiwan version

- Dr. Wai: The export version, which contains more in the 1930's plotwise. Unfortunately there is no more space on the Blu-ray, because "Hitman" has to be on it too.

In contrast to the compilations "Three Films With Sammo Hung" or "The Lucky Stars 3-Film Collection" you can find three films on only two separate Blu-rays. In my opinion, savings are being made at the wrong end here in favor of maximizing profits.

The Lucky Stars 3-Film Collection: GBP 28,99 (three separate Blu-rays)

Three Films With Sammo Hung: GBP ??? (three separate Blu-rays) ... can't find the original price anymore, probably GBP 28,99, also.

Heroes and Villains: Three Films starring Jet Li: GBP 31,99 (only two separate Blu-rays)

Edited by lastninja
multiple post, sorry.

***All extras subject to change & more to be announced*** 

I also wondered if the International export version for Dr. Wai will be included.

14 minutes ago, lastninja said:

That's exactly what I don't like about compilations like this. These films should stand alone and deserve a separate release. Unlike the Royal Tramp films, these are unrelated.

What worries me even more is that "My Father Is A Hero" is included here as "The Enforcer". Buena Vista released the cut US version in Great Britain on DVD under this title (look here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=344682). Other possibilities to create an ultimate release here are the extra scenes of the Hong Kong Laserdisc (see here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=472650) or the Taiwan version (see here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=438067). I'm curious if that will be taken into account.

A cut international version entitled "Contract Killer" was also released for "Hitman" at the time, which contained a completely inappropriate hip-hop score (see here: https://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=5594479). Really sucks. Hopefully we'll get the Hong Kong version here. The chances of that happening aren't that bad, at least the "Hong Kong Legends" DVD was released in the unmodified version back then.

I'm also curious if we'll get both the export version and the original Hong Kong version of "Dr. Wai", which has its own background story.

I'm really disappointed right now and I see EUREKA already drifting in dimensions like Dragon Dynasty did back then, which also made "adaptations" of Hong Kong classics for the US market.

Have bought everything from EUREKA that has anything to do with Hong Kong/Taiwan cinema. Here, for the first time, I am not sure whether I will pull out my wallet.

I hope I'm wrong ...

:doh

Eureka will include original theatrical cuts for all three movies. It's on the specs.

For Dr. Wai and Hitman, I hope HK cinema enthusiasts will remind the staff at Eureka to include Cantonese in DD 5.1 as both were shot during the time when Hong Kong cinema had just started with the sound format. They have previously only included 2.0 tracks for some post-1995 HK titles (Full Alert, Throw Down) that should've had DD 5.1 tracks.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

I don't understand why these can't be standalone releases, Jet's certainly a big enough name for these to sell. I don't like the idea of totally unrelated movies being packaged like this, it reminds me of those cheap dvd collections sold in petrol stations and discount stores. I like Hitman but i'm not fussed about the other two so I think i'm going to pass on this set.

• Like 2

• Administrator

I am also bothered by the choice to use the Miramax title THE ENFORCER. I first saw MY FATHER IS HERO (sic. The "A" in the title was absent from these early releases) in the theater, then owned the Hong Kong VHS (a 2 tape affair), and eventually the HK DVD all featuring the film's real title. Out of curiosity, at the time of its release, I rented the Miramax release, and it was their typical disrespectful chop job. So I now have a bad association with that title, as do many other fans I'm sure. The good news is that Eureka and the people they're working with do care about releasing these films properly, and it says it will be "THE UNCUT HONG KONG THEATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM" along with "Original Cantonese mono audio". Plus, it's a 4K restoration! So I have faith that they will release the version that we hardcore fans want, but, for some reason, they've chosen to use the AKA title. It seems an odd choice to me, but maybe they thought it was much more widely recognized by English-speaking viewers as THE ENFORCER, or that the original title was too awkward.

I do hope that they'll include the International version of DR. WAI as well since it has a lot of different footage from what I recall. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that version was not restored by Fortune Star. Personally, I'd even be satisfied with the inclusion of an SD version of that cut, or at the very least having the extra footage included as a bonus feature. It's possible that this is still in the works as (already mentioned in previous posts) Eureka's site lists all of the features above, but at the bottom, it also says "***All extras subject to change & more to be announced***". Fingers crossed. Perhaps they're still working on including it (and additional footage for MY FATHER IS A HERO).

My Hong Kong Legends DVD of THE HITMAN doesn't translate the opening scroll. A minor thing I suppose, but it bothers me. Anyway, a Blu-ray update of this one is welcome. Also, though it holds no interest to me, I do appreciate when companies do things like including "Presentation of the US "Contract Killer" release version". There are fans out there who were first introduced to the film via that version, so it's nice they can see it that way on this set.

Though I'm in agreement with @lastninja and @andy338 that these would've been better as standalone releases, I certainly don't think they're going the "carelessly dump a bunch of shit together" route that Dragon Dynasty ended its reign with. It seems they're being properly handled other than being grouped together. But that's just my take. Anyway, despite that, I'm very happy that we have some HD Blus of uncut Jet Li movies coming. Thanks Eureka!

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, andy338 said:

I don't understand why these can't be standalone releases, Jet's certainly a big enough name for these to sell.

I totally agree. His name is more known than 95% of other HK actors from the films released by Eureka. I certainly hope they're not giving into trolls on FB and Instagram that say they should stop releasing HK content. And I also don't hope they don't continue this route. I'm still getting this box on day one but i hope there's more standalone releases

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I am also bothered by the choice to use the Miramax title THE ENFORCER. I first saw MY FATHER IS HERO (sic. The "A" in the title was absent from these early releases) in the theater, then owned the Hong Kong VHS (a 2 tape affair), and eventually the HK DVD all featuring the film's real title. Out of curiosity, at the time of its release, I rented the Miramax release, and it was their typical disrespectful chop job. So I now have a bad association with that title, as do many other fans I'm sure. The good news is that Eureka and the people they're working with do care about releasing these films properly, and it says it will be "THE UNCUT HONG KONG THEATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM" along with "Original Cantonese mono audio". Plus, it's a 4K restoration! So I have faith that they will release the version that we hardcore fans want, but, for some reason, they've chosen to use the AKA title. It seems an odd choice to me, but maybe they thought it was much more widely recognized by English-speaking viewers as THE ENFORCER, or that the original title was too awkward.

I do hope that they'll include the International version of DR. WAI as well since it has a lot of different footage from what I recall. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that version was not restored by Fortune Star. Personally, I'd even be satisfied with the inclusion of an SD version of that cut, or at the very least having the extra footage included as a bonus feature. It's possible that this is still in the works as (already mentioned in previous posts) Eureka's site lists all of the features above, but at the bottom, it also says "***All extras subject to change & more to be announced***". Fingers crossed. Perhaps they're still working on including it (and additional footage for MY FATHER IS A HERO).

My Hong Kong Legends DVD of THE HITMAN doesn't translate the opening scroll. A minor thing I suppose, but it bothers me. Anyway, a Blu-ray update of this one is welcome. Also, though it holds no interest to me, I do appreciate when companies do things like including "Presentation of the US "Contract Killer" release version". There are fans out there who were first introduced to the film via that version, so it's nice they can see it that way on this set.

Though I'm in agreement with @lastninja and @andy338 that these would've been better as standalone releases, I certainly don't think they're going the "carelessly dump a bunch of shit together" route that Dragon Dynasty ended its reign with. It seems they're being properly handled other than being grouped together. But that's just my take. Anyway, despite that, I'm very happy that we have some HD Blus of uncut Jet Li movies coming. Thanks Eureka!

Yes the Enforcer title bugs me too as I have a poor recollection of the Miramax version, i'm not entirely certain that i've seen the original HK cut, i'd guess that i'd enjoy it more but I still don't think it'd be worth buying. It's funny because I would've paid £20 for Hitman but I don't want to pay £30 to get the other two.

• Confused 1

Here are some comments / insight from Frank Djeng on the Li set:

"I don’t get the hate for this box set. We’ve gone through this copyright thing so many times here now, yet people still ask why not this title and that title. The labels can only release the titles that they can get. Just be glad that titles like My Father is a Hero is no longer a Miramax title and it will now be released uncut. I will be doing a commentary on Dr. Wai and I can’t wait to talk about the film."

"they won’t sell as well individually and retail price will be higher"

"I am more upset about folks asking why these three titles and not others. Clearly Eureka would love to release Tai Chi Master and Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2 if they can. If this box set sells then hopefully this will entice Eureka to release Once Upon A Time in China 1-3 on 4K next."
  • Like 5

I liked My Father Is A Hero but thought Dr Wai was poor and Hitman was pretty meh.So i'm not sure about getting this,especially as i've just counted the cost of my various upcoming pre-orders for other titles :speechless

I watched Dr Wai too long ago to be able to remember anything. The only thing I remember is that there were two versions of the movie on my release.

I absolutely loved My father is a hero and Hitman.

• Like 2

• Administrator
5 hours ago, andy338 said:

Yes the Enforcer title bugs me too as I have a poor recollection of the Miramax version, i'm not entirely certain that i've seen the original HK cut, i'd guess that i'd enjoy it more but I still don't think it'd be worth buying. It's funny because I would've paid £20 for Hitman but I don't want to pay £30 to get the other two.

The HK cut of MY FATHER IS A HERO is superior.

Jet gives a great performance in the film, especially in showing a good connection between him and his son (Tze Miu, who is terrific!), and Yu Rong-Guang is a full-on cartoon-style villain (who would be twirling a mustache if he had one) that does some fancy trenchcoat kung fu, Anita Mui is captivating as usual, and Blackie Ko has a more substantial role here than he usually does and is wonderful. The action is wicked, and "goes to 11" during the climax. Well worth getting for this title alone IMHO.

DR. WAI IN "THE SCRIPTURE WITH NO WORDS" is one that I was not thrilled by the first time I saw it (as I recall, I wanted more straight-up kung fu, not action-adventure from Jet Li at that time), but was very happily surprised by upon a rewatch. It's filed with insanity and "only-in-Hong Kong cinema" spectacle. From train mayhem to sumo wrestlers, to Jet using his rope-dart skills in a wild way. It's bonkers but in a totally amusing way. Oh yeah, and the giant vehicle with spiked steamroller-type wheels running people over!

HITMAN is mostly a more serious film (when Eric Tsang isn't goofing around, which is amusing) and it features some memorable and brutally violent fight action in it.

I'm excited for this set.

4 hours ago, bickle14 said:

"I don’t get the hate for this box set. We’ve gone through this copyright thing so many times here now, yet people still ask why not this title and that title. The labels can only release the titles that they can get. Just be glad that titles like My Father is a Hero is no longer a Miramax title and it will now be released uncut. I will be doing a commentary on Dr. Wai and I can’t wait to talk about the film."

"I am more upset about folks asking why these three titles and not others. Clearly Eureka would love to release Tai Chi Master and Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2 if they can. If this box set sells then hopefully this will entice Eureka to release Once Upon A Time in China 1-3 on 4K next."

I can understand Frank's frustration, especially as these companies are working so hard to do the best they can with what they can get a hold of. Then they are often bombarded with a lot of complaining (myself included at times :blush) instead of gratitude and excitement for what they have brought to us. I used to think the same things as the fans who are complaining- "Why this and not that title?" But I've seen behind the curtain (scary... messy... :lipssealed) and now know how crazy and random the licensing process can be. A lot of the time the simple answers to "why not this title?" are: there's not a decent print available anywhere, and we can't find the license holder. For bootleggers none of that is a problem, so fans feel spoiled into thinking everything is available. Sadly, that's not the case. Otherwise, we'd all own official Blu-ray releases of THE VICTIM, THE KILLER, and PEDICAB DRIVER. :thinking If I had my pick, I'd want a proper release of (in addition to the already mentioned titles) FIST OF LEGEND, HARDBOILED, NEW LEGEND OF SHAOLIN, FONG SAI-YUK one and two, THE BLADE, SHAOLIN TEMPLE, BULLET IN THE HEAD, FULL CONTACT, ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND 2, TAI-CHI MASTER, BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING, and many more over some of the titles that have been released by companies over the years. But hear's a little secret for you... The companies all wish that too. :wink:

• Like 9

18 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

The HK cut of MY FATHER IS A HERO is superior.

Jet gives a great performance in the film, especially in showing a good connection between him and his son (Tze Miu, who is terrific!), and Yu Rong-Guang is a full-on cartoon-style villain (who would be twirling a mustache if he had one) that does some fancy trenchcoat kung fu, Anita Mui is captivating as usual, and Blackie Ko has a more substantial role here than he usually does and is wonderful. The action is wicked, and "goes to 11" during the climax. Well worth getting for this title alone IMHO.

DR. WAI IN "THE SCRIPTURE WITH NO WORDS" is one that I was not thrilled by the first time I saw it (as I recall, I wanted more straight-up kung fu, not action-adventure from Jet Li at that time), but was very happily surprised by upon a rewatch. It's filed with insanity and "only-in-Hong Kong cinema" spectacle. From train mayhem to sumo wrestlers, to Jet using his rope-dart skills in a wild way. It's bonkers but in a totally amusing way. Oh yeah, and the giant vehicle with spiked steamroller-type wheels running people over!

HITMAN is mostly a more serious film (when Eric Tsang isn't goofing around, which is amusing) and it features some memorable and brutally violent fight action in it.

I'm excited for this set.

I can understand Frank's frustration, especially as these companies are working so hard to do the best they can with what they can get a hold of. Then they are often bombarded with a lot of complaining (myself included at times :blush) instead of gratitude and excitement for what they have brought to us. I used to think the same things as the fans who are complaining- "Why this and not that title?" But I've seen behind the curtain (scary... messy... :lipssealed) and now know how crazy and random the licensing process can be. A lot of the time the simple answers to "why not this title?" are: there's not a decent print available anywhere, and we can't find the license holder. For bootleggers none of that is a problem, so fans feel spoiled into thinking everything is available. Sadly, that's not the case. Otherwise, we'd all own official Blu-ray releases of THE VICTIM, THE KILLER, and PEDICAB DRIVER. :thinking If I had my pick, I'd want a proper release of (in addition to the already mentioned titles) FIST OF LEGEND, HARDBOILED, NEW LEGEND OF SHAOLIN, FONG SAI-YUK one and two, THE BLADE, SHAOLIN TEMPLE, BULLET IN THE HEAD, FULL CONTACT, ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND 2, TAI-CHI MASTER, BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING, and many more over some of the titles that have been released by companies over the years. But hear's a little secret for you... The companies all wish that too. :wink:

I couldn't agree with you more.  I wished that 88 or Eureka could release more of the classic  HK Flims.  Alot of fans seems to think Eureka or 88 can get the rights to certain flims without realizing the issues behind getting the rights to those flims it's so messy and frustrating to deal with.  As you said 88 and Eureka would love to release those titles you mentioned as much as the fans would too as well.  I would rather 88 or Eureka would be releasing Drunken Master 2 giving its ultimate release with jammed pack special features to rival Warners and a certain bootleg I'm not gonna mention here on this thread but i wish that the official release should have your artwork on the cover of DM2 if it ever happens one day. 🙏

I'm greatful Eureka is releasing some Jet Li flims.  I myself can understand Frank Djeng's frustration. I can understand the fans wanting to release the Jet Li flims individual  separate releases but I fully understand why they're doing this.  I hope they sell well so Eureka can release more Jet Li flims like Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 fully uncut, Tai Chi Master and Fist of Legend these flims sure can need the ultimate release but Eureka can't they don't get support from fans by buying them as much as 88 did which is how they were to able to release the Tiger Cage Trilogy, something I never in my wildest dreams thought would ever happen, or Eureka releasing all three Police Story flims in 4K with your artwork in that collection set.  I hope the Jet Li box set sells well. I plan to pre-order as we speak, after saving up three months paying off things so that i can finally start buying flims again like i used to.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bickle14 said:

This argument always amazes me. Honestly, these films are not bought by the average Joe in the electronics store, where they want to get as much film as possible for their money. There it is also understandable for me that compilations sell better. But we are clearly talking about niche products that are bought by diehard fans.

The market for single releases is clearly there. At least in the US. "Arrow" released "Prodigal Son" and "Warriors Two" (among some other titles) as separate releases and not in a box set like EUREKA.

In addition, the whole thing still doesn't explain why the 3 films are not released on 3 separate Blu-rays, but on just 2.

10 hours ago, lastninja said:

This argument always amazes me. Honestly, these films are not bought by the average Joe in the electronics store, where they want to get as much film as possible for their money. There it is also understandable for me that compilations sell better. But we are clearly talking about niche products that are bought by diehard fans.

The market for single releases is clearly there. At least in the US. "Arrow" released "Prodigal Son" and "Warriors Two" (among some other titles) as separate releases and not in a box set like EUREKA.

In addition, the whole thing still doesn't explain why the 3 films are not released on 3 separate Blu-rays, but on just 2.

It is going to be 3 separate blu-ray discs in the boxset.

16 hours ago, bickle14 said:

This I don't understand, if Lady Reporter, Shaolin Plot & Skyhawk which are not particularly well known outside of HK movie fans can get individual releases then surely Jet Li films can. Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon even got its own deluxe edition and that's far from one of Sammo's best.

Edited by andy338
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, bickle14 said:

You all can read guys... buying this set is a duty for us. I'm confident some time in the near future we'll get ultimate releases of our favorite movie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BLfan said:

It is going to be 3 separate blu-ray discs in the boxset.

They have changed it. Yesterday "Dr. Wai" and "Hitman" were on disc 2.

I do not like hitman, bad movie. Dr wai can`t comment, have owned eastern heroes hard plastic case dvd like 16 or so years and never watched. But My Father is a Hero makes this so absolute purchase for me, all around good story and action and great finale with kickers vs tonfa armed father and son.

IMG_20230826_205628.jpg

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 1

• Administrator

Reading the reviews on bluray.com can be very frustrating, and the SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT one is no different.

I'm NOT a fan of Dr. Svet Atanosov's reviews and find them very irritating. Instead of reviewing he often simply ruins entire plots (especially of Criterion releases. If I'm reading a review to help me decide if I want to buy something I do not want every plot point and twist detailed!) while spouting off about non or barely-related ideas, asking and answering his own pretentiously posed questions, and especially in this film's review he seems to miss the entire point of the movie. He writes at length about the drama and his perceived problems with it. In my opinion, with this genre of film, the major point is the action, and the plots mainly serve to give an excuse for the fights, chases, shootouts, and spectacle. So droning on about the intricacies and inconsistencies of the drama amounts to a boxing commentator focusing on the color of the ring's ropes! Since this is an action movie, in addition to a brief story synopsis, the review should inform readers what kind of action they can expect to see and what the quality of it is. Is it mainly hand-to-hand combat, gunplay, one-on-one fights or rumbles? I hate to be critical, but I find that a lot of the reviewers on that site who cover Hong Kong (and other Asian countries' action) films are guilty of this. I've usually seen the films already, so I'm reading these and trying to determine if those who haven't viewed them yet are being given the info they need to know if it's what they want to buy. Usually, I wind up with an entire mental list of things that have gone unmentioned that would've been valuable info for a potential buyer to decide if the movie would appeal to them. A good example is Svet's review of WHEELS ON MEALS where he complains about the "banal lines" but never mentions the fight between Jackie Chan and Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. It's one of the greatest on-screen fights ever filmed, and if you "review" or talk about this movie at all and don't mention this scene, you've missed the whole point of it. (He does mention the "notorious fight" in his detailing of the extras. but...) Whoa... I almost fell off my soapbox. :tongue:

Otherwise, regarding SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT... some people were complaining about some melodrama in the second act...

[QUOTE=Parsifal;21418586]Frank Djeng explains in his commentary that Tang Bik-wan's "Mother" character in the film came from a very popular evening TV soap opera THE SEASONS which had like over 500 episodes and was filled with extended tearjerking moments like the one in the film, and so the melodrama sequence at the banquet was most likely done to appeal to fans of the soap opera who went to see the movie because of their love for Tang and the series.[/QUOTE]

I don't have this release (yet) but I'm a fan of the movie. I don't know if this is mentioned in either of the commentaries, but I've always thought (I may have originally read this somewhere, but I agree and have mentioned this here before) that this film is almost like a modern-day retelling of the story of the Yang family depicted in EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER and the further story explored in THE 14 AMAZONS (both Shaw Brothers films) in which... SPOILERS for all 3 films follow...

Spoiler

...the male members of the Yang's are killed in battle and the women of the family/clan rise up to fight their enemies. So the emotional drama in the middle is a necessary catalyst for the story.

Anyway, in 1990 Sammo's future (and still to this day) wife Joyce Godenzi was once again (she's one of the guerrilla fighters in EASTERN CONDORS) effectively action-choreographed to look like a tough, skilled martial artist, and she and the other performers in the film deliver some top-notch action.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Otherwise, regarding SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT... some people were complaining about some melodrama in the second act...

[QUOTE=Parsifal;21418586]Frank Djeng explains in his commentary that Tang Bik-wan's "Mother" character in the film came from a very popular evening TV soap opera THE SEASONS which had like over 500 episodes and was filled with extended tearjerking moments like the one in the film, and so the melodrama sequence at the banquet was most likely done to appeal to fans of the soap opera who went to see the movie because of their love for Tang and the series.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with character development and melodrama if it’s done right , everything can’t be just action action action . But man , the melodrama in the middle act of this movie is damn near eye rolling. Like they’re trying REALLY hard to get us to sympathize . The crying from everyone in the family makes it even worse. 

I know that’s a bit harsh but that scene seriously could have used some trimming . Other than that ….great flick !