The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

58 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

It's definitely an acquired taste, I personally love B&W films, Film-Noir is another one of my favorite Genres and that's a must, but I completely understand, most of my friends and my brother are the same way, my wife asked me the other day...why would you buy a 4K movie in B&W... :D

Exactly. I can't see the reasoning behind it either.

• Like 1

Darth Kermit
3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Higher resolution? Same as a color film? Now HDR on black and white doesn't have as big of a change as it does on color, but it still can be an improvement afaik.

One Armed Boxer
8 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

5 hours ago, Darth Kermit said:

Higher resolution? Same as a color film? Now HDR on black and white doesn't have as big of a change as it does on color, but it still can be an improvement afaik.

Darth Kermit

Dammit, Yggdrasil strikes again! I knew I felt some deja vu!

Edited by Darth Kermit

DVD vs. 4K UHD

Night of the Living Dead (Millennium DVD)

uh7.jpg

Night of the Living Dead (Studio Canal 4K UHD)

uh8.jpg

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=540&y=210&d1=17943&d2=17593&s1=204527&s2=197275&l=0&i=3&go=1

Citizen Kane (Warner DVD)

uh3.jpg

Citizen Kane (Warner 4K UHD)

uh4.jpg

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=548&y=165&d1=16962&d2=16323&s1=185843&s2=174939&l=0&i=5&go=1

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 5

Drunksnake

Just finished my second viewing of Burning Paradise and I've really enjoyed it. I'd never seen it before but I'm glad I have now. Darker tone and I really enjoyed the cave setting which was a visual treat. l do like discovering a new gem.20230603_222431.thumb.jpg.4a8908c56da25abf4c431c1b7c7b78b3.jpg20230603_212426.thumb.jpg.3a84fb3181eed4aed93778dd2cbaffc7.jpg20230603_212220.thumb.jpg.428d5d1d308376d5bdfc28eb93506d90.jpg20230603_222431.thumb.jpg.4a8908c56da25abf4c431c1b7c7b78b3.jpg

20230603_212114.jpg

• Like 9

Frank Djeng personally delivering a copy of Burning Paradise to Kam Kwong who played the villainous eunuch in the film at the Tribeca FF.

352990761_10163117481922925_8682514138145159215_n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but I bought Burning Paradise from Vinegar Syndrome a few weeks back. I was curious are there any substantial differences between that one and the Eureka version?

Because I just found out that the Eureka version of Violent Streets that I bought had a scene edited, in comparison with the Film Movement version which included it..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but I bought Burning Paradise from Vinegar Syndrome a few weeks back. I was curious are there any substantial differences between that one and the Eureka version?

Because I just found out that the Eureka version of Violent Streets that I bought had a scene edited, in comparison with the Film Movement version which included it..

I was hesitant to order the Eureka version because I thought the retards at the BBFC would censor the horse wire trip fall at the beginning but thankfully it's included and appears uncut. I don't see any differences in the encoding either. The one niggling issue is that I heard Eureka botched the subs on one or two lines of dialogue.

I don't remember where exactly. Perhaps someone can chime in where that occurs in the film. I double dipped on the Eureka because of the Frank Djeng commentary, no offense to Sam Deighan but she's not in the same league when it comes to knowledge about HK films. The one extra the VS Blu Ray has is the interview with Wong Kam Kong which unfortunately Eureka couldn't do because it wasn't ready in time for release. The good news is that Eureka will release another movie (hoping Blade of Fury) featuring the actor which will include that interview.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I was hesitant to order the Eureka version because I thought the retards at the BBFC would censor the horse wire trip fall at the beginning but thankfully it's included and appears uncut. I don't see any differences in the encoding either. The one niggling issue is that I heard Eureka botched the subs on one or two lines of dialogue.

I don't remember where exactly. Perhaps someone can chime in where that occurs in the film. I double dipped on the Eureka because of the Frank Djeng commentary, no offense to Sam Deighan but she's not in the same league when it comes to knowledge about HK films. The one extra the VS Blu Ray has is the interview with Wong Kam Kong which unfortunately Eureka couldn't do because it wasn't ready in time for release. The good news is that Eureka will release another movie (hoping Blade of Fury) featuring the actor which will include that interview.

I love Frank, but I'll pass on the DD, unless I can find it for cheaper than cheap..thanks for the heads Up!!

Blade of Fury would be awesome! I have the Warner Archive DVD and would love a HD upgrade! Matter of fact, I'd love for all of the Warner Archive films to be upgraded.

• Like 4

Just finished the mr vampire sequels. Very enjoyable series with some great practical effects and great atmosphere along with some great humour. That scene in mr vampire saga 4 where the taoist summons the power of the ancestors had me buckled. "Dont get too close or he'll get a puncture". Brilliant.

The only one i had seen before was part 2 from channel 4 way back in the 90s. I believe it was part of an alternative xmas run they did where they showed mr vampire 1 and 2, the dead and the deadly, spooky encounters and some others that escape me. Overall loved the set and would love if eureka would now release miracle fighters series.

• Like 7

Chemical Lemon
2 hours ago, Red Lion said:

Just finished the mr vampire sequels. Very enjoyable series with some great practical effects and great atmosphere along with some great humour. That scene in mr vampire saga 4 where the taoist summons the power of the ancestors had me buckled. "Dont get too close or he'll get a puncture". Brilliant.

The only one i had seen before was part 2 from channel 4 way back in the 90s. I believe it was part of an alternative xmas run they did where they showed mr vampire 1 and 2, the dead and the deadly, spooky encounters and some others that escape me. Overall loved the set and would love if eureka would now release miracle fighters series.

Miracle fighters and other Yuen brothers oddities are always towards the top of my most wanted upgrades. I’m even a sucker for mismatched couples

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

I love Frank, but I'll pass on the DD

Am I the only one who still sees DD and thinks "why is someone even considering buying a Dragon Dynasty DVD when there's a new Blu-ray!?" :tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Am I the only one who still sees DD and thinks "why is someone even considering buying a Dragon Dynasty DVD when there's a new Blu-ray!?" :tongueout

We all know what happened to Bey Logan but whatever became of Brian White? Is he associated with Cine Asia?

legendarycurry

Apologies in advance, but some twitter discord on folks already guessing how the Eureka art for She Shoots Straight  will look led me to spend a few mins cobbling this together. It is my rough outline of what the original cover will be for the release in my opinion. Please imagine the orange color being the  background's main color, and that the flames engulf more of the box. That's the coolest shot I could find of Carina with  machetes in the few mins I spent, but you get the gist. obviously it won't be screenshots but drawings.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

You are not, I do too. I am not sure what DD means in this context if it isn't Dragon Dynasty

• Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
19 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

I am not sure what DD means in this context if it isn't Dragon Dynasty

Double Dip! (Purchasing 2 versions of the same title, usually for different special features, artwork etc.)

• Like 2

legendarycurry
29 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Double Dip! (Purchasing 2 versions of the same title, usually for different special features, artwork etc.)

ah Ok, I DD and got the eureka drunken master bluray because the sony dvd was ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

ah Ok, I DD and got the eureka drunken master bluray because the sony dvd was ass.

Can't help, but DD makes me thinking of a completely different thing. :smile

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lastninja said:

Can't help, but DD makes me thinking of a completely different thing. :smile

You mean "double dragon" right???

:monk_flirting:

• Haha 2

EKA70503_SheShootsStraight_slipcase_webs

SPECIAL FEATURES
Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray of the original Hong Kong theatrical cut from a brand new 2K restoration
Original Cantonese mono audio
Optional English dubbed audio
Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release
Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
Brand new feature length audio commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
English opening and closing credits
Trailers
Reversible sleeve design
A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver [2000 copies]

• Like 13