The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Omni Dragon

My copy of the Hopping Mad set arrived today.

(Note: The figure did not come with the set. But still I thought he seemed fitting for a photo with it).

DSC_9002.JPG

On 5/15/2023 at 3:37 PM, saltysam said:

eureka ship international orders first and then in order date for uk orders i believe. I often wait until a couple of weeks before release date and don't usually get it till the Friday or Saturday before release.

That's what I've generally experienced. When pre-ordering from the Eureka site, BDs generally have arrived on the Friday or Saturday before the release date. It's actually been similar for me with 88 Films and Arrow.

There was an exception with Eureka's release of Police Story III - Super Cop, that actually turned up 9 days before the official  release date.

• Like 4

Kevin Chan
32 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

Note: The figure did not come with the set. But still I thought he seemed fitting for a photo with it).

Exact same jawline as Lam Chin-Ying!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Someone please tell me honestly: considering all forthcoming releases and little financial issues should I get this hopping mad release as a mainly martialarts fan?

I dont know these movies and trailers in general are nice but not trustworthy. My leaning towards watching hongkong movies other than martial arts is increasing, thats true. And I will definitely watch these vampire movies. But for my collectors shelf there is considering the finances only some place for my passion for martial arts movies. So is it worth buying for the martial arts? If not: is there any likeable martial arts in it? 

BigDruDogg
54 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Someone please tell me honestly: considering all forthcoming releases and little financial issues should I get this hopping mad release as a mainly martialarts fan?

I dont know these movies and trailers in general are nice but not trustworthy. My leaning towards watching hongkong movies other than martial arts is increasing, thats true. And I will definitely watch these vampire movies. But for my collectors shelf there is considering the finances only some place for my passion for martial arts movies. So is it worth buying for the martial arts? If not: is there any likeable martial arts in it? 

It all depends on your preferences in what type Martial Arts you like from films. For me I'm not a huge fan of the spiritual, campy genre of MA. So the Vampire stuff is something I pass on. They tend to be way over the top and use a lot of wires etc.

I Love Lam Chin-Ying and Sammo, so it's always tough not to pull the trigger on it myself, but if you're only in it for the MA they you should be happy.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

5 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Buy Sammo's Encounter of the spooky Kind to see if you like the vampire related stuff. 

Vamps need to be on wires to pull off some of their feats.

This movie has vampires & Sammo, so you really can't go wrong. But if you like the idea to know more of Chinese magic and myths of Vampires that hop, seek out these classics of the Mr Vampire series.

What I wouldn't recommend is to buy some other less known vampire movie, as Mr Vampire started the whole genre of this and spawned many copycats.

These films are more on stunts than pure kick arse martial arts jaw dropping action, with a dose of Chinese comedy thrown in.

But in reality, it all depends whatever blows your skirt up.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 4

One Armed Boxer

As mainly a martial arts fan - no - I'd skip this release.

• Like 3

ChillyChong
1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Agreed..unless one loves  comedy also releases like this gets only wallet lighter and fingers burnt.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm skipping this one too, I love what these labels are doing and i'm supporting as much as possible but i'm mainly a martial arts fan so can't really justify picking up some of these titles that would probably be just a once only watch. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Buy Sammo's Encounter of the spooky Kind to see if you like the vampire related stuff. 

Vamps need to be on wires to pull off some of their feats.

This movie has vampires & Sammo, so you really can't go wrong. But if you like the idea to know more of Chinese magic and myths of Vampires that hop, seek out these classics of the Mr Vampire series.

What I wouldn't recommend is to buy some other less known vampire movie, as Mr Vampire started the whole genre of this and spawned many copycats.

These films are more on stunts than pure kick arse martial arts jaw dropping action, with a dose of Chinese comedy thrown in.

But in reality, it all depends whatever blows your skirt up.

Thx. 

I already have the eureka release of encounter. The final battle rescued the movie for me. It will definitely get a rewatch sometime in the far future. And some little fight scenes during the movies were also ok but not enough. So: the mixing of some magic and fighting were ok for me. Wirework is also something I like very much when used in a nice way. It was rather the amount of fights which aversed me - less than your usual HK menu.

I also bought the dead and the deadly but not watched it yet. Sammo is never a wrong choice I think.

So I dont have categoric aversion towards vampire-magic-kungfu. The question is whether there is enough of it or not :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Thx. 

I already have the eureka release of encounter. The final battle rescued the movie for me. It will definitely get a rewatch sometime in the far future. And some little fight scenes during the movies were also ok but not enough. So: the mixing of some magic and fighting were ok for me. Wirework is also something I like very much when used in a nice way. It was rather the amount of fights which aversed me - less than your usual HK menu.

I also bought the dead and the deadly but not watched it yet. Sammo is never a wrong choice I think.

So I dont have categoric aversion towards vampire-magic-kungfu. The question is whether there is enough of it or not :D

Well, magic kung fu....have you had a butchers at Miracle Fighters?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Well, magic kung fu....have you had a butchers at Miracle Fighters?

Yuen woo ping from 82?? No. Is this a classic? Good? Bad? Meeh??? 

That depends if you like that style of film. Personally I loved it. Watching the trailer might be good, as you'll know in the first few seconds if it's the film for you. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Dead and the Deadly is fun with a sprinkling of fight action but it’s no Encounters of the Spooky Kind. That’s top tier Sammo!

Only seen Mr Vampire II of the sequels. Am curious about the rest but not expecting too much.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ramji said:

Dead and the Deadly is fun with a sprinkling of fight action but it’s no Encounters of the Spooky Kind. That’s top tier Sammo!

Only seen Mr Vampire II of the sequels. Am curious about the rest but not expecting too much.

They tend to go downhill, as like any other sequel.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
On 5/21/2023 at 1:55 AM, AslanBey said:

I remember it as the most creative movie I've ever seen. After so many films I didn't think it was possible for one to be so thoroughly different. I was in for a surprise.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Colonel Mortimer

Let me preface this by saying this is certainly not a complaint, just an observation, but does it feel like we've jumped abruptly from high profile HK releases (Shaw Brothers/Jackie) to obscure releases, with a lot more high profile stuff left out there?

Makes me wonder if like Arrow/Shout saw the success 88 and Eureka were having and just bought up everything, and will slowly release it over the next decade.

Edited by Colonel Mortimer
  • Like 3

Colonel Mortimer
4 minutes ago, saltysam said:

The obscure ones are often the best ones.The Skyhawk is great.

It's at least on Hi-Yah so I can try it and not succumb to FOMO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Colonel Mortimer said:

Let me preface this by saying this is certainly not a complaint, just an observation, but does it feel like we've jumped abruptly from high profile HK releases (Shaw Brothers/Jackie) to obscure releases, with a lot more high profile stuff left out there?

Makes me wonder if like Arrow/Shout saw the success 88 and Eureka were having and just bought up everything, and will slowly release it over the next decade.

I'm with you on this, and again this isn't a complaint but the titles recently announced do indeed seem to be lesser known films. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but i'd have thought there were many more classics to release before these to keep the momentum going.

• Like 1

ironfistedmonk

Skyhawk is decent, not sure how well it will do if it's a stand alone release, could do with being a double/triple feature

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk
38 minutes ago, Colonel Mortimer said:

A lot of the high profile classics are caught up in rights issues. We all want Shaolin vs Lama, Born Invincible, Pedicab Driver etc. But rights issues are a nightmare. Hence why we're getting some of the "lesser" classics.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Skyhawk is decent, not sure how well it will do if it's a stand alone release, could do with being a double/triple feature

Yeah, it's ok and it'll be interesting to see how well it does. I've seen a few posts lately where people have said they are starting to be a bit more choosy over what they pick up as there have been so many good releases in the past few years. Personally i've only picked up ITLOD4 this last couple of months.

• Like 1