The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

professorwho

All of these are being encoded by David Mackenzie, the best video compressionist in the world, so these will be the best looking releases in terms of detail.

Eureka was told not by Fortune Star to touch the 4K masters, so the Theatrical cut of PS2 couldn't be recreated with it. That's also why the colour grading may seem off. I like this grading, personally, but I can understand people not liking it.

From what I can tell on Eureka's side Project A will be a huge improvement in the extras department. I wouldn't call this set a "wasted opportunity", so much as the best that could have been done, given Fortune Star and their sheer incompetence.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 10:58 AM, Irongod2112 said:

Some news & updates on City Hunter that I posted on the bluray.com forum.

I'm also still looking for help on City Hunter see below...

Ok just confirmed that Eureka will be including the HKL DVD English dub & I also suggested they include the alternative dub as well.

I still have a person trying to translate the Gala Gala Happy song and is making some progress but this is still extremely difficult to translate so we will see what happens.

I'm still waiting on that laserdisc audio from the Hong Kong Star laserdisc as well but that may not happen if I don't get it soon. 

If anyone out there can get me that audio track quick please PM me as soon as you can.

Eureka has also sent me some details for the next release coming up and let me tell ya... it's gonna be amazing!  I will be sending them some very cool things over the weekend that will make it even better!

Man it's an exciting time for Hong Kong Cinema on bluray! :)

City Hunter is my list of flims to get next month along with Police Story and Rapid Fire the Blu-ray verison.

10 hours ago, DiP said:

Any word on the re-issue of Police Story? Do you need to be buy the current disc (with the audio issues) just to get the re-issue?

The set was limited, but I don't know if the entirety of the set has been pressed yet.

51 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Once Upon A Time In China Trilogy coming in November...also includes Once Upon A Time In China & America so actually a 4 film set.

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/once-upon-a-time-in-china-limited-edition-box-set/11862167.html

My wallet is already crying after pouring so much cash.  Commentary by  @Mike Leeder  A+  

Drunken Monk

Project A and Project A II pushed back until November so I doubt we'll see the new OUATIC releases then. Maybe December?

Link to OUATIC box-set on Amazon.co.uk here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Project A and Project A II pushed back until November so I doubt we'll see the new OUATIC releases then. Maybe December?

Link to OUATIC box-set on Amazon.co.uk here.

Hopefully, buy then money won't be so tight for me to buy OUATIC.

Does anybody know if any of these movies will be released separately or is it box set only? I'd pick up OUATIC 1 & 2 but i'm not fussed about part 3 or the one in America.

12 hours ago, andy338 said:

Does anybody know if any of these movies will be released separately or is it box set only? I'd pick up OUATIC 1 & 2 but i'm not fussed about part 3 or the one in America.

Unfortunately it does come with  part 3 and Once a Upon a Time in a America too.

City Hunter, Iron monkey and Once upon a time in China set are all very bad films. These are some of the films responsible for bringing  an end to  the enjoyment of hong Kong action cinema for most  people in West. There is a saying in the U.K   ' you can't polish a turd ` which applies to these releases.

The best of eureka's films were already released by the  hong kong  rescue label  in excellent quality . Project A hkr will be difficult to improve upon.  Drunken master hkr release was better as it had the classic English dub. Police story may be slightly better on eureka. Why can they not choose different films as so far their releases are pretty  pointless for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robbie said:

City Hunter, Iron monkey and Once upon a time in China set are all very bad films. These are some of the films responsible for bringing  an end to  the enjoyment of hong Kong action cinema for most  people in West.

Well I've heard people blame/damn this movie:

1 hour ago, robbie said:

The best of eureka's films were already released by the  hong kong  rescue label  in excellent quality . Project A hkr will be difficult to improve upon.

For bringing an end to shapes.

And then the Usual Suspects barge in and grace us with their best and finest Unsolicited Opinions

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, robbie said:

City Hunter, Iron monkey and Once upon a time in China set are all very bad films. These are some of the films responsible for bringing  an end to  the enjoyment of hong Kong action cinema for most  people in West. There is a saying in the U.K   ' you can't polish a turd ` which applies to these releases.

The best of eureka's films were already released by the  hong kong  rescue label  in excellent quality . Project A hkr will be difficult to improve upon.  Drunken master hkr release was better as it had the classic English dub. Police story may be slightly better on eureka. Why can they not choose different films as so far their releases are pretty  pointless for me.

Admittedly it's subjective, but Project A (for one) will be an improvement, in one aspect at least, because it'll feature a new restoration as opposed to the print with burned in Japanese subtitles that HKR used. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asmo said:

Admittedly it's subjective, but Project A (for one) will be an improvement, in one aspect at least, because it'll feature a new restoration as opposed to the print with burned in Japanese subtitles that HKR used. 

I have project A hkr .   It depends on which  version you watch . There are about 3  versions on the disc. . I watch the hong Kong version  with English dub. It does not have any burnt in subs and looks excellent. It can barely be bettered.A waste of time for me  . 

So far only slightly interested in project a part 2 and police story 2( a pity they botched up theatrical cut). Others got or not interested in.

I,d prefer enter the fat dragon, crystal fist, victim, secret rivals 1&2 , hitman in hand of Buddha , invincible armour, warriors two, knockabout , above the law, in line of duty 1-5, better tomorrow1-2,tiger cage1-3. God of gamblers&return, iron angels1-3, killer.  Films that genuinely need restoring.  Not ones already almost done.. They can even do their own extras on some instead of just  rehashing the  hkl ones.

Edited by robbie

13 minutes ago, robbie said:

They can even do their own extras on some instead of just  rehashing the  hkl ones.

You might find, the HKL extras have also been re-hashed for the HKR release too.

So because there's good bootleg,illegal versions out there ( and i'm not bashing HKR, i have all their releases) eureka should forget it and release the likes of Crystal Fist which i love but would probably barely sell 500 copies (look at zineploitation, they take months to reach their 80 copy target for Bruce Li movies) the only way we are going to get more releases is to support eureka and others in their endeavours.As they had to up the print run for PS1 & 2 there's a clearly a market out there for legal JC on blu.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, saltysam said:

So because there's good bootleg,illegal versions out there ( and i'm not bashing HKR, i have all their releases) eureka should forget it and release the likes of Crystal Fist which i love but would probably barely sell 500 copies (look at zineploitation, they take months to reach their 80 copy target for Bruce Li movies) the only way we are going to get more releases is to support eureka and others in their endeavours.As they had to up the print run for PS1 & 2 there's a clearly a market out there for legal JC on blu.

There are plenty of films that need update like pantyhose hero, mystery of chess boxing, spooky encounters 2. Maybe do heart of dragon fully uncut. List is endless

Far more interesting for me  to see films that need it , get an update .

After only just seeing hkr releases of police story and project a the eureka versions  hold little interest as difference will be minimal.  Do not care about legalities hkr did a top job & I am grateful. Plus they had better & more extras not just hkl.

Edited by robbie

One Armed Boxer
19 hours ago, robbie said:

so far their releases are pretty  pointless for me.

How you feel about the Eureka! releases, is how every forum member on here feels about your posts.

Run along now & brew yourself a cup of Yorkshire tea.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

How you feel about the Eureka! releases, is how every forum member on here feels about your posts.

Run along now & brew yourself a cup of Yorkshire tea.

If they did a brilliant job on the victim, secret rivals, pantyhose hero, enter fat dragon etc i would have been happy. But picked the easiest options and added a few hkl extras. So exciting.

I don't drink Yorkshire tea . I have Marks & Spencer's tea. So i have good taste in tea as well  as films.

2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Every..... single.... post.... edited.

Edited.... to perfection...... as always. God bless you little monk.

This eureka thread was difficult for me  to find. I  almost missed it.  Glad I could make my intellectual & worthwhile contribution before it got too overbearing. 

• Like 1