Serial-Action: Martial Arts Themed Show's

DragonClaws

5 minutes ago, odioustrident said:

Has anyone seen this show Street Justice?

Hi @odioustrident, not had the honor of watching that show, one I've heard fans talking about over the year's.

11 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Thanks for answering my question @AlbertV, I also saw your post about him and his father, in the Martial Arts actors/actress's forum.

• Like 2

Here's yet another Martial Arts series in development, for those fans of small screen action. There's going to be a U.S produced series, based on the Korean actioner, The Villianess(2017), with the original director, set to direct the pilot episode.

For more on this story, click on the link below.

Link- https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-villainess/62770/the-villainess-is-to-become-a-tv-series

pbUwY95.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Here's one I totally forgot about. In 1985, Stephen J. Cannell created Stingray, starring Nick Mancuso as Ray, a mysterious figure who is like a master of disguise, changing his identities when helping innocent people out. One of Ray's skills is that he is an expert in martial arts. This tweet showcased a fight scene from the pilot episode. 

There was also Raven, starring Jeffrey Meek as Jonathan Raven, a former Special Forces agent and Ninja who retires to Hawaii and looks for his son while his former associates are hunting him down. Here's Meek vs. Judson Scott, who played the lead in a short-lived 80's sci-fi series, The Phoenix

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Here's one I totally forgot about. In 1985, Stephen J. Cannell created Stingray, starring Nick Mancuso as Ray, a mysterious figure who is like a master of disguise, changing his identities when helping innocent people out. One of Ray's skills is that he is an expert in martial arts. This tweet showcased a fight scene from the pilot episode. 

Great post @AlbertV, why have I never heard of the show Stingray, I don't tihnk this ever aired in the U.K?.

I wonder if that show, was the inspiration for Don Niams character in Undefeatble(1993)?.

Since Into the Badlands and Marvels short-lived Iron Fist series, there's been a big resurgence of Martial Art's themed show's. The latest actor to join the new wave of serial style action, is none other than super active, Scott Adkin's(Accident Man, Boyka Undisputed, Ninja, Close Range). If keeping busy with multiple film projects, wasnt enough. Adkins has teamed up with long time collaborator, stuntman.actor.director,writer Jesse V.Johnson(The Package, The Debt Collector). To work on a new series called Ascender's. Sounds like, a far out, action packed version, of the cult British show Randall & Hopkirk, only made Johnson & Adkins style.

For more detials, click on the fiery link below, for the CityOnFire.Com report, via Stanley White.

Link- http://cityonfire.com/ascenders-jesse-v-johnson-scott-adkins-ehud-bleiberg-gregg-bishop-series-martial-arts/

ascendors.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Since Into the Badlands and Marvels short-lived Iron Fist series, there's been a big resurgence of Martial Art's themed show's. The latest actor to join the new wave of serial style action, is none other than super active, Scott Adkin's(Accident Man, Boyka Undisputed, Ninja, Close Range). If keeping busy with multiple film projects, wasnt enough. Adkins has teamed up with long time collaborator, stuntman.actor.director,writer Jesse V.Johnson(The Package, The Debt Collector). To work on a new series called Ascender's. Sounds like, a far out, action packed version, of the cult British show Randall & Hopkirk, only made Johnson & Adkins style.

For more detials, click on the fiery link below, for the CityOnFire.Com report, via Stanley White.

Link- http://cityonfire.com/ascenders-jesse-v-johnson-scott-adkins-ehud-bleiberg-gregg-bishop-series-martial-arts/

ascendors.jpg

Sounds so awesome and I even gave it its own thread :)

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/24578-ascenders-new-scott-adkins-series/&tab=comments#comment-302716

• Like 2

Here's another one! Mortal Kombat: Conquest was a 1998-1999 prequel series that stars theater actor Paolo Montalban as Kung Lao, the descendant of Liu Kang; Daniel Bernhardt as the former bodyguard Siro, and Kristanna Loken as reformed thief Taja. Together, they face the evil Shang Tsung, played by Bruce Locke. The film also featured the return of Chris Casamassa as Scorpion (he played the role in the 1995 original film) and JJ Perry as Sub-Zero (he played Scorpion in the abysmal 1997 sequel MK: Annihilation). Jeffrey Meek plays both Raiden and Shao Khan.

Then there was also The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, starring Mark Dacascos as Eric Draven. Unlike the film version, the Crow make-up appears magically when Draven goes in fighting mode, unleashing martial arts skills. Sadly, the film does have its tragedy. Stunt coordinator Marc Akerstream was killed in an on-set accident during production. Akerstream will be best remembered as Tony, the gang leader who goes after and then eventually joins forces with Jackie Chan in Rumble in the Bronx. He was 44 years old.

There was also a female Crow on the series, Talon, played by Bobbie Phillips.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 1:48 PM, DragonClaws said:

I'm not sure who played this interpretation of the Drunken Master character?.

What are peoples thoughts?, I think he did pretty well at bringing a well known character to life, in a more contemporary setting.

Now I know why they cancelled Iron Fist so soon! Horrible fight scene in my opinion. Also, casting didn't seem right to me. Could not get past the casting to watch the series. Maybe there are better fight scenes in the series but I shouldn't want to fast-forward through the fight scenes for the storyline in a series about martial arts.  

On 1/29/2019 at 11:07 AM, DragonClaws said:

More episodic Martial Art's action, news from CityonFire.Com, via @Mike Leeder.

Link- http://cityonfire.com/vincent-zhao-returns-as-huo-yuan-jia-in-the-fearless-tv-series-kung-fu/

fearless.png

This could be interesting as long as they don`t turn Hua Yin-jia into a nationalistic fighter against the foreign devil, opium and theft of national treasures. Will they be able to resist themselves? Though Zhao does have the martial skill, I never thought that he had the charisma to "break out" like Chan, Yen or Li had previously. 

On 2/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, DragonClaws said:

I have heard a lot of good things about Into the Badlands over the last few years but have never been able to watch the series due to not having cable. I caught part of an episode at a friend`s house but fell asleep part-way through it. I really have no idea what it`s about, but the episode that I kind-of watched was decent enough. Overall, it looked interesting, but, seems like one of those kinds of series where I would really want to go back to the very beginning and see what the hell is going on. It seemed like the martial arts version of The Sopranos

On 3/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, DragonClaws said:

Maybe Bruce Lee will be the next Tupac or Hendrix. They will just keep finding things that Bruce wrote and someone will make those into movies or television shows similar to how Tupac or Hendrix keep releasing new albums long after they have died. But, The Estates have to keep on keeping-on! Gotta sell some t-shirts and merchandise. Should we guess which character Bruce would have played? And, is this Bruce`s Kung-Fu television series idea?

Otherwise, I could never get into Donnie Yen`s Fist of Fury television series as the fight choreography was way to sped up for my liking and I have never warmed to remakes of BL`s movie. Well, Li`s Fist of Legend is the exception as it seems like a different movie altogether. What I did like though is Yen`s The Kung-Fu Master about the life of Hung Her-gun. I have the old Tai Seng two-parter (Kung-Fu Master and Revenge of the Kung-Fu Master) but not sure that it was the complete episodes. The other television series that I liked was Real Kung-Fu with Yuen Biao. Sadly though, there have been some other series that have come out from ATV and TVB that have never made it to home video (at least not in the US, and English subbed, anyways). It would be nice to have some of these older kung fu series on a nice dvd or blu-ray instead of a vcd-looking upload on youtube. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 3/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, reason108 said:

Now I know why they cancelled Iron Fist so soon! Horrible fight scene in my opinion. Also, casting didn't seem right to me. Could not get past the casting to watch the series. Maybe there are better fight scenes in the series but I shouldn't want to fast-forward through the fight scenes for the storyline in a series about martial arts.  

Not the best action scene put on film, but I didnt mind the more contemporary take on the Drunken Master character.

Maybe Bruce Lee will be the next Tupac or Hendrix. They will just keep finding things that Bruce wrote and someone will make those into movies or television shows similar to how Tupac or Hendrix keep releasing new albums long after they have died. But, The Estates have to keep on keeping-on! Gotta sell some t-shirts and merchandise. Should we guess which character Bruce would have played? And, is this Bruce`s Kung-Fu television series idea?

It's a way to keep his name relevant and fresh, the Martial Arts movie world missed out on a lot. You just know there's going be more series of BL inspired shows, to come. There's been a number of rumours about various Silent Fute re-working's over the year's. The last one was going to have a futuristic setting I think?.

Otherwise, I could never get into Donnie Yen`s Fist of Fury television series as the fight choreography was way to sped up for my liking and I have never warmed to remakes of BL`s movie.

Agreed, it mkaes the fast action in Donnie Yen's Legend of The Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen looking pedestrian. Donnie Yens Chen Zhen character could give The Flash, a run for his money in a fight.

The other television series that I liked was Real Kung-Fu with Yuen Biao. Sadly though, there have been some other series that have come out from ATV and TVB that have never made it to home video (at least not in the US, and English subbed, anyways). It would be nice to have some of these older kung fu series on a nice dvd or blu-ray instead of a vcd-looking upload on youtube. 

It's a real shame that these T.V shows have been given poor treatment in the West, just like so many old school Kung Fu movies. Never purchased or viewed any of these ATV/TVB show's, but enjoyed the many clips Ive viewed online. With more Digital Services appearing, maybe some of them will show up their in better quality. You just dont hear as much talk bout these show's, as you do the many movies that came out of Hong Kong.

Tai-Chi Master 1980 (太極張三豐) ep05 (Cantonese)

Link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TO7Ty2HhPs

Tai-Chi Master 1980 (太極張三豐) ep04 (Cantonese)

Link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWP_8ANAYE

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Some solid looking choreogrpaphy, from the ATV show Guandong Tigers. Is this a re-titling of the 1999 ATV show, Ten Tiger of Canton?.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Some solid looking choreogrpaphy, from the ATV show Guandong Tigers. Is this a re-titling of the 1999 ATV show, Ten Tiger of Canton?.

Yeah, that looks pretty decent!

• Like 2

DragonClaws

1978 atv series about the troubles of a kung fu film star on and off set. double phoenix plays the leads trainer.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

It's a shame TV shows rarely get the same international scale release as features. Thousands of martial art movies were dubbed and edited for the over sea market, yet for some reason TV shows of (any genre) don't seem to travel nearly as well.  

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, DragonClaws said:

Very good point @Silver and Gold Dragon I can only think of Water Margin and Monkey, that were dubbed in the 70's for Internationa releases?.

To my surprise, I happened to find this wuxia series from 1982 called Buddha's Magic Palm on youtube with an English dub and Indonesian subtitles:

(Sounds to me like some of the voice actors, also dubbed some of the venom mob movies from around the same time).

There's more info (mostly in Chinese) and still images on this site: http://www.susannaauyeung.com/Drama/RuLaiShenZhang/dramaPage.html

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 7:08 PM, whitesnake said:

Fight! Dragon: The Complete Series Box Set still available on Amazon.com -  

Does this series have a link with the movie Fighting Dragon with both Yasuaki Kurata and Bolo ? I recently watched the movie, that is an ode to Yasuaki Kurata's glory in my opinion and since the movie and the series have the same title, it's an idea that came to my mind...

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, DragonClaws said:

Yes, it's ATV's 10 tigers from Guangdong, I recognized Eddy Ko Hung fighting with the guy in red and later trainig with a young man.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon
5 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Does this series have a link with the movie Fighting Dragon with both Yasuaki Kurata and Bolo ? I recently watched the movie, that is an ode to Yasuaki Kurata's glory in my opinion and since the movie and the series have the same title, it's an idea that came to my mind...

The Fighting Dragon 1975 is a compilation movie of Fight! Dragon the 1974 TV series. I don't remember the movie version having any new scenes. 

• Like 3