Serial-Action: Martial Arts Themed Show's

DragonClaws

maxresdefault.jpg

The cast of Japanese show, G-MEN 75.

With Online Digital entertainment services, desperate to fill their services with exclusive/new content. We have seem to have had a big rise in shows/series of all kinds, from Horror to Sc-Fi, and everything in between. However, recently there appears to be a surge in interest, with Martial Arts, not to mention some of the recent Marvel shows, that heavily feature the fighting arts. There's been Marvels Iron Fist, starring Finn Jones as the title character, now on its second season. Then there’s the highly popular AMC show, Into The Badlands, starring Daniel Wu and Orla Brady, currently on its third season. We had the short-lived Rush Hour T.V series, which sadly never made it to the second season.

We also have the Bruce Lee inspired Warrior, being handled by Justin Lin, which is yet to hit peoples screens. Wu Assassin's is another show currently being made, which stars Mark Dacascos, with JuJu Chan in a supporting role. Dacascos recently appeared in the short lived ninja inspired The Way, alongside actress Gabrielle Wright. We also cant forget classic shows such as The Master, with Sho Kosugi and Lee Van Cleef, or very first English language show Kung Fu, starring a young David Carradine. Walker Texas Ranger, featuring a certain well-known U.S Karate star. Then there's the multiple Asian shows, that I deserve a whole discussion of their own. G-Men 75 and Bloodsword just being two I can think of, off the top of my head.

Martial Law(1998)

The Three Amgio's, Arsenio Hall, Kelly Hu and Sammo Hung.

71eD+mlaVRL._SX482_.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Am I mistaken or is it Yasuaki Kurata on the very right of your first picture ?

Thats him @ShawAngela.

Here's a sample of the short fight scene he did with Bolo, and couple of other guy's, taken from the show.

• Like 2

Fight! Dragon: The Complete Series Box Set still available on Amazon.com -  

"Hong Kong 'villain' actor Yasuaki Kurata stars in this exciting Japanese superhero television program. Unlike other shows of the era, this is a more 'traditional' superhero program...minus the special effects and rubber monster suits! What sets Fight! Dragon apart from other Japanese TV shows of the era is the absence of the fantasy and monster elements and the emphasis on martial arts fighting. Filled with exciting karate fights, outrageous stunts and non-stop action, Fight! Dragon is the type of 'they just don t make 'em like that anymore' television show fans have been anxiously awaiting to appear on DVD." 

Fight! Dragon: The Complete Series

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

Fight! Dragon: The Complete Series Box Set still available on Amazon.com -  

Take it thats a bootleg release, judging by the cover art-work?. Does it have subs?, or was the series dubbed?, I know very little about this show.

Fight! Dragon:  The Complete Series DVD box set (1974, 26 episodes) is from Mill Creek Entertainment.  Does that make it bootleg, somewhat grey, or legit?  I didn't remember if it came subbed or dubbed, but one Amazon reviewer's confirms that it's in Japanese with English subs.  Besides what Amazon sells, there are also copies (same Mill Creek box set) from private sellers at varying prices.  Amazon price is $11 plus postage.  (Amazon is reminding me that I bought this back in 2010.)   One fanboy's enthusiastic review - (Sorry, it won't embed, but copy and paste will work.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XCY5jXjQ6o 

• Like 2

Vanishing Son, which started as a 4-made for TV movie series, became a short lived series with Russell Wong's Jian-Wa going The Fugitive while two detectives played by Jason Adams and Stephanie Niznik tracking him down, the latter being a bit more sympathetic towards Jian-Wa)

Wong returned in 2003 with another short-lived martial arts series, Black Sash, in which he played disgraced ex-cop Tom Chang, who after being released from prison, became a Ba Gua Kung Fu teacher by day, bounty hunter by night. He thought of his students as family when his ex-wife's new husband pulled all stops to prevent Tom from seeing his daughter.

In the 90's Michael Worth played Tommy, the martial arts expert of the Acapulco H.E.A.T. team. He and Alison Armitage were the only two cast members to be in the series' 2-season run.

11821198_1200x1600.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

On 9/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, AlbertV said:

In the 90's Michael Worth played Tommy, the martial arts expert of the Acapulco H.E.A.T. team. He and Alison Armitage were the only two cast members to be in the series' 2-season run.

11821198_1200x1600.jpg

Yes, I remember this series, I was totally addicted to it !!! Only 2 seasons or more ?

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

ooh series crossover!

Sammo Law also had a crossover with the series Early Edition in 1999, the crossover episode titled "Play It Again, Sammo".  Martial Law: The Complete Collection includes the two crossover episodes with Walker Texas Ranger and Early Edition.  The "Play It Again, Sammo" episode of Early Edition synopsis is at http://www.poobala.com/earlyandmartial.html 

• Like 3

It's a shame TV shows rarely get the same international scale release as features. Thousands of martial art movies were dubbed and edited for the over sea market, yet for some reason TV shows of (any genre) don't seem to travel nearly as well.  

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 8:25 AM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

It's a shame TV shows rarely get the same international scale release as features. Thousands of martial art movies were dubbed and edited for the over sea market, yet for some reason TV shows of (any genre) don't seem to travel nearly as well.  

Very good point @Silver and Gold Dragon I can only think of Water Margin and Monkey, that were dubbed in the 70's for Internationa releases?.

This never aired in the U.K, unless I missed it?, will we one day see the return of Sidekick's?.

• Like 1

TVB's A Fist Within Four Walls - Ruco Chan, Nancy Wu, Philip Ng star in the series. Here's a fight scene from the series.

• Like 2

I'm not sure who played this interpretation of the Drunken Master character?.

What are peoples thoughts?, I think he did pretty well at bringing a well known character to life, in a more contemporary setting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm not sure who played this interpretation of the Drunken Master character?.

What are peoples thoughts?, I think he did pretty well at bringing a well known character to life, in a more contemporary setting.

I know exactly who that is! Lewis Tan!!! His father is Philip Tan. He played Shatterstar in Deadpool 2 and plays Gaius in Into the Badlands! He's become a new favorite of mine. Heard he may possibly play Nightwing in a DC film.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

I know exactly who that is! Lewis Tan!!! His father is Philip Tan. He played Shatterstar in Deadpool 2 and plays Gaius in Into the Badlands! He's become a new favorite of mine. Heard he may possibly play Nightwing in a DC film.

When I watched the above scene with my girlfriend, we couldnt work out his accent. At times he sounded English, then it would change, has he spent any time in the U.K?, maybe for education?.

Just now, odioustrident said:

Has anyone seen this show Street Justice?

I used to watch it back in the day. Not just for Carl Weathers, but I became an instant fan of Bryan Genesse. 

• Like 2