Best sword play movies??

Guest xZAANTRONx

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chiba2000

common now, do we really need another one of these "lets rate the top 10 movies....", no offence but, there are at least 2 other posts with tons of those lists... :evil

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest kenichiku

Bored huh? Since Paul Schrader scripted 'Yakuza' and 'Challenge' was mentioned lately, howzi-bout non-japanese samurai favorites?

My best:

Rutger Hauer & Tex Cobb Zatoichi homage 'Blind Fury'

Tom 'Billy Jack' Laughlin & Ron (R.I.P.) O'Neal, 'Master Gunfighter'

James Caan, Mako & ninjas, 70s Sam Peckinpah 'Killer Elite'

Sorry, I'm not into the Sho Kosugis

Guest kungfusamurai

I enjoyed the fight scenes in the film 'Sakura Killers' which was an American/Taiwan co-production. It featured lots of ninjas and had Mark Long (if you are familiar with his stuff) as the lead bad guy, and Jack Long in a cameo appearance. The sword play was pretty good, in that 'typical' Chinese style a la Super Ninjas, although not as bloody.

I hate those Enter The Ninja/Revenge of the Ninja films. I haven't watched them for a while, so I can't comment on the swordplay.

I found a disc of 'The Master' containing the first two episodes made by Platinum Disc. The quality is pretty crappy, but the fight scene in the first episode (a clip of which is shown in that 'Deadliest Art' documentary) in that computer room is alright.

KFS

Guest chiba2000

Oh, ok .... then I say Braveheart! :lol

ha ha bored...me too! :)

Some day I will list my top 10 samurai/ninja movies, only no

one will have a clue about the titles, most are has never been subtitled, but damn they are great! :)

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest magic8

I just watched New Tales of the Flying Fox the other night. Great swordplay. One of the re-released Shaw Brothers flicks. Recommended. ;)

Guest kungfusamurai

If we're going to mention fight scenes, then I'd have to add 'Last of The Mohicans'. I thought that film had some great fight choreography, especially at the end.

KFS

Guest kenichiku

...but I guess I meant Japanese samurai influenced films.

Master Gunfighter is a revisionist western with obvious Samurai influences just as literally as Red Sun did.

Hell, what have I done :\ ? Based on my logic, even Star Wars applies.

Guest sasakikojiro

The Master Gunfighter was a direct rip-off/ remake of a Japanese movie I had already seen. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it (The Master Gunfighter).

Guest Akahige

I agree Sasakikojiro. The duel at the end of "Rob Roy" is pretty epic, and at times almost too realistic in its pacing and choreography (if there's even such a thing). But I can't belive I haven't heard this title in response, and I'll challenge anyone to a debate on it's authenticity as chambara: "Kill Bill: Volume 1."

Sword play movies besides chambara you ask!? I can't think of many non-chambara sword fighting flicks even worth watching, but based on the fight choreography, "The Princess Bride." If you doubt its quality, sit down one afternoon and watch three or four swashbuckling movies and you'll see what they were trying to go for and how well they succeeded. Some "Western" sword fighting films venture where many Japanese-chambara seem to dare not tread; at times they integrate dialogue directly into the sword play with great success. An example from the film in question: "Give me back my father you son-of-a-bitch!"

What makes me obsessed with chambara though is the restrained chaos and rage of the Japanese sword fighting style. Duels ten minutes long where swords are exposed for only an instant, and you have to watch it in slow motion just to see who killed who, and in what order. I don't think I can ever get enough.

Guest kenichiku

Yeah, it can and I didn't hate Master Gunfighter as much as you guys did because I saw it back in 1975 U.S. Theatre, slim pickings back then when far from a Little Tokyo theatre where I coulda seen the real thing (Zatoichi, Mifune, etc) every week along with a Tora-san chapter as double feature.

If I were to list fencing any culture (sans Chinese films with it's operatic influence), I'd agree Rob Roy was very realistic but for something just as realistic with a stylish camera, I have to say Ridley Scott's 'The Duellists' with Harvey Kietel and Keith Carradine and less so, John Boorman's 'Excalibur'.

Archived