Tokyo Idols (2017) - Documentary

laagi

Watched this last night as part of a week long exploration of japanese culture on TV. Very interesting and at times disturbing, although that might not be the right word. What I like about the documentary is it doesn't try to be judgmental. The idols and otakus (fans) just get to share their story. Of course there's also some critical voices surrounding the entire idols cult; a billion dollar industry mind you.

I sure shook my head a couple of times in disbelief. Nevertheless, I highly recommend it!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6039532/

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind seeing this if they'd bother releasing it in Japan. Maybe it's available on JP Netflix, dunno (there used to be a site that listed Netflix content for different countries but its gone now and netflix itself doesn't let non-subscribers know what crap they have...)

So I did get to see it after all

Tokyo Idols (Canada/UK, 2017) [Netflix] - 3.5/5
Very enjoyable if partly entry level documentary excels with an intimate portrayal of both the girls and the fans. What is truly surprising, especially from a foreign (Canada-UK) financed doc, is its non-judgemental approach which sets it apart from the usual cultural crusaders. The doc lets the viewer draw his own verdict. Indeed, it is interesting to see how many foreign reviewers have seen it as a critical expose while I was impressed by how sympathetic it allowed its characters to come through. As a former part time otaku (who used to have real size Aya Ueto poster on his wall, among all other Aya-chan stuff) I can relate to (most) of these fans living a happy fantasy more than the people telling them to wake up and live a miserable reality instead.

Archived