Has The Rock Ever Been In a Good Movie?

Koravec

Speaking of Dwayne Johnson here, he's a good actor and a lot of us like him. Some may be as long time fans going back to his days in wrestling. 

Now without doing any extensive research here. Has he had any really great roles in action movies? 

It would seem that he often takes the worst of the worst, or and including, giant blockbuster popcorn flick type movies. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesnt leave much of a legacy behind. It would seem he would deserve better roles. 

At a quick glance over his filmography, I was actually surprised by how fewer films hes acted in overall given how prominent he's been on the screen just recently. Maybe I just need to go binge watch all the Mummy movies already haha.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Koravec said:

At a quick glance over his filmigraphy, I was actually surprised by how fewer films hes acted in overall given how prominent hes been on the screen just recently. Maybe I just need to go binge watch all the Mummy movies already haha.

Faster(2010) is probalby my favorite movie of his, and I'm looking forward to the Hobbs and Shaw spin-off film. Havent really watched any of his big blockbuster's movies, since F&F 7.

Looking at his future projects, there no shortage of big blockbusters, with San Andrea's 2, still not caught the first one.

• Like 2

He has a cameo in The Other Guys which is still a pretty solid comedy. But yeah, the Fast movies he's in are solid (apart from the most recent one), The Rundown is fun and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was a guilty pleasure.

Most people tend to enjoy Moana too.

• Like 2

The Rundown

Jumanji: Welcome the the Jungle

Snitch is actually a really good one too. I highly recommend it.

Walking Tall, loved his version.

They can always hire him as Clark Kent is Henry Cavill ever leaves...(j/k, but he played him in a hilarious SNL clip in 2000)

60594188?size=476x268&region=us

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Koravec said:

Now without doing any extensive research here. Has he had any really great roles in action movi

No his movies are sh*t. Maybe when he stars with statham in the fast furious spin off  Hobbs & Shaw movie  Statham could carry him.  Watched rampage it was garbage.The rundown was garbage. Fast and furious is garbage for chavs. Scorpion king was made watchable by Kelly Hu.  

He is very bland , No personality.

Edited by robbie
  • Like 2

I've just started watching Ballers and I think he's super solid in it. Granted, the show is a bit bro-y but it's not nearly as egregious as Entourage.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, robbie said:

No his movies are sh*t.

So the answer is No? Haha, just kidding. Some decent responses, I'll try to get around to viewing some of these. I think overall his career is a product of him, which probably isn't even looked at as a bad thing. I think if we can start threads hating on a main action/martial hero like Jackie Chan then this is more warranted. I think the next thing I will probably see with him in it is Hercules. But to clarify, the point of this thread really wasn't to throw hate or anything. Feel free to leave any more responses. I really should check out the Mummy movies though.

I was a huge fan of his back in his prime during his WWF/WWE career. Regarding his film career, he's ok, but none of his films did I ever think were a must see. 

• Like 3

I always thought he’s a brilliant actor. Ballers is an excellent show, he’s just superb in it. Snitch, Faster, Central Intelligence, The other guys benefit from his presence, while movies like pain gain are literally kept from the absolute mediocrity thanks to him.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SMK said:

I was a huge fan of his back in his prime during his WWF/WWE career. Regarding his film career, he's ok, but none of his films did I ever think were a must see. 

In my early teen's, I got to see him Live twice, once under his early gimmick Rocky Maivia, and then later as The Rock. Within three year's or the two shows, he went from un-popular babyface mid-carder, to very a popular main event heel.

What are peoples thoughts on the Gridiron Gang?, one of his early movies that I missed. He's done a lot of kids movies too, like Journey 2: Mysterious Island. The guy's also done a lot of voice work.

• Like 2

I love The Rundown, the Fast films of course, personally I thought he was hilarious in Be Cool, Scorpion King has some cool swordplay but acting wise obviously not his best, Walking Tall is OK, I'm a fan of Get Smart, but as far as his 'playing his tough guy image for laughs' role is concerned, Central Intelligence is the one.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 4:26 AM, DragonClaws said:

What are peoples thoughts on the Gridiron Gang?, one of his early movies that I missed. He's done a lot of kids movies too, like Journey 2: Mysterious Island. The guy's also done a lot of voice work.

I actually thought Gridiron Gang was really good, his acting in it was great too (as I remember). I couldnt care less about football, but still enjoyed it. Its always been one of those 'catch it on tv' type of movies to me, even if Im against ever watching movies streamed from a tv channel. 

• Like 2