Help identifying a movie based on action scene ending

fcbird

Of course the plot is based on revenge. Secret skills are hidden 'til the end of the movie's fighting scene.

The fighter has great skills but never displays his secret skills while searching for a man for revenge.

At the end of the fight, the fighter does several flips high into the air and with a sword... soars straight down and stabs in the top of the head - through the body.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

This very much sounds like a Shaw Bros. film to me. Do you happen to remember the studio that released the movie?

We get a lot of posts, about I-D Martial Art films, mostly old school ones, do think we should start a thread specifically for this?.

Maybe make it a sticky thread?.

No, unfortunately I really don't remember but it didn't start with the notable Shaw introduction I'm so familiar with. On the other hand, the fight scenes were definitely of Shaw Brother quality.

The unique ending is what should resonate with anyone who saw the movie and is a life-long martial art movie fan like me.

I saw this movie 20+ years ago. Probably one of the most amazing kung fu flicks I've ever seen...  and I've seen a lot.

I'm sure someone will identify soon.

Thanks so much for your comments and desire to help a fellow fan.

I will continue to assist others as I know how important it is to hold on to the memories.

Not sure how to make the thread sticky...

One Armed Boxer
On 9/5/2018 at 7:12 PM, fcbird said:

At the end of the fight, the fighter does several flips high into the air and with a sword... soars straight down and stabs in the top of the head - through the body.

Sounds like John Woo's 'Last Hurrah for Chivalry'.

@fcbird, I think that the movie @One Armed Boxer gave may be the right movie.

Last Hurrah for Chivalry have everything you described.

It is not a Shaw Brothers movie but feels like one (with a lower production/sets) and it have quite a few (former) Shaw Brothers actors in it - Wei Pai (the Venoms), Fung Hark-on, Lee Hoi Sang, Ching Po Chang, Chen Ti-ko, Cheng Lei, Chi Yi-Hsiung, Chiang Chueng, and a few other. So it may look / fell like a SB movie.

This story involves a man (Lau Kong) who is seeking revenge but have hidden his true fighting skills and hire other people to do his dirty work.

And the ending of the fight is (almost) like you described - coming straight down with the sword.

After seeing this and some series in which he appears, I think that Wei Pai is excellent and is underated, in my opinion.

Nice song, from Roman Tam, if I'm not mistaken...

I watched this movies when it came here on VHS format, it gives you an idea of how long ago it was, and I totally forgot the plot. Even if I had seen some Shaws (and not the most famous ones, except 12 gold medallions) and some old school movies in cinemas, I was still a novice  in the genre when I watched Last hurrah for chivalry, and I remember that I had found the ending very violent. Maybe I should revisit it some day...

By the way, who is the actor who speaks Japanese ?

12 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

By the way, who is the actor who speaks Japanese ?

In that clip? I didn't catch any Japanese.

OH !!! I'm becoming senile, then !!

Isn't the guy in black and red speaking in Japanese when he speaks with Wei Pai ? I didn't recognize Mandarin, nor Cantonese, nor English...

And yes, I'm talking about the clip.

Thanks all... I really appreciate the attempts. I love the Last Hurrah for Chivalry too... THE FINAL SCENE IN THIS MOVIE IS CRAZY! The youngster does like multiple front somersaults going up - then comes flying down "Like the bad guy of Last Hurrah for Chivalry" then ... "The sword goes through the top-center of the head down through the core of the body". You only see the handle of the sword protruding out of the top of the head at the end.

The final fight scene was a one-on-one battle.

If memory serves me correctly, the revenge is against a guy who went into hiding as a monk in a monastery.

The plot, of course, is very similar to a lot of movies. I've only seen this movie once on TV by accidentally changing the channel to it. What an amazing surprise. I believe it was a "kung fu theater" showing. Don't hold me to it though.

Hope to find it... when I do, it'll be a treat for us all...

Thank you so much for trying .... I really appreciate you guys and this forum.

Love my Martial Arts movies...  

On September 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM, DragonClaws said:

We get a lot of posts, about I-D Martial Art films, mostly old school ones, do think we should start a thread specifically for this?.

Maybe make it a sticky thread?.

I don't know. I mean I'm all for specific threads and having threads to acknowledge certain discussions but I feel like that thread would be pages and pages of messiness and confusion. It would be to hard to specify which movie ID we'd be responding to and older ones would become obscure and forgotten easier. 

Or do you mean its own category with its own threads underneath it? I might not understand what 'stick thread' refers to exactly.

4 hours ago, fcbird said:

"The sword goes through the top-center of the head down through the core of the body". You only see the handle of the sword protruding out of the top of the head at the end.

If memory serves me correctly, the revenge is against a guy who went into hiding as a monk in a monastery.

When you say "guy hiding as a monk in a monastery", I thought of Shaolin Prince (1982; aka Iron Fingers of Death) which is a Shaw Brothers movie. I know you said it probably isn't a Shaw Brothers movie, but I'm throwing it out there just in case. Also the villain doesn't get a sword through his body but the main character does multiple flips before flying down at him. If it's not Shaolin Prince, hopefully it'll trigger some additional details so we can finally find out what movie you're thinking of. 😉

Here's the clip at the 1:33 mark:

Could it be Eight dragon swords or The mysterious knight with Kong Ban ? I watched it too long ago and don't remember them...

Do you remember if the villain could look like this actor Yi Yuen ?

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=3747&display_set=eng

This ending you describe rings a bell to me, but I can't remember the title of the movie...:bs_confused:

At least, it's a swordplay...:bs_smile:

3 hours ago, Koravec said:

I might not understand what 'stick thread' refers to exactly.

A sticky thread, means it woud be pinned at the top of a forum page, like some other threads are.

Definitely not Iron fingers of death, Eight dragon swords or The mysterious knight. I've watched them all multiple times over the years. I'm still on the search... someone will join and remember I'm sure. Just too many of us fans out there.

Thanks again all... will chat with you later.

By the way, Shaolin Prince... aka Iron Fingers Of Death is one my TOP-15 must see movies to watch list.

13 hours ago, fcbird said:

By the way, Shaolin Prince... aka Iron Fingers Of Death is one my TOP-15 must see movies to watch list.

A superb one indeed, that I always pair with Shaolin intruders because they are both excellent !

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

A superb one indeed, that I always pair with Shaolin intruders because they are both excellent !

That's a hell of a good double-bill @ShawAngela!

Both films (for those that don't know) are directed by Tang Chia, a man who is more famous as an action choreographer and actor. He only directed three films, the two mentioned, plus OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER, and I think all three are really fantastic. Shame he didn't direct more.

Totally agree with you on the three "Master of the 36th Chamber". All three are in my TOP-25. 

We could probably go on forever with our recommended watch list. There are a lot of 'em out there. Probably a few I haven't seem yet...

Hoping to get a hit for the original thread some day soon.

Thanks all for your input...

Archived