Extraction (2020) (Netflix)

AlbertV

Avengers: Infinity War directors Joe and Anthony Russo have written a new in development action film called Dhaka, that will star Chris Hemsworth as Rake, a mercenary hired to save the son of a prominent businessman. The film will be the directorial debut of Sam Hargrave, whose expertise as action director and stunt coordinator have been seen in Infinity War and Wolf Warrior 2 and was Chris Evans' stunt double in the MCU. The film is scheduled to begin shooting in November.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/chris-hemsworth-star-russo-bros-movie-dhaka-1138653

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The film has a new title, the generic Extraction

Tyler Rake (Chris Hemsworth) is a fearless black market mercenary with nothing left to lose when his skills are solicited to rescue the kidnapped son of an imprisoned international crime lord.

Joe Russo got sole writing credit on the film with he and his brother along with Hemsworth serving as producers. Michael Lehr serves as fight coordinator on the film.

Secret Executioner

I guess this shouldn't be too bad, I mean we get involvment from people who've proven to be able to pull off some neat, action-packed films these past few years. I think I'll check it out whenever it comes out.

Secret Executioner

Yikes, looks like a Netflix exclusive... Hopefully it will still hit the home video market at some point. :worried

the trailer is out... there's just enough to see some good action scenes. The story sounds very conventional. The director is the stuntman of avengers and mi para, the choreographer of Atomic Blonde's fights; in that respect we should be satisfied, then you'll forget the story the next day...

Here's a fight scene, actually very impressed. Suitably brutal and all done seemingly in a single take (though I think I can spot where the edit is)

Watched it... Action is top notch! Although heavier on bloody shootouts. Pretty straight-forward action vehicle! Some pretty brutal kills too. Overall very entertaining!

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Here's a fight scene, actually very impressed. Suitably brutal and all done seemingly in a single take (though I think I can spot where the edit is)

That picture of actor Chirs Hmesworth holding the knife, has to be a nod to The Raid movies and their popularity?.

There's plenty of action here, but it still left me unsatisfied.

The only action scene that really stood out was the first one, where Chirs Hemesworth frees the hostage. Nice choreo, some very good ideas. (To me, it looked like it was inspired by Raid) . Close to perfect, no complaints here.

After that it was pretty generic and down-to-Earth for the most part. There were occasional interesting bits, but mostly, repetitive shootings John Wyck style. The guy walks, shoots an opponent, then the next, then the next and so on. I find this kind of action pretty boring. 

I heard that the stunt work here supposed to be amazing, but I can't name a single stunt that would amazed me. Some of the angles were plain wrong and distracting and actually ruined the stunts

The "11 min long action scene" was totally unnecessary and, considering the fact that it wasn't actually a one continuous shot, but digital editing makes it absolutely pointless

Chirs Hemesworth and the Indian guy did a great job, quite believable action characters

Overall, a decent actioner that could've been much more.

I'm really happy for Sam Hargrave, as I loved his previous work, and I hope he will continue to please action fans, but I'd say his directorial debut was 4- out of 5 in terms of action. The guy is a great stunt coordinator and he had this opportunity to make something as superb as The Raid and really raise the bar, but ended up with an average action film

The first part works better than the second. The story is abused and seen a thousand times. The usual character tormented by some tragedy linked to his family, who is stuffed with psychotropic drugs, has a bad relationship with alcohol and is called back into action for money and to give vent to his suicidal delusions. The action in the first part is very cool and mixes some lessons learned from The Raid but, above all, from Korean tactical movies. Unfortunately when you don't have a solid story the second part gets soft and becomes the usual ending without too many flashes. But what do you expect from a director at his first rehearsal and that he is born a stuntman? (with cameo in the forest); in any case editing and shooting the first part remain exemplary even for a newcomer. It's a nice rehearsal to show a few techniques for filming the action. The sequence plan of the first part, even with the various digital breaks, is very well done. We also changed the title of the film (it's called after the main character).

PS. First rule of the modern actionhero on the point of death:

Spoiler

if he falls into the water, rest assured that as in Jason Bourne, and sons, teach us that he will find the way to immortality, no matter if he is wounded to death and spurts flashes of blood from the heart or carotid artery, what matters is to jump into the void and land in the water as soon as possible.

Drunken Monk

I thought this was excellent and very surprising. What could have been a fairly generic action film is spiced up by great fight choreography and some incredible camera work (the car chase is bananas).

The only issue with it in my eyes is that the gunplay outstays it’s welcome as it doesn’t match the creativity of the rest of the action.

I highly recommend this one.

I'm not sure why I brushed off seeing this movie, but after hearing you guys rave about it, I may have to check it out. There is just so much stuff to watch. 

whitesnake

An Extraction sequel (or maybe prequel) is in the works - https://deadline.com/2020/05/extraction-netflix-sequel-chris-hemsworth-joe-russo-screenplay-script-sam-hargrave-1202925594/

"AGBO, the company run by [Joe] Russo and his brother Anthony, are putting the pieces together and are optimistic that that Sam Hargrave returns as director, and that Chris Hemsworth will reprise as mercenary Tyler Rake, though those deals won't be made by Netflix until the script is ready."  The script will be written by Joe Russo. 

Archived