The Dragon Unleashed (2019) - Chase Bloomquist, John Schneider, Emily Sweet

AlbertV

Rene Perez, the indie filmmaker behind the soon to released Death Kiss, starring Robert "Bronzi" Kovacs, is putting his name to a throwback to 80's action films, notably the Ninja genre with this upcoming film. The film stars newcomer Chase Bloomquist in the titular role of The Dragon, whose mask looks a bit like Finnish superhero Rendel, and co-stars John Schneider, Emily Sweet, and John Ozuna. The film is coming sometime in 2019 (Got the word about this film from Bronzi himself.)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Chase Bloomquist's official website, it looks like there is going to a sequel to this. I saw the film this week and the action is definitely a throwback to 80's style fighting and action scenes. It's like Rene Perez did this as a love letter meshing of the American Ninja films, Chuck Norris' Cannon Films, with just a taste of Leatherface (there is a villain character who sports a Leatherface-style mask). What I didn't get was that the cast list had no character names, but from what I can understand, Chase Bloomquist was the unmasked Dragon and maybe did some of the gunfire action and Master John Ozuna was the martial arts double for the masked Dragon segments. Ozuna was also the martial arts choreographer, which was a 80's throwback style of fight scenes. Some OTT style stuff and a bit of TnA as expected, but overall not bad for its 76-minute running time. Full review will be up on my blog tomorrow. 

Archived