The Man Who Feels No Pain (2018) - Bollywood Martial Arts Comedy

AlbertV

This Bollywood action-comedy, about a man who has a rare disease of the inability to feel no pain, trains in martial arts in an attempt to become a hero but with disastrous results, is premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival. Abhimanyu Dasani plays the titular character.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a great review  of the movie at - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/man-who-feels-no-pain-review-1145994  Now I want to see this too.  "The story of a kid who grows up unable to feel pain and decides to become a vigilante hero is surprisingly touching... When it's not busy kicking your face into next Tuesday, The Man Who Feels No Pain is a big-hearted love letter to outsized action in the vein of Stephen Chow's early 90s gems...  These scenes [the choreographed fights] are dynamically staged but pleasingly low-tech, with scant trace of the CGI or gravity-defying wire effects that dominate contemporary chop-socky thrillers.  Indeed, the story that follows is packed with homages to old-school analogue-action, from Bruce Lee to John Woo, The Terminator to Die-Hard."

"It was early 2016 when director Vasan Bala reached out to me.  Having directed an amazing short film and critically acclaimed feature film called Peddlers he had a new idea for a Jackie Chan-style, martial arts action comedy.  After seeing my short film Rope-A-Dope, he contacted me with this:  'I want to do Rope-A-Dope action in a Bollywood film.'  I read the script for his comedy Man Who Feels No Pain.  It had just the right mix of comedy and drama, with enough interesting characters to make an action director jump at the opportunity.  I asked him, 'Are you sure you want action like Rope-A-Dope?  Action like that is a very involved process.  No wires.  No trick photography.  No stunt doubles.' " 

Eric Jacobus explains the process, "vertical integration", and how he used it in Rope-A-Dope, Blindsided, and other short and feature films, and then in India for The Man Who Feels No Pain, here - https://ericjacobus.com/man-who-feels-no-pain-a-new-process-for-action/

So glad to hear Eric got this gig! Hope it will help him to get in big production movies. Even if it's Bollywood for now

Here is the latest trailer (with English close-captioning) for the Hindi movie, The Man Who Feels No Pain.  The movie got a limited distribution release in the U.S. on March 22, 2019, according to IMDB.  From - http://www.filmsmash.com/news/trailers/the-man-who-feels-no-pain-dishes-out-plenty-in-the-new-official-trailer/  

ShaOW!linDude

This is now available on Netflix, but you have to search for by the title Mard Ko Dard Nahin Hota. You'll be watching it subbed.

I was eager to see this as I'm a big fan of Eric Jacobus and his work, as well as Dennis Ruel. Mind you, they just handle the choreography here. 

While the film is not without its charm, by clocking in at almost two and a half hours, it overstays its welcome by an hour. There are some cute, funny bits at the beginning, but the real lag is in the middle, and what funny bits are there aren't all that funny. There's a lot of music in this, but it's not your typical Bollywood flick with the leads performing song and dance numbers. There's just a lot of things that could have been condensed to make for a tighter film and story. It looks great, but there are just too many overdrawn slo-mo takes of lovingly forlorn glances set to music. (That probably makes up that extra hour of the run time.)

As far as the action goes, it's fairly solid.That's about all I can say.  It's pretty sparse throughout the movie until about the last 30 minutes or so.  There are a few moments where there are some neat exchanges or segments of choreography, but they are few and far between. Abhimanyu Dasani and Radhika Madan, the male and female leads, handle their choreography pretty well. But I noticed that after a while, many of their moves were repetitious. There didn't seem to be a lot of variation in technique sometimes. If I had to watch this again, I'd count the number of jump-spinning roundhouse kicks Dasani performed, because there was a lot of them. Still, the end fights are kinda good.

Look, if you're thinking this is gonna be some kind of feature length Bollywood film with action choreography akin to the Stunt People's Rope-A-Dope shorts...well, it ain't. But the action in it is definitely better than the typical macho man clips you see snippets of from the usual cheesy Bollywood action movies. So there's that.

One Armed Boxer
On 5/27/2019 at 5:23 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Look, if you're thinking this is gonna be some kind of feature length Bollywood film with action choreography akin to the Stunt People's Rope-A-Dope shorts...well, it ain't. But the action in it is definitely better than the typical macho man clips you see snippets of from the usual cheesy Bollywood action movies. So there's that.

You kind of summarised my feelings towards this one with these 3 lines alone, but I'm a glutton for punishment, so I went ahead and gave it the full review treatment over at COF anyway.  Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-man-who-feels-no-pain-2018-review/

Archived