I am the White Tiger (Documentary)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Film Combat Syndicate has the new (Exclusive? Couldn't find it on YouTube) trailer for Mark Houghton's new documentary...

Watch here.

Houghton's journey is a truly special one. As is his relationship with Hung Gar and his master, Lau Kar Leung. I'm really looking forward to this one.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will look out for this,I remember going to a sort of q&a session in my hometown with Mark Houghton,Bey Logan,and some other guy who was working in the Hong Kong film industry in the late 80s I think(maybe a bit later).It was funny because Mark Houghton had just come back from filming with Lau Kar Fei and he couldn’t get his head round the fact that he was choreographing Gordon Liu and telling him what to do and how to do it.He was telling us that he almost walked off set in some cheap production because they could only afford kids toy guns to work with.His story maybe great viewing👍👍

Random Media picked it up and it will be coming to DVD, VOD, and Digital on June 18, 2019.

Looks interesting enough. I could've live without the pseudo-philosophical fortune cookie wisdom, though.

Okay guys, big news! Tonight at 9:30pm EST, I will be doing an exclusive phone interview with the man himself, Mark Houghton! If you have any questions, you want to ask, send me a private message by 5pm EST today :) The interview will be transcribed and then put up on my blog the week of June 13 with a review of the documentary.  

So for an update, had an excellent conversation with Mark Houghton. I promised him I'd keep a few things off record about some of the films he had done, but this Friday, the interview and a review of "I Am the White Tiger" will be posted. The film comes out on DVD and On Demand next Tuesday.

Drunken Monk
23 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

So for an update, had an excellent conversation with Mark Houghton. I promised him I'd keep a few things off record about some of the films he had done, but this Friday, the interview and a review of "I Am the White Tiger" will be posted. The film comes out on DVD and On Demand next Tuesday.

Excited for the film and your interview.

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

Great interview! I have my fingers crossed that, one day, we'll see Lau Kar Leung's last script come to life. He deserves one last farewell from the genre.

Mark seems like a super nice bloke. Someone who isn't afraid to revisit his roots.

1 minute ago, Drunken Monk said:

Great interview! I have my fingers crossed that, one day, we'll see Lau Kar Leung's last script come to life. He deserves one last farewell from the genre.

Mark seems like a super nice bloke. Someone who isn't afraid to revisit his roots.

He was super nice. We were in the phone for over an hour and both in a promise and respect,  there were stories I couldn't bring up but just to hear them were so amazing to hear.  He revels in the old days but is also looking to move forward as well. He's kept his word to Lau Kar Leung and I too hope he gets the film made. I also hope we do get to see Dragon Gate,  the lead role debut of his daughter. 

Drunken Monk

This is now free on Amazon Prime Video for those that want to watch it.

I'll say this: it's not a well-made documentary. In fact, it's pretty bad. It's Mark Houghton, sat down in various places, telling stories. That is literally it. Then there's a small segment dedicated to his daughter where they showcase a pretty bad fight scene. Shame really as his daughter seems really nice.

Throughout, I felt as though Houghton comes across as a bit of an unusual guy. Maybe even a bit pompous? He recounts tales of fighting gangsters and requiring four hundred stitches and yet these stories seem oddly fake. Maybe it's how he's telling them, I don't know. Maybe he has led a rough life.

All in all, I didn't really enjoy this. It's poorly made and doesn't really shed any new light on the Houghton/Lau Kar Leung relationship which I imagine most kung fu fans are watching it for. It's very much a Mark Houghton vanity project. But who am I to complain? It's not called The Lau Kar Leung story.

Worth a watch? Nah...not really.

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Throughout, I felt as though Houghton comes across as a bit of an unusual guy. Maybe even a bit pompous? He recounts tales of fighting gangsters and requiring four hundred stitches and yet these stories seem oddly fake. Maybe it's how he's telling them, I don't know. Maybe he has led a rough life.

Interesting, that kind of aligns with what I remember Bey Logan saying about him in an interview (which I think is from 2003, as at one point he mentions Benny Chan’s ‘Heroic Duo’ being a new release). Managed to dig it out -

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=71&page=2

Does the documentary at least contain an abundance of clips of him in action from his movies?

Drunken Monk
8 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Interesting, that kind of aligns with what I remember Bey Logan saying about him in an interview (which I think is from 2003, as at one point he mentions Benny Chan’s ‘Heroic Duo’ being a new release). Managed to dig it out -

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=71&page=2

Does the documentary at least contain an abundance of clips of him in action from his movies?

I wouldn't say abundance. There's certainly clips of him and quite a few of them, but they're very brief. The focus is definitely not on showcasing his filmography.

On 6/25/2020 at 8:07 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I wouldn't say abundance. There's certainly clips of him and quite a few of them, but they're very brief. The focus is definitely not on showcasing his filmography.

As mentioned, I got to interview Mark for the film (we were on the phone for over an hour and I still have the audio) but I delved more into it because I wanted to know more about his HK career and highlights. He had told me a student of his originally started work on it, but basically, he didn't know what he was doing so he pretty much took over with help from Lei Chiu, giving Lei the full credit because he simply didn't want it. I did get a few good stories from his HK days from the interview and some which I promised I'd keep off record, but it's quite interesting some of the tales I heard. And he even admitted he wasn't too thrilled with the crew during the making of the documentary.

As for the documentary, for what it was, I thought it was interesting to hear why he temporarily retired from acting and the struggles he endured before, during, and after his film career.

Archived