Redcon-1

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

I'm not usually one to go for low budget, seemingly straight-to-DVD films (unless Scott Adkin's is involved) but this looks marvelous. The trailer literally has zombies doing martial arts. Who can argue with that? It looks more like an action thriller or drama than a straight fight-fest but the action on display is pretty great...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking forward to this. I've been a fan of Cheung's work, Underground (12) and Bodyguard: A New Beginning. I think originally it was to have a generic title like Zombie Apocalypse, but I like that it was veered away for this one. 

Looks very  cheap .   No genuine superstar or acting talent appear present in trailer. .  

The shaky  camera work make it look too amateurish.

Dread Central Presents, the collaborative company between Epic Pictures and Dread Central, have scored the North American rights to Redcon-1 and has set a May 2019 release date.

From the press release:

Dread Central Presents and Epic Pictures are about to take you into post-apocalyptic England with the announcement that we will be releasing REDCON-1! The film comes from the mind of writer/director Chee Keong Cheung and is produced by Carlos Gallardo (Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico), Stephen L’Heureux (Sin City: A Dame to Kill For), and Kevin Eastman, co-creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and publisher of Heavy Metal.

A government experiment is unleashed, releasing a mutated genetic virus which amplifies and enhances human abilities. Amidst pandemic chaos, humanity is reborn as a stronger, faster, far more deadly creature; an evolutionary backlash that creates a new breed of killing machine.

As the military loses ground against the onslaught, preparations are made to launch a final strike against an infection they know they cannot contain or conquer; a cleansing of both infected and human alike.

Chee Keong Cheung states, “I’m incredibly excited to have the chance to partner up with Dread Central Presents for the US release of REDCON-1. The team at Dread Central have been instrumental in both discovering and putting a spotlight on so many great genre talents from around the world and I’m grateful and honored they feel so passionate about REDCON-1 and my vision for the film. I’m looking forward to taking audiences on an intense rollercoaster ride with REDCON-1.”

Carlos Gallardo adds, “REDCON-1 is an epic cinematic ride that gets better and better with repeat viewings. Chee is a great young director with a lot of talent and I believe a big career ahead of him. Finding a good filmmaking partner is important to keep advancing in this industry and to keep making films, films that entertain and have something to say. Working with Dread Central gives filmmakers a good platform to be seen and discovered.”

“The insanity of the threat was clear, the odds were overwhelming, only one man could pull off an impossible mission… and I’m only talking about [Chee Keong Cheung]!” gushes executive producer Kevin Eastman. “Wait until you see the film! REDCON-1 gets two bloody thumbs up from me!”

Dread Central Presents’ Director of Distribution Rob Galluzzo says, “The goal with the Dread Central Presents label has always been to introduce audiences to a diverse slate of genre offerings. We’re excited to give fans a shot of action-themed horror with REDCON-1!”

Directed by Chee Keong Cheung, who co-wrote the film with Steve Horvath and Mark StrangeREDCON-1 stars Oris ErhueroCarlos GallardoMark StrangeKatarina Leigh Waters, Martyn Ford, and Joshua Dickinson. It was also produced by Ioanna Karavela and Mark Strange.

Drunken Monk

Has anyone watched this garbage? I lasted maybe 20 minutes. The film was obviously made on a $5 budget and $4 of that went to the costumes.

What I saw was awful. Genuinely some of the worst directing I’ve ever seen. I’d rather not make a film that make something this shoddy. I don’t know if it gets better but me, I couldn’t tolerate it.

I watched it last night and the plus side, I did like the cast and the gory action and when Mark Strange lets loose his skills, it was great (his solo fight against the zombies was the action highlight of the film). My only gripe is that I felt it ran a bit too long. Some parts dragged on and on. It should have been around 90-95 minutes at most, not 117 minutes.

Archived