Last or Twilight Samurai?

Guest johnsykes2000

Guest johnsykes2000

If you had to choose between the two, which would you prefer to own on DVD? Please give reasons. Let's get some dialogue going on! :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kenichiku

Well I already own 'Tasogare Seibei' (Twilight) from last year and I'd say the Japan disc is hard to beat.

It's a classy 2 disc 'coffee table' package with tons of extras including a still filled booklet on dtr. Yamada's great filmography (Tora-san! Tora-san! Tora-san!). Expensive bugger though, clocking in at the time whopping 5250 yen (over 45 bucks) but couldn't help it, I splurged sight unseen. Didn't rank it as a superior Samurai flick but superior as an award worthy drama. 'Ame Agara's though just as spare on the swordplay, was IMO better as a Samurai flick.

Can't comment on 'Top Gun' Samurai yet.

Guest kungfusamurai

I haven't seen Twilight Samurai yet, but I'm thinking about getting it. I definitely will get Last Samurai.

KFS

Guest limubai2000

Although I love Last Samurai and it was one of my fav American movies last year ... Twilight Samurai to me is far better. (again thanks to the guys on this forum for recommending it)

Last Samurai has some great visiuals and Ken Watanabe steals the movie but it can't hold a candle to the acting in Twilight Samurai. Last Samurai has giant battle scenes and the kick ass samurai riding out of the forest scene and Twilight has no large scale battles but well done fight scenes that are more realistic.

Actually I would say get both... save the best for last, watch Twilight second like I did.

Guest sasakikojiro

It just goes to show how diverse ours tastes run.

Tasogare Seibei is one of my, if not my absolute favorite movies regardless of genre.

The acting, directing, story, and sets and settings are absolutely superb. Sanada Hiroyuki's character is developed is such a subtle and artful manner that it took me a couple of viewings to get a hold of what he really was all about.

The pathos of the characters, and the time in history depicted, is very compelling. The subtle details of postion, propriety, posture are all there. This is a movie about samurai.

To me, it makes The Last Samurai almost a Hollywood joke.

Guest limubai2000

Agreed sasakikojiro ... I still like Last Samurai for what it is/was. No American samurai movie can come close to 95% of what Japan has produced. No brainer there. (And I'm relatively new to this genre!)

Guest chiba2000

Totally agree with you, Last Samurai is too much Hollywood, Japan Samurai movies has always ruled and always will. Nice try though.

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest kenichiku

One caveat to those that are DVD Region restricted, forgot to note that it's a R2. If not a problem you're in luck, it's down to 4200 yen now. Either the exchange rates improved for outside Japan or I paid top yen when it was new: cdjapan.co

Been shopping with them for years when not in tripping in Akirabara or Shibuya w/my Mos-burger (which is 99% of the time)! Shipping's high though so account for it (perhaps also toss Kitano's 'Zatoichi' into your cart)....Sounds like we're negotiating the price of Toro (fatty tuna) down at Tsukiji market!

Guest ConspiracyTheory123

I just saw "Twilight Samurai" and really loved it. I hope it eventually gets a R1 release.

Archived