The Hollywood Years (1966) - (1971)

DragonClaws

Can anyone I-D the lady in this picture of Bruce Lee making a public appearance as Kato?.

BL2913.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Gene LeBell Comes To Grips With Bruce Lee: Gene LeBell and Bruce Lee Met in Hollywood

“At that time I had a small dojo near Paramount Studios,” LeBell explained. “Bruce would come to my school and I’d go to his.  Back then he had a small school in China Town. We worked out on a one-on-one basis and we both learned a great deal from each other. He taught me a lot of kung fu moves that I had never seen before, and Bruce was phenomenal with his kicks. He taught me how to do crescent kicks, and spinning back kicks. Of course nowadays everybody does those kicks, but back then it was all new and exciting. In return, I showed Bruce some judo throws and grappling techniques. In fact, he used one of the judo grappling armbars I taught him in “Enter The Dragon.”

Source- https://www.martialartsentertainment.com/gene-lebell-comes-to-grips-with-bruce-lee/

Gene LeBell takes another on-screen hit from Bruce Lee as Kato.

gene-bruce-green-hornet-740.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:17 PM, DragonClaws said:

Can anyone I-D the lady in this picture of Bruce Lee making a public appearance as Kato?.

BL2913.jpg

I recently got a magazine entirely dedicated to The Green Hornet, with a lot of pictures and comments (that I still haven't had time to read...) and the guy who sold it to me sent a dvdr with a lot of pictures of Bruce Lee on and outside the set of Green Hornet, among which there are these ones you posted. I didn't know that it was a public appearance and I thought that it was an Indian actress in one of the episodes.

On this dvdr I got, there are a lot of pictures of Bruce and Van Williams (such beautiful eyes !!) having fun on the beach and elsewhere, pictures on what looks like a wedding banquet, pictures of Bruce with his wife and son, teaching him some moves and so on...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I recently got a magazine entirely dedicated to The Green Hornet, with a lot of pictures and comments (that I still haven't had time to read...) and the guy who sold it to me sent a dvdr with a lot of pictures of Bruce Lee on and outside the set of Green Hornet, among which there are these ones you posted. I didn't know that it was a public appearance and I thought that it was an Indian actress in one of the episodes.

Sounds like a great find @ShawAngela, and that's really cool of the seller to include the DVD-R you mentioned.

21 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I didn't know that it was a public appearance and I thought that it was an Indian actress in one of the episodes. 

I was guessing that it was a public appearance rather than being taken from filming of the show. You might be right about her being an extra.

• Like 1

Derek Flint(James Coburn) get's his man in Our Man Flint(1966).

MV5BY2MzY2Y0M2EtNDZjZC00MTM1LWE3M2YtZmQy

Who can name the Martial Artist James Coburn and Bruce Lee refer to in this quote?. That refer's to Coburn Martial Arts teacher, for his role as Derek Flint.

Coburn had starred in the James Bond parody Our Man Flint, in which his character was meant to be a martial arts expert. Coburn asked Lee his opinion of the teacher he’d used for that film, and Bruce said he was “pretty far down the bottom” of all the martial arts teachers in the US.

Surce- https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2153112/who-was-bruce-lees-best-hollywood-kung-fu-student

b1938e12506b84d804c650ce85f2e955.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

julie-andrews-gettyimages-527186666_1600

The lone intersection with “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood” is when she and Edwards invited martial arts great Bruce Lee to lunch at their home, where he entertained them by springing from his chair into a flying side kick. (“Can Nureyev do this?” Lee asked.) - Julie Andrew's Biogrpahy

Source- https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2019-10-13/julie-andrews-home-work-memoir

Miss Andrews also had one of Bruce Lee friends and training partners Chuck Norris on her weekly American T.V Show

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:41 PM, DragonClaws said:

On the set of The Wrecking Crew(1968).

I had the dvd in my wishlist on ebay and I missed it !!!:bs_firey:

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 7:08 PM, DragonClaws said:

she and Edwards invited martial arts great Bruce Lee to lunch at their home,

Does it mean that Julie Andrews was married to Blake Edwards ? ! If so, she must have laughed more than once at home if he was as funny as in the pink panther !!

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 9:12 PM, ShawAngela said:

Does it mean that Julie Andrews was married to Blake Edwards ?

Yes the two were married.

On 11/13/2019 at 9:10 PM, ShawAngela said:

I had the dvd in my wishlist on ebay and I missed it !!!

Source- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wrecking-Crew-Region-2/dp/B07YLGJ4CF/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+wrecking+crew&qid=1573840188&s=dvd&sr=1-2

81pxrYXrPJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thank you very much for the link, but I can't buy from amazon, I don't buy from sites that don't use paypal.

Wait a minute !! I just found it on ebay by using the Spanish title !!

I buy it at once !! Thank you so much !!:bs_martialgreeting:

• Like 2

Bruce Lee’s one-inch punch kung fu moment recreated in Ip Man 4

Source- https://www.scmp.com/sport/martial-arts/kung-fu/article/3037042/bruce-lees-one-inch-punch-kung-fu-moment-recreated-ip

It's one of the most iconic moments in Bruce Lee’s career and fight fans will be able to relive it in the latest instalment of the hugely successful Ip Man franchise.

Lee’s one-inch punch – where from a single inch away, the martial arts legend was able to muster an explosive blow that could knock opponents clean off the ground – comes to life again on the big screen. Lee demonstrated his prowess in Long Beach, California in August 1964 a few years before he became a TV star, playing Kato in the hit series, The Green Hornet.

Bruce Lee demonstrating his One Inch Punch with Bob Baker during the mid 60's.

1503639689074-1500813592850943.jpeg

• Like 2

Thomas G Kuhn has had vast experience in the entertainment industry as studio executive (Warner Bros. TV), network television executive (NBC), corporate executive (RCA Video), and independent producer. He has produced television movies, series and mini-series, as well as Home Video projects, and Theatrical Feature Films.

Perhaps Mr Kuhn’s main claim to fame was when he was Vice President in Charge of Production for Warner Bros. TV and supervised the series Kung Fu. Bruce Lee was desperate for the part and gave an unauthorised audition for Tom in his office, the famous fist managing to stop a fraction of an inch from Tom’s chin.

He has worked with some of Hollywood’s  most iconic directors and stars including Robert Altman, Jean- Luc Godard, Nicholas Roeg, Bruce Beresford and Ken Russell. Stars included Diane Keaton,Elliot Gould and Jane Fonda.

Source- http://www.thetalentagencyltd.co.uk/consultants-thomas-g-kuhn.html

• Like 2

For instance, on page 108 Tommy Gong asserts that the book Wing Chun Kung-Fu by James Yimm Lee (Ohara Publications, 1972) was actually written by Bruce Lee in or around 1968. After later giving up on the Wing Chun system, Lee decided to shelve the project. Yet when his close friend James Yimm Lee needed help covering his final medical expenses (he died of lung cancer caused by chemicals employed in his career as a welder) Bruce asked his contacts at Ohara to rush the book into production. They were to list James Lee as the author and to send him the advance on the royalties. Gong asserts that James was named as the author of the book as Bruce did not want to be associated with the project after having decided to distance himself from the Wing Chun system.

This is a remarkable story. The only supporting source that seems to be listed is an intertextual mention of a conversation that the author had with Ted Wong (who helped in the photography for the project). If true this account has some pretty important implications.

To begin with, it would mean that the single most influential book on Wing Chun ever produced (and possibly the best selling English language book on the Chinese martial arts) was actually written by Bruce Lee. Better yet, it was written by someone who was trained by Ip Man (and his senior students) in the 1950s, who could faithfully relate what his system was actually like (at least up through Chum Kiu).

Source- https://chinesemartialstudies.com/2014/08/01/two-encounters-with-bruce-lee-finding-reality-in-the-life-of-the-little-dragon/

Yimm-Lee-book-2.jpg

Friends James Yimm-Lee and Bruce Lee.

Source- https://bccvoice.net/2017/11/22/self-defense-on-a-student-budget/

some-bruce-lee-shit-derek-wallace-e15114

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

WP-BRUCE_LEE_POSTER_MAGAZINE_ISSUE_3_V8_

Welcome to our third special-edition poster-magazine celebrating the life, legacy and legend of martial arts icon, Bruce Lee.

Inside is a glossy A1 poster featuring Bruce in his pioneering role of ‘Kato’ for the classic The Green Hornet TV series (1966-67).

Experience Bruce Lee’s courageous bid for stardom in the racially biased and discriminatory culture of 1960s Hollywood. Re-live the fascinating events behind his best-loved projects from the period and explore his game-changing friendships with some of Tinseltown’s most bankable and influential stars.

We pay tribute to Bruce Lee’s valued friendships with Jay Sebring and Sharon Tate  – two of The Manson Family’s tragic victims on August 9th, 1969 – and examine the devastating and transformative impact of the aftermath. ….

Packed with historic images, fascinating personal history and inspirational anecdotes, this special edition celebrates The Little Dragon’s valiant struggle for recognition and elucidates the challenges and triumphs that would prepare him to take the world by storm!

Each magazine comes sealed in a protective A4 crystal-clear envelope.

Pick up your copy now, whilst stocks last…

Source- https://bruceleethelifethelegacythelegend.com/product/bruce-lee-the-life-the-legacy-the-legend-poster-magazine-issue-3/

• Like 1

Meet Marlyn Mason, Force Of Nature!

Link- https://chrisjonesblog.com/2008/10/meet-marlyn-mason-force-of-nature.html

Marlyn is also chock full of old stories about the Hollywood of yesteryear, always threatening to spill the beans… One story really resonated with me. She was working with Bruce Lee, yes BRUCE LEE! And she was having a bad day and generally stomping around in a mood, perhaps even throwing a hissy fit – Bruce grabbed her by the arms and forced her to stop still for a moment, then quietly said, ‘Marlyn, what is… IS…’

She told me that hit her like a train wreck – she wandered around for a week trying to make sense until she finally got it – from that day she never complained again, and to this day, is generally the most exciting, passionate, fun and dynamic person in any room.There is a lesson for us all in this story…‘what is… IS…’

db9c2b95989d4187dd3f21470621a37c.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Has John Landis ever talked about Bruce Lee in any other interviews?. Are there any other sources that confirm what he says in the video below?. I cant help but feel there's some truth in what he says about most of Hollywood, not caring about Bruce Lee. During his first attempt to crack the American market in the 60's. Thing's had clearly changed a lot, when he was later approached to make a certain well known co-production in 1972.

• Like 2

Bruce probable weighed 135 pounds at most, but he could hit like a mule. I know, because he knocked me under Sharon Tate’s barstool at Columbia Pictures in 1968. Bruce never confronted any big men to my knowledge. There are stories out there, but none I personally know of.

Source- https://www.usadojo.com/skipper-mullins-interview/

skipper-mullins-c8a4f491-6f48-4858-a6ae-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2