questions for The Streetfighter- help!

Guest mormovies

Guest mormovies

At Media Blasters, we are scheduled to interview Sonny Chiba in Tokyo for our upcoming SAMURAI REINCARNATION DVD. I would be super grateful if any board members could submit questions regarding that film and Mr. Chiba's career in general. Eternal Thanks!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chiba2000

Cool! Please ask something about his greatest Jidai-Geki role ever, the one as Yagyu Jubei in many movies and series. Also will he be involved in future DVD releases of the world famous Yagyu TV-series?

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest kungfusamurai

Cool. I got a few:

"What inspired you to start up the Japan Action Club?"

"What do you think of your protege Hiroyuki Sanada's work today?"

"Will you ever resurrect the Street Fighter franchise, even if it's with a different actor in the lead part?"

"Why did you stop doing karate/yakuza roles after the 80's?"

"Do you still keep in touch with your former Japan Action Club students?"

"Did Tarantino ask you to do a fight scene in Kill Bill?"

"What film or group of films are you most proud of?"

"Do you have a favorite film - Japanese and non-Japanese?"

"Do you wish you could have starred in chambara films during the golden period of the 60's to early 70's?"

"Would you have liked to work with Kenji Misumi? Or Kurosawa?"

I was just brainstorming there.

KFS

Guest chiba2000

Well I have to admit something. It's no secret that I have never been impressed by any US/UK/HK DVD release of a Samurai/Ninja movies (except the new LoneWolf and Zatoichi stuff...they are learning), most are a mockery to the filmmakers if you ask me. BUT, with this coming release of Makai Tensho....yes damn it.....I'm thrilled beyond anything, can't wait to get my hands it, sounds like it will be a a stellar one! Even old dogs like me can change their minds he he.

Media Blaster, why don't you try and find Chiba's 3 first Chanbara movies, supposed to be great swordflicks ala Yakuza style...I have the posters and soon the names if you are interested?!

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest Grape Snapple

Yeah, love the Q on Sanada and the other JAC members. Very timely what with both Tasogare Seibei and Last Samurai. And hell, we'd all like to know if Sanada and Chiba are still in touch. It was great to see Kenji Ohba in Kill Bill, but I wonder what happened to Jiro Chiba.

It would be nice to find out how Chiba feels about his Streetfighter character (being his most famous in the U.S.) Takuma Tsurugi, or how that character was conceived and what he added to the character (since Kill Bill is filled with so much mythology).

Anybody got any sharp Q's on the Samurai Reincarnation film itself? Maybe something on the late Kinji Fukasaku and Battle Royale 2; or even the dedication to him in Kill Bill. I heard Fukasaku and Chiba were the greatest of friends.

My questions are too fanboyish, but I always wanted to know how Chiba got into Chanbara; who his tateshi (swordmaster) were; and if it's important to to show realism in chanbara (like if he's really doing Yagyu shinkage sword work or whatever when playing Yagyu Jubei).

I wonder how he feels about Japanese action today. It's certainly evident that the JAC has had a great influence in Japanese action, but I do miss the rough and tumble days of Chiba. Popular films like Versus and the new Shurayuki hime trace their roots from Hong Kong cinema, Jackie Chan and even Kurata Yasuaki's (who worked with Chiba a number of times) Action Club. While the explosion of karate flicks (or Chiba karate flicks) in the 70's was also due to the popularity of Bruce Lee and friends.

Perhaps not an important query but did Chiba have any influence in Kill Bill's fight scenes? I mean, did he even converse with Yuen Wo Ping? Early Tarantino interviews discussed how Chiba would do all the samurai choreography but how so? There's even a credit in the film for fight choreography. Later articles seem to describe Chiba's role as a trainer and not an on-set fight director. Was he simply responsible for the stances? Was the sword fight with O-Ren's first set of bodyguards and Chiba's daughter Chiba-directed?

Guest chiba2000

Hey Mormovies!

I have the Japanese movie program of Makai Tensho, it's loaded with info about the movie and making of, you want to borrow it? It's a goldmine!

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest kungfusamurai

What I would like to know was what was it like working with Tomisaburo Wakayama on SR. Did he require numerous takes to get the fight scenes right, or were his skills right on? Were there any concerns about his age and whether he would be able to pull off the sword fighting scenes?

KFS

Guest WalkOn

1- Did he train directly under Kyokushinkai founder Mas Oyama?

2- What was their relationship like? (if they had one)

3- Does he still train in that art? If so, how often?

4- Did Mas Oyama select Chiba to play his character in Oyama's biography film?

5- Did he ever meet Bruce Lee and what was his thoughts of him and what was their relationship like? (if any at all)

6 - What are his future projects? Who would he like to work with in Hollywood or in anyone in general?

Guest kungfusamurai
2- What was their relationship like? (if they had one)

Not that there's anything wrong with that! (to quote a Seinfeld line). :)

KFS

Guest chiba2000

Guess Mormovies is not around that often....like I said I have the Japan Movie Program if you like to borrow, it contains tons of Makai info and Making of Makai...USE IT!

Guest mormovies

Thanks everybody. I will let you know how the interview goes. Special thanks for the offer of the movie program but we have that and it will be included on the disc as an extra along with other surprises! Thanks to all for the questions and support!

Archived