The Great Battle (2018) South Korean Epic War Movie

whitesnake

The Great Battle is another epic war movie from South Korea.  It gets a Korean theatrical release on September 19, 2018.  The director is Kim Kwang-Sik (Tabloid Truth).  Cast includes Jo In-Sung (The King), Nam Joo-Hyuk (Bride of the Water God TV series), Sung Dong-Il (Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days), Kim Seol-Hyun (Memoir of a Murderer), and Park Sung-woong (The Swindlers).  IMDB plot synopsis - "A historical film about the siege of Ansi Fortress and the epic eighty-eight day battle that Yang Man-chun and his Goguryeo troops fought against 500,000 invading Tang dynasty men to defend it."  Goguryeo was one of Korea's ancient kingdoms.  The battle occurred in 645 AD.  Info from https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/korean-epic-the-great-battle-erupts-with-an-official-trailer/ and IMDB

Launch Trailer - 

• Like 2

According to Blu-ray.com, Well Go USA will release The Great Battle on Blu-ray on January 8, 2019.  http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Great-Battle-Blu-ray/214810/   The Korean title is Ansi-seong.  

The official Well Go USA teaser trailer shows the epic battle scenes with English subtitles - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

There's a favorable review of The Great Battle at https://screenanarchy.com/2018/09/review-the-great-battle-rip-roaring-war-film-eschews-nationalism.html  "Light on jingoism and heavy on spectacle, this surprisingly deft war film is an engaging ride throughout, even as it gets a little top-heavy in its final third... With its tale of a small squad of Korean warriors going up against and vanquishing foreign foes, the parallels between The Great Battle and all-time Korean box office champ Roaring Currents were evident from the get-go, but whereas the former work relied on heavy-handed nationalism, director Kim Kwang-sik reigns in the patriotic excess in his unabashedly fun was picture, as he crafts a driving David versus Goliath tale powered by solid design and effects work, which are matched with a colorful cast of misfits audiences will be happy to root for... Pacing throughout is tight and Kim's direction makes the action clear and easy to follow, whereas other Korean period epics often rely on a barrage of frenetic energy and frenzied camerawork... [The Great Battle] is a welcome change from the dreary nationalism we've come to expect from Korea's period war pictures."

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

Man, this movie looks really good. I actually saw it cheap in the store yesterday, but I didn't know if it was any good. Guess I will pick it up when I go back out.

• Like 2

Finally watch this one today, and I absolutely loved it! Yeah, its mostly fighting, but I found the story and characters involved in this "Great Battle" to be really good. 

• Like 3