Fung Bo Bo

ShawAngela

Maybe there is already a thread for her, but I didn't find it.

I just discovered that she has a sister who is also an actress and that I saw just yesterday while testing the discs of the new David Chiang's series Birth of a hero.

Her name is Fung Su Bo.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=fr&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5%86%AF%E7%B4%A0%E6%B3%A2/2114290&xid=17259,15700021,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700186,15700190,15700201,15700208&usg=ALkJrhhmxbblDD3KwchylSZ1-ctcI8kNaA

I thought that only Fung Bo BO and her brother were actors...

• Like 1

Maybe I should have renamed the topic " Fung Bo Bo and her sister ", but I don't know how to do, sorry.

• Like 1

Iron_Leopard

I only know her from the Red Lotus trilogy. She's one of if not THE main highlight of that series. 

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

There's a weird story about her in one of my old HK movie mags about her running away from home and then trying be become emancipated from her father, Fung Fung.... aka stroke face, at like age 15 or something.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
3 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Here's the article, which only has this one bit of English text.

bobo2.thumb.jpg.05ff1ae7e1d8d1448dce7c3cdda14de2.jpg

bobo1.thumb.jpg.b5d3c546966bb27b018141a2ca33416d.jpg

What is it with these Shaw Actresses running away?

Also what is "stroke face" referring to?

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
20 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

What is it with these Shaw Actresses running away?

They were young hormonal girls, expected to live a rather cloistered existense within the Shaw Movie Town. In the book China Forever: The Shaw Brothers and Diasporic Cinema, Cheng Pei Pei explains in great detail what it was like living in those studio dormitories. And although she loved it, it was obviously not for everyone. There were several scandals, such as the Margaret Tu Chuan double, lesbian suicide or Jenny Hu secretly marrying Hong Wai etc. I think Run Run's iron grip control on his stars went to the extreme, which resulted in a very productive film factory but at the expense of the actual people working there.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
18 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Also what is "stroke face" referring to?

I think he had a stroke or something and half his face got paralyzed and distorted.

FungFung1-9-b.jpg

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

They were young hormonal girls, expected to live a rather cloistered existense within the Shaw Movie Town. In the book China Forever: The Shaw Brothers and Diasporic Cinema, Cheng Pei Pei explains in great detail what it was like living in those studio dormitories. And although she loved it, it was obviously not for everyone. There were several scandals, such as the Margaret Tu Chuan double, lesbian suicide or Jenny Hu secretly marrying Hong Wai etc. I think Run Run's iron grip control on his stars went to the extreme, which resulted in a very productive film factory but at the expense of the actual people working there.

Ahh I hadn't thought about that. Makes sense. Teenagers in general already hate what limited control their parents have on them. I bet Shaws Brothers felt like that but multiplied by a hundred. 

2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I think he had a stroke or something and half his face got paralyzed and distorted.

FungFung1-9-b.jpg

Oh ok I misread and thought you weee talking about her.

• Like 3