When The Last Sword Is Drawn

Guest limubai2000

Guest limubai2000

Opinions from you guys on this film? I'm debating whether to order it or not.

How about how this holds up against Twilight Samurai?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chiba2000

like my Subject lines says... ORDER! :)

Twilight Samurai is the best (maybe the best in 20 years!), but "When...." is also very very good.

You should also consider buying Chushingura 1/47 from CDJapan, eventhough it doesn't say, it has English subtitles. Excellent movie.

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest kayelefkay

YES! ORDER!

This is a fantastic movie! Well worth the r2j disc.

Wow, Chushingura has English subs?! I had considered getting it when I heard it was being released but was disappointed when it was announced that there were no English subs. That's great news!

Guest limubai2000

Lucky for me I have my trusty Japanese girlfriend to translate if I don't have subtitles!! She translated nearly all of the Azumi bonus disc, line for line in real time -- she loved the film too!

Guest princepan

You will surely trash the Last Samurai!

In my opinion, only Japanese directors and story writers can produce genuine samurai movie

Guest kayelefkay
You will surely trash the Last Samurai!

In my opinion, only Japanese directors and story writers can produce genuine samurai movie

I agree that The Last Samurai does not quite reach the heights of either Twilight Samurai or When the Last Sword is Drawn (I liked the latter more myself) but I think it is a very different sort of film. Both Japanese movies showed the decline of the samurai and are regarded as a more realistic depiction of their nature whereas The Last Samurai clings to a very romantic notion of the samurai.

I don't think that there's anything necessarily wrong with a movie highlighting the romantic ideal of the samurai. It's all fiction anyhow. I guess the story is not nearly as moving because both Japanese movies were more personal (involving samurai struggling to feed their families) and directly relevant to ourselves (agh, why do we need to work, I ask! WHY!) whereas the Hollywood flick is more about reminiscing the loss of a romantic (and possibly never existing) ideal.

I sort of enjoyed The Last Samurai though. Loved the whole ninja attack sequence and all the pretty pictures. What irked me the most was the title of the film (The Last Samurai), being an obvious reference to you know who. I guess the last samurai in Japan just has to be a non-Japanese. And I also didn't appreciate the whole romantic subplot in the movie. Can't Hollywood make a movie about a white man in Asia where an Asian woman doesn't fall in love with him? I mean, the romance added NOTHING to the story.

Guest Soda drink

I finally got my copy of When the last sword was drawn...EXCELLENT MOVIE! I like it when movies try to realistically protray something rather than romanced version (with the Godfather and Lone Wolf series being an exception.)

I have a question though--- Does anyone know the actor who was coughing up blood in a closeup. He's the one smiling a lot, the jovial looking guy. He was really cool and I would like to see more of his movies. I believed his character was named Okita, but I'm not too sure.

Guest Soda drink

I know but did he actually die? I never spotted him again after that scene, so I just assumed he did. And WHAT is the actor's name??

Archived