Joker (2019) - Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz

AlbertV

I just didnt know how to feel about the character portrayal, they made him out to be this weird autistic person, I spent the entire film really unsure about his level of competence or intelligence. 

Once the face paint went on though I was having as good of a time as Joker himself. 

Thought the characterization and costume design was great for the Joker. Cant wait to get more of that. Theres still a lot left to unfold.

• Like 2

I loved it and believe it could be my favourite film of 2019. It’s as grotesque and perverse as it is sad and, at times, touching. I’d even go as far as you use the term “masterpiece.”

I didn’t care for the ambiguous ending but I’d say that once Phoenix is in full Joker mode, he’s my favourite Joker. Yep, even better than Ledger. It left me wanting so much more.

Also, I’d say this is my favourite origin story of all time.

• Like 4

According to Deadline, this may very well become the most successful R rated film of all time. It's already surpassed IT and is looking to make around $900 million off a $60 million budget.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, Drunken Monk said:

According to Deadline, this may very well become the most successful R rated film of all time. It's already surpassed IT and is looking to make around $900 million off a $60 million budget.

It already is....it beat Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds congratulated Warner Bros.

joker_1572091312_800x420.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 5:26 AM, Drunken Monk said:

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

It already is....

Not quite. Those figures haven't been adjusted for inflation. For example The Exorcist made over 900 million in the US theaters alone if counted in 2019 currency.

The news love to report how every new hit film is the most successful ever, but that just isn't true.

This list gives some perspective...Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses (US)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2019&ref_=bo_cso_ac

Not a single film made in the 2000s fit the TOP 10

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 3

I finally caught this over the weekend and I was shocked in a good way. I think this was one of Phoenix's best performances with the film tackling real-life issues involving mental health and how all the abuse he suffers slowly makes him even more crazy. I was really shocked at the twists in the film and that finale was holy cow! I'm kind of wishing Phoenix, not Jared Leto, played that character in Suicide Squad, but oh well...he really made this role his own! I am happy to hear he got nominated and I sure hope he wins the Academy Award for this film.

• Like 2

It was an alright movie. But I do think it tends to be way overrated. I've seen way better Jokers and way better psychological thrillers. 

• Like 1