Joker (2019) - Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz

AlbertV

joaquin-phoenix-as-joker-origin-film-rel

Todd Phillips (The Hangover trilogy) will direct The Joker: Origins, a 1980's set film about the man who will become the future Clown Prince of Crime. Joaquin Phoenix will take on the role of the future Joker and both Zazie Beetz and get this, Robert De Niro are in talks to join Phoenix in the film. Martin Scorsese is joining the film as a producer on the film.

The film is not related to Suicide Squad but if you missed it this weekend at Comic-Con, the DC Extended Universe has a new rebranding which will now revolve ALL DC films. The new title of this DC Universe? Worlds of DC.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/robert-de-niro-in-talks-for-joaquin-phoenix-joker-film-from-todd-phillips-1202431842/

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-dc-extended-universe-worlds-of-dc-reveal/

Other titles will include Jared Leto's solo Joker film and Birds of Prey, which will bring back Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 5

Drunken Monk

I'm a little worried about Phillips since all he's ever done is comedy but the idea of this film is massively appealing to me.

Frances Conroy is in talks to play Penny, the Joker's mother and De Niro, if he signs, will play a radio shock jock. Zazie Beetz has already signed as a single mother who gets the Joker's attention.

Shooting begins in September in New York.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/frances-conroy-in-talks-to-play-jokers-mother/

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

I'm sorry but I can't get any more excited about this than I can the Venom movie. What's the Joker without Batman? Who's going to be the protagonist? I can't see the Joker as being an antihero. He's psychotic. He doesn't care about doing anything right even for his own benefit. I honestly think this is nothing but a cash grab by the studios.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
7 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I'm sorry but I can't get any more excited about this than I can the Venom movie. What's the Joker without Batman? Who's going to be the protagonist? I can't see the Joker as being an antihero. He's psychotic. He doesn't care about doing anything right even for his own benefit. I honestly think this is nothing but a cash grab by the studios.

Personally, I'd watch the shit out of a Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) from Goodfellas film and I feel as though this could be a lot like that. A nice twist on the gangster genre. I don't necessarily need a protagonist, although a pre-Batman Jim Gordon could work just fine.

Weirdly, I'm excited for it. Again, I'm not a fan of the director but done right, this could be something special.

• Like 2

Yeah I honestly don't give a damn about the Venom movie, no offense to anyone who's waiting for it (I really don't mean to offend anyone). I don't get why DC is deciding to make this, when they could use the multiverse and doppelganger idea (from Arrowverse) to connect all of the shows and movies together. Then we could have a Gotham by Gaslight live-action movie (not that trainwrecked, and bastardized animation that had nothing to do with the comic). 

If anything, they should make a Ra's Al Ghul standalone film. He's already a beast, while there's no true backstory to Joker except some blur from The Killing Joke.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
21 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Then we could have a Gotham by Gaslight live-action movie (not that trainwrecked, and bastardized animation that had nothing to do with the comic). 

Never read the comic, but I enjoyed the movie. Thought the story and animation were quite good. But that's me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Never read the comic, but I enjoyed the movie. Thought the story and animation were quite good. But that's me.

It is, but my thing was that it virtually had nothing to do with the comic, sorta like the majority of Bond movies that use the same-titled novels have nothing to do with their counterparts (with the exception of OHMSS).

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 3:03 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

A live-Action version of Batman: The killing Joke would probably have been a better way of doing this. You would have most of the film about the Joker being Pre-Joker, but also intertwine the film with him VS Batman. 

• Like 3

I rather watch this than the Venom film. At least with this one, it doesn't seem, or just yet, like he's going to be an antihero. I like Joaquin Phoenix as an actor, and I loved his role with Mel Gibson in Signs (a great movie, definitely check that one out). He looks so much better as the Joker unlike the travesty that Jared Leto wound up portraying. Don't get me wrong, I support Leto's work, but I honestly think that he's a better musician than an actor, although the latest album is mediocre.

In relation to the Venom movie, it's funny how these character are better representation to their predecessors (Tom Hardy to Topher Grace, and Joaquin Phoenix to Jared Leto). I watched all three Spidermans again yesterday and forgot how terrible Venom looked lol

• Like 3

This is also only one of the Joker films because it was announced that Leto is doing his own solo Joker film.  This one with Phoenix looks quite intriguing.  I know this is supposed to be more of a gritty crime drama but to bring that presence,  I can see it working. I know Martin Scorsese is going to offer some input as he is producing this after all and if anyone knows the gritty crime drama very well it's him.

Here's the article on Leto getting his solo Joker film

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joker-jared-leto-standalone-movie-warner-bros-1202831025/

Edited by AlbertV

Speaking for myself, I don't expect much for this one. I'm pretty sure Phoenix will be amazing, but Philipps is not talented enough to shot a deep and strong Joker, like what Ledger & Nolan tried to do. Like suicide squad it will probably be another dull Holywood-ish movie, due to a lame director, censored by greedy and prude studios and producers. Sad. But I'll read again comics by Snyder's and others with great pleasure! After all cinema isn't everything especially regarding comic book adaptation.

19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

13891129-32B7-418A-B778-9521E7098571.jpeg

Ugh. Just unconvincing. Another fail. Just because he has clown makeup on his face and greenish hair does not make him The Joker...

Edited by Shaolivevil

42 minutes ago, Shaolivevil said:

Ugh. Just unconvincing. Another fail. Just because he has clown makeup on his face and greenish hair does not make him The Joker...

What DOES make him The Joker? His performance, I imagine. I think a lot of people are judging his far too harshly considering we’ve only seen on-set pictures. For all we know, he could be fantastic in the role.

With all that said, I think the picture I posted above looks great. 

19 hours ago, AlbertV said:

This is also only one of the Joker films because it was announced that Leto is doing his own solo Joker film.

Thats awesome news. I loved the Leto adaptation of the Joker. Thought it was a really cool twist on the classic villian. 

I feel like Phoenix resembles Ledger quite a bit, at least under facepaint. Strange choice, but starting to make more sense to me the more I get used to the idea of it.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Shades of Cesar Romero...and not in a good way.

Your right, looks like they asked a child to re-create Cesar's classic look. Probably as nod to the late Heath Ledger's version of the character?.

20 minutes ago, laagi said:

Intriguing...

I'm digging the grittiness and what looks like a slow transformation...I definitely want to check this out.

• Like 2