Enter the Dragon (remake)

Guest stormybman

DragonClaws

There's been rumour's of a re-make floating around, for as long as I've been into this genra. Not saying it wont happen, but it seem's every three or four year's, we get a new rumour. Guess it keep's Lee's name in the press.

Drunken Monk
3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

There's been rumour's of a re-make floating around, for as long as I've been into this genra. Not saying it wont happen, but it seem's every three or four year's, we get a new rumour. Guess it keep's Lee's name in the press.

Yeah, it might be bollocks. These big-name action directors are often linked to martial arts films that never see the light of day. Wasn't Justin Lin rumored to be working on a Shaolin Temple remake at some point?
At least James Wan has officially announced that he's one of the producers of the new Mortal Kombat movie.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
3 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

At least James Wan has officially announced that he's one of the producers of the new Mortal Kombat movie.

Anohter title that been talked about many times, but if Wan has announced he's producing, surely this has more weght to it?.

4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Yeah, it might be bollocks. These big-name action directors are often linked to martial arts films that never see the light of day. Wasn't Justin Lin rumored to be working on a Shaolin Temple remake at some point?

True, I think he was attached to a Shaolin Temple re-make at one point.

Hollywood needs to stop turning the classics into shit remakes. Bruce Le would do a better job with making a "sequel".

On the contrary of continuing movies, Ill wait for that supposed MK3 they probably aren't going to make. They at least better make The Legend of Conan with Arnold!

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Remember when Brett Ratner and Spike Lee were connected to the re-make?.

It would be interesting to see an up-date featuirng Wesley Snipes or Michael Jai White playing Williams, Jason Statham or Scott Adkins as Roper, and Tony Jaa as the Monk character. With Donnie Yen playing the Mr Han role.

Hollywood has sunk to another new low? Yeah, sounds about right! Honestly, ETD was a shit movie! It was only because of BL that that movie is even still mentioned these days. What would be the point without him still around to be in it. Well, actually, I guess he could be. If the estate has approved all the other crap released in the name of BL then perhaps they would sign off on a digital recreation being used in a big budget Hollywood movie. 

46 minutes ago, reason108 said:

Honestly, ETD was a shit movie!

Could you explain your thoughts on this, please ?

Personnally, I think that Bruce Lee's  worst movie was The way of the dragon. The fights and the music were good, but the plot wasn't interesting or should have been filmed in a better way and more seriously.

I have seen Enter the dragon at least thrice, The way of the dragon twice (on TV and later on VHS), as well as Big Boss and I watched Game of death only once.

My favourite of his is Fist of fury which I watched also at least thrice. This one and Big boss were more in the " Chinese spirit " of all the other martial arts movies I watched from this era.

While taking a look to his filmography in order to write the right English titles of his movies in this message, I just saw that he also played in a movie called The wise guys who fool around. I f I'm not mistaken, I must have downloaded this movie years ago due to Wu Fung and other's presence, but I don't remember to have seen Bruce Lee in it. As he was a very good dancer and this movie has musical numbers, maybe he is one of the dancers in the dancing sequences.

When I'll find a while, I'll try to watch it and spot Bruce Lee...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Could you explain your thoughts on this, please ?

Personnally, I think that Bruce Lee's  worst movie was The way of the dragon. The fights and the music were good, but the plot wasn't interesting or should have been filmed in a better way and more seriously.

I have seen Enter the dragon at least thrice, The way of the dragon twice (on TV and later on VHS), as well as Big Boss and I watched Game of death only once.

My favourite of his is Fist of fury which I watched also at least thrice. This one and Big boss were more in the " Chinese spirit " of all the other martial arts movies I watched from this era.

While taking a look to his filmography in order to write the right English titles of his movies in this message, I just saw that he also played in a movie called The wise guys who fool around. I f I'm not mistaken, I must have downloaded this movie years ago due to Wu Fung and other's presence, but I don't remember to have seen Bruce Lee in it. As he was a very good dancer and this movie has musical numbers, maybe he is one of the dancers in the dancing sequences.

Well, nothing really stands out about it except Bruce. The plot was decent enough and yeah there are some memorable lines but would it be sitting at the heights it has attained if it were not for Bruce? John Saxon couldn't carry the movie. Jim Kelly was probably the next best thing to Bruce there. But, he really couldn't carry the movie either. Otherwise, it was just an average action film that was somewhat typical of that early 70`s era. The fight scenes were nothing except when Bruce, himself, were in them. And, what fight scene was there? Just Bruce and Bob Wall. That was it. Though, the end fight has some iconic moments, it was pretty weak. But, it pales in comparison to many of the Shaw Brothers films from that same time period as far as production values, action, choreography and direction, etc. What sucks for me is that ETD was considered the best action movie that Hollywood ever made; and was considered the "pinnacle" of action films for a very long time. But, because of that, I feel that we (people that grew up in the United States) missed out on so much more. We missed out on so many great movies because of Bruce Lee`s shadow. There were so many films and stars that I had to discover on my own years later because they were never mentioned by most people. Everyone only talked about BL (or Chuck Norris) because that was pretty much all they knew. Before the internet, there were so many great things that remained hidden to me. Thankfully, the internet and video stores came into my life at the right time and I was able to venture out on my own and discover this whole world of great kung-fu films.  

When I was younger, I thought that WOTD was Bruce`s weakest film. Hated GOD and still do. But, now, I realize that WOTD had a lot going for it and was a much better film that ETD. The fight between Bruce and Chuck is classic. And, the twist at the end I did not see coming. So, there was some potential there as a director had Bruce lived. Of course, Bruce`s GOD could have been something else had he lived as that 40 minutes of fight footage was pretty good and slightly ahead of its time. Too bad he didn't finish that instead of making ETD. 

As far as BL films go: Fist of Fury, WOTD, ETD and The Big Boss

BL as fight choreographer: GOD (Bruce`s fight footage - not the movie that was made after he died) and WOTD (Bruce vs Chuck) and (Bruce`s outside/outdoors fights) 

Come to think of it...what if Bruce had re-shot some of the fight footage that he made for Game and worked the pagoda into ETD. A tower filled full of top martial arts fighters on Han`s Island. Bruce would have fought his way to the top of the pagoda along with Jim Kelly and John Saxon to find Han at the top in the hall of mirrors. Jim Kelly deserved a much better death than at the hands of some female bodyguards and a dip in the "pool". Kareem could have tossed him down the stairs and broke him in two. John Saxon could have fought Bolo and not had the energy to go on, or been too injured, just leaving Bruce to tackle Kareem. After defeating Kareem, Bruce would be too tired to fight anyone else except an old man with a claw hand in a hall of mirrors. 

Edited by reason108
  • Like 4

On 7/23/2018 at 3:47 PM, Drunken Monk said:

pparently, Deadpool 2 director, David Leitch is in talks to remake Enter the Dragon

Don't we already have a handful of remakes, like Force: Five and Mortal Kombat. Do we need another?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I just realized that I made a mistake and that the movie I have is Wise wives and foolish husbands and not the one with Bruce Lee. It would be interesting to find it and sse what it looks like...

• Like 1

Cognoscente

If they do a remake of ETD, they should revamp the storyline so that it becomes the martial arts equivalent to an escape room labyrinth where the contestants have to fight warriors who are affiliated with the drug kingpin's organization. Each time that an opponent is killed or knocked down, the victor is given something that enables them to escape the room.

• Like 2