Drunken Master II getting a Japanese and HK blu-ray release.

Asmo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, newgen2005 said:

Got mine today (HK) Blu-ray. Uncut version, with English dub, not the one JC did for the US release.

ygBVO6g.jpg
YJMmWtO.jpg
aJUOdi8.jpg

Screen caps.

53FWt6E.png
8GMDbog.png

Hey Newgen how long did yours take to arrive in the UK? And did you have to pay taxes? Thanks looks great 

18 hours ago, Asmo said:

Hope so. I bought the HK edition to support the release, but I'd gladly double dip on a Eureka.

I'm getting Korean edition to support it's release.  If Eureka releases ill buy their blu-ray edition of Drunken Master 2.

9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Is it an all region blu ray ?

12 hours ago, Graysman said:

Hey Newgen how long did yours take to arrive in the UK? And did you have to pay taxes? Thanks looks great 

9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Is it an all region blu ray ?

I would assume this is all Region it doesn’t mention on the back of the Blu Ray that it’s Region A locked.

Hey @newgen2005, thanks for the caps!

When you get a chance, would you perhaps be able to see if the Cantonese track is in sync during the scene where Wong Fei Hung is drunk and singing about his father? From memory, the Thakral DVD used a slightly different take of that scene, and the audio wasn't really in sync. Or something along those lines, anyway. Thanks!

On 10/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, Graysman said:

I got it from DDDHouse, it took about 4 days to get here (UK). Didn't have to pay any taxes.

12 hours ago, Graysman said:

I would assume this is all Region it doesn’t mention on the back of the Blu Ray that it’s Region A locked.

It is region free.

Just got mine and threw it in the Blu Ray player. The subs, while tailored for those who are hard of hearing, are great. The film has never looked better too.

It’s a VERY bare bones release but I’m super happy I bought it.

11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Just got mine and threw it in the Blu Ray player. The subs, while tailored for those who are hard of hearing, are great. The film has never looked better too.

It’s a VERY bare bones release but I’m super happy I bought it.

Glad to hear it's a good one!

1 hour ago, Ramji said:

Are they dubtitles? Or same as the Mei Ah VCD?

That is a good question. Do you have an example of the Mei Ah subs? Maybe a YouTube clip? I’d be happy to look.

If not, I can check the dub and compare them to the subs.

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

That is a good question. Do you have an example of the Mei Ah subs? Maybe a YouTube clip? I’d be happy to look.

I know that the English subs are inaccurate during the market fight, when Jackie names the 8 Drunken Gods. Likewise when Ti Lung and Jackie return home, Ti asks why it took the girl so long to open the door, and the girl responds that she couldn't hear them knocking. In the dub, Ti asks why they were kept waiting, and the girl responds by saying that they had so much work to do inside the house (something along those lines). You could perhaps check those scenes to see if more lines match the dub, if that's okay?

4 hours ago, Asmo said:

I know that the English subs are inaccurate during the market fight, when Jackie names the 8 Drunken Gods. Likewise when Ti Lung and Jackie return home, Ti asks why it took the girl so long to open the door, and the girl responds that she couldn't hear them knocking. In the dub, Ti asks why they were kept waiting, and the girl responds by saying that they had so much work to do inside the house (something along those lines). You could perhaps check those scenes to see if more lines match the dub, if that's okay?

No problem. I will check tonight or tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I don't have my VCD anymore unfortunately so can't post up any screen caps but I found this clip on YouTube either from the mei ah VCD or Thakral DVD.

http://youtu.be/0A1vMKS6jFg

Thank you!

Aww man, I just bought the Eureka Blu-ray of the first Drunken Master; I'm not down to spend another $25 so soon. 😁 I hear there's a Japanese Blu-ray and a Korean Blu-ray coming out soon as well. I'll wait to the special features on those before I buy any of them. But still, extremely happy to hear that the uncut version has FINALLY been released in HD with its original Cantonese, in its original aspect ratio, and with English subtitles!

5 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Aww man, I just bought the Eureka Blu-ray of the first Drunken Master; I'm not down to spend another $25 so soon. 😁 I hear there's a Japanese Blu-ray and a Korean Blu-ray coming out soon as well. I'll wait to the special features on those before I buy any of them. But still, extremely happy to hear that the uncut version has FINALLY been released in HD with its original Cantonese, in its original aspect ratio, and with English subtitles!

The special features on the Japanese one seem confined to different cuts/dubs of the film, as well as an interview with Jackie. Not sure about the Korean release, since it appears to be a single disc. 

Comparison screenshots also revealed something I never picked up on: the Miramax version (at least the blu-ray, can't recall the DVD) is slightly cropped. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:47 PM, Asmo said:

The special features on the Japanese one seem confined to different cuts/dubs of the film, as well as an interview with Jackie. Not sure about the Korean release, since it appears to be a single disc.  

Yeah it seems that you're right. Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum got the Japanese Blu-ray and said that Disc 2 has the US cut in HD. It also has the international English version (not dubbed by Jackie Chan) and the Japanese cut, both in SD and seemingly letterboxed according to his screenshots. The international English version and the Japanese cut run at the same length, ending with the freeze-frame of Jackie Chan blowing a bubble. I'm assuming that Disc 1 of the Japanese Blu-ray is similar to the Hong Kong Blu-ray but I can't verify that.

IIRC, the Japanese Blu-ray is twice as much as the Hong Kong Blu-ray, and I don't think I care enough for the different cuts/dubs (though the bonus material and booklet are pretty cool). 😁

Yeah it seems that you're right. Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum got the Japanese Blu-ray and said that Disc 2 has the US cut in HD. It also has the international English version (not dubbed by Jackie Chan) and the Japanese cut, both in SD and seemingly letterboxed according to his screenshots. The international English version and the Japanese cut run at the same length, ending with the freeze-frame of Jackie Chan blowing a bubble. I'm assuming that Disc 1 of the Japanese Blu-ray is similar to the Hong Kong Blu-ray but I can't verify that.

IIRC, the Japanese Blu-ray is twice as much as the Hong Kong Blu-ray, and I don't think I care enough for the different cuts/dubs (though the bonus material and booklet are pretty cool). 😁

Disc 1 of the Japanese cut would likely be exactly the same as the HK version. Possibly without English subs. The HK version has a separate menu with options for both of the Japanese dubs.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, Asmo said:

Disc 1 of the Japanese cut would likely be exactly the same as the HK version. Possibly without English subs. The HK version has a separate menu with options for both of the Japanese dubs.

Apparently the Japanese Blu-ray does have English subtitles and is region free.

Apparently the Japanese Blu-ray does have English subtitles and is region free.

That makes sense, since the HK, Japanese (disc one), and Korean blu-rays share the same disc. I did just think that the Japanese one mightn't have included English subtitles, since many of their releases often don't. Good to know. 

57 minutes ago, hanshotfirst1138 said:

Have we finally gotten the long dreamed-of proper release of DM II? How have I not heard about this?

except for the SDH english subs

hanshotfirst1138

Hmm, I wonder which version to get? The Japanese disc seems to have some extra stuff, but it’s so damned expensive. 

Archived