Yash Johar, India & The Silent Flute Locations

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Did anyone interview Mr Johar?, about his experience helping out with the Silent Flute location hunting trip, in India?

Bruce Lee, James Coburn, Yash Johar, during the Silent Flute, location scouting trip in India.

karan-yash-johar-759.jpg

Karan Johar is known to share a close bond with his late father, Yash Johar and is often seen recalling the good old days with him. Recently, a throwback picture of the veteran filmmaker surfaced on social media and Karan was more than delighted and nostalgic at the same time. The image in question was shared by ace director Shekhar Kapur and it left KJo highly emotional. It had Yash Johar along with legendary action star Bruce Lee and actor James Coburn.

Shekhar Kapur shared the picture on Twitter. He wrote, “Hi @karanjohar. Was going thru archives in research for my film on Bruce Lee. Look what I found! A Pic of ur Dad with James Coburn and Bruce.” Karan, feeling amazed with the pleasant surprise replied, “OMG! That’s amazing!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this @shekharkapur”. He even went on to share the picture on his Instagram handle, saying, “My father and Bruce Lee in one image!! Never thought I would see this visual! Thanks #shekharkapur.”

Link- https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/karan-johar-was-caught-off-guard-when-shekhar-kapur-shared-a-throwback-picture-of-yash-johar-and-bruce-lee-4691877/

First time I've heard about the Shekhar Kapur BL documentary?, anyone know more about this?

According to the following article, Bruce Lee went to India to learn nunchaku?, which I thought he learned from Dan Inosanto?. The article quotes Robert Lee as saying his brother stopped in India for six months in the early 70's?. Has the author just got this mixed up with the Silent Flute location scouting, funded by 20th Cenutry Fox?. Which took place in the 60's.

Bruce Lee's trip to South India to learn Nun-Chaku

Link- https://thelondonreturnjournal.blogspot.com/2015/02/bruce-lees-trip-to-south-india-to-learn.html

Another shot of Bruce Lee in India, beng greet at the airport by Yash Johar, with James Coburn having his back to the camera, while talking to a 20th Fox employee?

cd912dd5f85d46948b8aabe57ed452d7--bruce-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

A high kick in the Indian desert for Coburns photo, I wonder what happened to the rest of those images?.

77kPHnA8DsPL-OpdO62hK-gFHh4lAXtNjTIq5eUY

Is the guy in the hat and shades a Fox executive?, think its the same man Coburn is talking to in another photo?.

c34c672131528aa68c0167b2b65d895a--bruce-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee’s Inspiration Was This Indian Pehalwan Who Was So Strong He Could Lift 1,200 Kgs!

Link- https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Indian-Wrestler-Bruce-Lees-Inspiration/#.do1t9hgq6

942677266.jpg

This man was just one of the old time strongmen Lee admired, with Eugen Sandow and George Hackenschmit being two others that BL read about. A number of their book's ended up in Lee's persoanl library.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

I cant name the two men stood between Sterling Silliphant and Bruce Lee?.

Another shot from thier arrival in India.

60c80f856f7a1a4e0dff852ed0514796--bruce-

• Like 1

DragonClaws
On 7/20/2018 at 6:28 AM, DragonClaws said:

First time I've heard about the Shekhar Kapur BL documentary?, anyone know more about this?

Answering my own question here, Shakhar Kapur was the guy set to direct the Shannon Lee scripted U.S/China co-produciton Little Dragon. My mistake, in thinking he was working on a documentary.

Link- https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/shekhar-kapur-bruce-lee-biopic-little-dragon-4965968/

More detials/discussion on that project here.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Coburn and Lee, look at the endless Indian desert, a possible location for the opening of The Silent Flute story?

XyIMSViOxTPk4pciNKBuT0VZCTGqci4Yr5x_x8Qa

• Like 2

DragonClaws

While nothing came of Lee's trip to India, it did inspire him, in regards to using a pogoda in a certain future project. This of course was Game of Death, it was during his trip to Nepal, that he was inspired by a lot of building there.

If you skip to 49.41, to for the short section on this trip to India, I'm not sure where the pogoda footage comes from?, maybe another Golden Harvest film?. It's interesting, that the narrator' says BL was interested in creating a mini Martial Arts school, within a pogoda. Thats rarely if at all mentioned by fans and author's since his passing. Was the Korean Island to be a Martial Arts centre?, rather than just a criminal syndicate?. It's an idea that would later appear in the Enter The Dragon script. With Han living on an island, and having a large number of Martial Arts follower's.

(Video Link Expired)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

This looks like the book to purchase, if you want to find out more about BL Silent Flute Project. Including the location scouting trip to India.

TheSilentFlute_B2_Japan_Seito-1-500x706.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Forgotten New Hollywood Part 1: The Silent Flute

It’s a martial arts-based Zen parable choc-a-bloc with Eastern philosophy punctuated by fight scenes set in a mystical (and vague) time and place.  The Silent Flute (a.k.a. Circle of Iron), unlike most films to be written in this series of forgotten gems of the New Hollywood movement, is exactly what one would call “good”.  It is fascinating, though. I would also challenge anyone to come up with a film like it in terms of setting, themes and performance. 

The history of The Silent Flute is a convoluted and contradictory one.  The agreed facts are this: In the late 1960s, Bruce Lee and James Coburn concieved a story about a warrior who seeks enlightenment.

317dd84e32742a1b0a0bf716be55044d.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws

"They arrived at the beaches of Goa to find them overrun by Western hippies from America, Germany, France, and Britain, beautiful long-haired young people lying around naked. “God knows how but all the hippie kids knew who Bruce Lee was,” recalls Silliphant. “They must have seen him in The Green Hornet. They knew him more than they knew Coburn.”  The hippies invited them to hang out. For two days, Silliphant, Coburn, and Lee smoked Nepalese hash and talked about how to adapt their screenplay for India. Coburn didn’t think it was possible, Silliphant was ambivalent, and Bruce anxiously tried to convince them that they could shoot around bad locations. “Warner Bros. wants to do it. Why wouldn’t we do it?” Bruce argued. “To hell with the locations, we can make this work. We will make this work.” Warner Bros. had paid for the entire trip out of blocked rupees and made all the arrangements. At every hotel, James Coburn, as the director and star, was given the biggest suite, while Silliphant, the lowly writer, and Lee, the no-name Chinese actor, were put in adjoining closet-sized rooms. The lumpy bed in the Goa Hotel irritated Bruce’s back. By the time they flew to Bombay for their last night before returning home, the pain was excruciating. A chauffeur drove them from the airport to the Taj Mahal palace"

Source: Bruce Lee a Life by Mattew Polly

Image - Goa beach in Western India.

BL3446Goa.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1