Enter the Dragon - The Most Overrated Kung-Fu Movie Ever Made?

One Armed Boxer

On 8/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, Killer Meteor said:

I wondered where Han's daughters went during the end fight, considering they were set-up as fighters. Was it too much to have them or Tania in a quick cat fight with Mei Ling?

Jim Kelly snuck in their boudoir and wore them out before his demise at the hands of Han. I suspect that's why Han dispatched him in a particularly brutal manner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Funny review...had to chuckle several times...not totally agrreing on it tho. But its also my least favourite Bruce Lee movie...but I prefer Ho Chung tao all day anyway hahaha..

sorry (not)....

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Like most things, Bruce Lee movies come down to taste.

I've seen them all 100s of times, but Enter the Dragon is my favourite by some distance. The need to pull up its flaws is tempting simply because of its enormous success, but I could have a dandy old time tearing The Big Boss and Way of the Dragon to shreds.

Fist of Fury is the most professional of Lee's HK made movies, but Enter the Dragon was just a godsend IMO. I'm in the U.K. and purchased a multi-region Blu Ray player and the Criterion box set just so that I could get a hold of the 99-minute theatrical print. I would not be stopped!

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Cognoscente
On 7/14/2018 at 1:35 AM, JohnnieFreeze said:

A couple things wrong with ETD. Lee should've fought Bolo, and it should've been Lee and Williams kicking a$$ in the end...but that's American Hollywood politics for you. Other than these points, Bruce was about as close to perfect in this role (with what he had to work with) as you can get. 

Which is why the Hong Kong version should have been an opportunity to do an alternate cut where Williams lives but Roper gets killed by way of a stand-in representing John Saxon.

That way, The Tattoo Connection could have been advertised as an ETD spin-off instead of a Black Belt Jones sequel.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer

I may have made an enemy :tongueout - 

• Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

God, it's like those people who do reaction/critique videos of Nostalgia Critic or Angry Video Game Nerd videos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk
5 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

What's funny is that he agrees with you on many of your points. His video isn't really much of a takedown, although judging from his demeanor, I think it was meant to be a light response and less of an attack.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer
23 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

What's funny is that he agrees with you on many of your points. His video isn't really much of a takedown, although judging from his demeanor, I think it was meant to be a light response and less of an attack.

Yeah agreed, my initial post was also intended as sarcasm, something which even for as long as the internet has been around I still forget doesn't really come across over the written word. :tongueout I actually found it to be a respectful and entertaining dissection of my viewpoints, and fully appreciate those who viewed ETD closer to the time it was released have a far greater appreciation for its impact than those who watched it much later on. Of course, any clip which ends with "tell me what you think of the article in the comments" is a call to arms to break out the eggs and rotten tomatoes, but I feel like I've gotten away with only being semi-roasted in this instance! 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Stripey's great, really enjoy listening to his takes on all things Bruce, seems like a lovely guy too. I wouldn't take it too personally :)

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

CaldoTheKid

I like it a lot but much prefer Bruce's previous movies. I feel the same way about The Crow, give me Rapid Fire or Little Tokyo over The Crow.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

J.J. Hayden
8 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

This man comes right out of a comic book :khi5c:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

SunChien

I like the film, though I find myself watching Way of the Dragon w/Bruce & Chuck Norris much more.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Beardys Feather

I think the guy needs to watch more Kung Fu films... Never seen Blood Brothers??:09:

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

can something that wasn't over-rated become over-rated time? for example.  5 deadly venoms

• Like 3

PandaPawPaw

I thought the editing of ETD was really bad at points. Like Bolo's odd death (all it took was a kick to the nuts apparently) or BL waving the stick at one of the guards who's being held by the captives ready to be stuck, then the next shot he's on the floor. :thinking

At least it gave us some memorable quotes:

tumblr_pufr2qLK1E1v6w3juo1_500.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa_9WfEBpggoPTqy2796X

036ceecc-a218-47ef-8c4d-7db4f2b5cb98_tex

d6e7d601-2001-436a-bd1c-22fede9a5853_tex

d4272682-16a6-4f55-b7a6-8a91d22c3d30_tex

acda39d3-4a2e-45fc-8fa2-d86990f4a800_tex

4fe16938-9c41-476c-aa3a-9dc6e0bdbaac_tex

1b4a62d8-a2be-4f76-926e-b5e3cbdcab45_tex

Tons more too! :D

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Enter the Dragon might not be the best Kung Fu film ever made objectively but it's sure as hell iconic. I absolutely love it. Even though it's tragic I love Angela Mao's part in it. Lalo Schifrin Soundtrack, HK in the 70's and the junks. Jim Kelly! Bruce absolutely electric. Come on now :tongue:

I love Blood Brothers too but Bruce was so far ahead of the game at that point with his choreography. I'm sure Sammo would testify. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor

My main memory of BLOOD BROTHERS is that it had way too much footage of people slowwlllyyyy rolling down hills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Beardys Feather
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

My main memory of BLOOD BROTHERS is that it had way too much footage of people slowwlllyyyy rolling down hills.

The bits where they aren't rolling were pretty decent 😂

I meant to say that it would be good to have seen more Kung Fu from 1973 to give context to ones opinion when rebuking the original article 😉

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ChillyChong
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Was there? I haven't watched it for few good years. Mind linked your sentence to Water Margin, movie boring beyond belief.

• Buddha Bless You 1

AlexanderFu
On 8/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, bigrogie said:

A WWF (now WWE) wrestler during the 80s & 90s.

The Gordon Solie days in Georgia were the best, so hilarious. :cool

So many great names & I loved the TV ring & small audience way more than the actual Big building cards.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
59 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

Was there? I haven't watched it for few good years. Mind linked your sentence to Water Margin, movie boring beyond belief.

WATER MARGIN does have this to redeem it

• Buddha Bless You 1

ShawAngela
13 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

WATER MARGIN does have this to redeem it

Nice song, however, it always shocks me a little bit to hear such "modern" theme in movies where the story takes place when the electric guitar didn't even exist. It doesn't fit the movies, in my opinion. There are several Shaws' movies where I was surprised by the choice of the music, that didn't fit at all the atmosphere of the movies themselves.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

morpheus

I think the scripting could have been much better; plus the absence of someone makes the picture....lacking.

nora miao.jpg

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ShawAngela
52 minutes ago, morpheus said:

I think the scripting could have been much better; plus the absence of someone makes the picture....lacking.

nora miao.jpg

Well, had she been in the movie, she should have had a more consistent role than what she had to do in Big Boss and Way of the dragon. It was such a waste to see her doing nothing in these movies!

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1