Charlie's Angels: Re-Boot - MK II (2019)

DragonClaws

So I saw this yesterday. Get ready for the biggest shock everyone.... It ain't great. In fact it's just flat. I love Elizabeth Banks generally but directing a fight scene is not her forte, choppy editing and pretty boring choreography. In addition the actual Angels themselves are simply dull and without character. Well that isn't strictly true. The biggest surprise of this? Kristen Stewart was easily the best of the bunch, having more charisma and comic relief moments than the rest of them combined, that I did not expect! A few callbacks to the originals (stay during the credits is all I'll say). The problem as I see it (and I speak as someone who absolutely loves the first two films) this one just isn't fun enough. The original two moved at such a pace and had great support from the likes of Crispin Glover the running time flew by. Here, the plot just sort of unfolds with few character beats or outrageous over the top action we've come to expect.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 9:40 AM, SamSeed said:

So I saw this yesterday. Get ready for the biggest shock everyone.... It ain't great.

Hollywood had a great chance to do an ensemble women's action film, but sounds like it's missed the mark.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:40 AM, SamSeed said:

The biggest surprise of this? Kristen Stewart was easily the best of the bunch, having more charisma and comic relief moments than the rest of them combined, that I did not expect!

Kristen Stewart and her double stood out to me in the trailer, nice to hear this carries on into the full film.

Who plays the main protagonist in this new version?, and would you say they put on a strong or weak performance. From watching the trialer, I didnt get any sense of who they were up really up aganst?. Apart from some faceless looking villains. They had Patrick Stewart among the cast, he's a great actor with a very strong presence. Would love to have watched an over the top performance from him in that kind of role.

• Like 1

As Danny Glover said,(at lease=t, it's how it was translated in French), " I'm too old for this kind of things "...:bs_laughing:

Looking at this trailer made me think that I wouldn't be interested in this movie. I have the two Charlie's angels with Cameron Diaz and Lucy Liu, and I haven't watched them as yet.

For me, Charlie's angels will always be the ones form the 70's series, Kate Jackson being my favorite one.

Maybe these actresses didn't have any martial arts background, but it wasn't obvious in the fight scenes, and the nowadays actresses are too " super heroines " for my taste, and in addition to that, there are too many explosions, guns fights and so on, while the original series had more suspense and not all these kind of things...

For the young members here, I must seem like these old people near 80 years old saying " it was better at my time " !! :bs_laughing:

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 3:26 PM, DragonClaws said:

Who plays the main protagonist in this new version?, and would you say they put on a strong or weak performance. From watching the trialer, I didnt get any sense of who they were up really up aganst?. Apart from some faceless looking villains. They had Patrick Stewart among the cast, he's a great actor with a very strong presence. Would love to have watched an over the top performance from him in that kind of role.

I honestly can't say without it being a huge spoiler, which in itself is I suppose a spoiler!

• Like 2

Cognoscente

I wish they had done something a bit different with it, like make it a dark film that still provides entertainment value. It's really no more better than the TV reboot.

What I would like to see is a remake of So Close, perhaps starring Katherine McNamara and Amy Johnston as sister assassins being chased by a policewoman played by Courtney Hope.

• Like 2