Wu Assassin's: Iko Uwais, JuJu Chan, Mark Dacascos, Kathryn Winnick (2019)

DragonClaws

OpiumKungFuCracker

Netflix dropped some clips and trailer comes out tomorrow. Iko uwais is the best action star right now. I'm sure you guys already know that. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

It looks a bit dodgy, plot-wise (and special effects-wise) but it certainly seems to have some nice action. I'll be watching.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Looks good to me, Netlfix don't spend that much on some of these show's. In fact, I noticed a dip in production values when they accquirred Viking's.

• Like 1

Looks decent,not usually my thing with the special effects and the supernatural vibe but will give it a go👍

• Like 2

Yeah at first I was like I don’t know, it seemed to have the cheesy Hollywood stuff cranked up, but overall I’m quite excited to see this series. I love Chinatown set crime stuff and hopefully there’ll be a restaurant fight since Iko’s character is a chef!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I thought it was a movie? It's a show? I'm even more excited now, hell yeah

Even better two of the series' directors are Stephen Fung and Roel Reine. Fung directed the first two episodes. Toa Fraser and even co-star Katheryn Winnick directed episodes.

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/stephen-fung-directs-netflixs-wu-assassins/

MV5BNTRkZTJkMjMtOGRlMi00OWZlLWI4MTctMjU1

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm 2 mins in and its already the greatest show of all time.

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 5

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I'm 2 mins in and its already the greatest show of all time.

Well, that's certainly a good sign!

31 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Well, that's certainly a good sign!

I watched the 1st episode before work this morning and my only gripe was "why was Kai chosen as the Wu Assassin", it wasn't explained (but I'm sure it will be in later episodes) and went pretty quickly. However, altogether it is a good pilot episode. Katheryn Winnick has a cool one-liner against a fellow cop and I love Lewis Tan's somewhat cocky Lu Xin Lee, who lives like a king but doesn't really work as Kai tells him. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the season :D Stephen Fung directed the first episode and was executive producer.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk

I think I’m comfortable saying that, without the fights, this show would be...bad? If Netflix is talking about cutting budgets when it comes to their shows, it feels like they started here. The whole thing feels very late 90’s.

But I’m only one episode in. Beyond the awful special effects and questionable acting choices, there’s a neat little martial arts show here. The choreography isn’t quite as crisp as I’ve come to expect from Uwais. But this is a tv show and not a movie.

Do I like it? Sure. It’s harmless fun. I’m definitely sticking with it. I just think I’m looking at it through the lenses of my expectation. I was hoping for something grittier. But it’s certainly enjoyable.

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm about one episode in. It's the best worst show of all time.  Also there's not much fight scenes it being a show starring IKO UWAIS?????? HELLO???

• Like 2

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think I’m comfortable saying that, without the fights, this show would be...bad? If Netflix is talking about cutting budgets when it comes to their shows, it feels like they started here. The whole thing feels very late 90’s.

Netflix will be saving their money for productions like The Irishmen, with its 140 million dollar budget.

I've watched up to episode 7 and there are some nice twists and turns throughout so far. Yes there are times when the series does feel dragged but it's understandable because it helps with the overall story. I do like the backstory of Alec McCallough in episode 5...had a bit of a Highlander vibe to it.  Going to watch the final three sometime today. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I finished episode 5 last night. The show doesn't get any better. By that I mean it's very poorly made. However, the fight scenes do kind of save it...to a degree. Just when I think the show's too bad to keep watching, Iko will beat the shit out of someone and I'm back on board.
However, I feel Iko is the only good fighter in the show. Juju Chan hasn't looked good and Katheryn Winnick's (or her stunt double's) fights has been pretty lackluster too. i'm hoping there are a few more memorable scuffled before the show ends. I want to see Lewis Tan fight as he's been criminally underused so far.

So, the show's bad. Objectively. But it's an easy watch. It's not offensively bad. And that's its saving grace.

Bu there's no way this is getting a season 2.

• Like 2

I watched the whole series over 3 days. True that the special effects are cheesy and 90s style but until episode 6, I was having fun. Then it started going downhill......Last 2 episodes, specially the last one,  left me totally dumbfounded.....Like WTF was that crap???? As Drunken Monk said, no way this is getting a season 2.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 8/13/2019 at 7:55 PM, bigrogie said:

I watched the whole series over 3 days. True that the special effects are cheesy and 90s style but until episode 6, I was having fun. Then it started going downhill......Last 2 episodes, specially the last one,  left me totally dumbfounded.....Like WTF was that crap???? As Drunken Monk said, no way this is getting a season 2.

Yes, bringing in the old white dude was a mistake. Like they're trying to check all the boxes. Plus the blond cop is kind of silly as well. A shame, great start!

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I’m eight episodes in and you know what? If I relax a little bit and stop myself from being so uptight, this is a fun little show. It’s not high class drama or thematically deep but it is very enjoyable.

I do wish there was more action but they seem to do their best and try and squeeze one fight scene in per episode. Even if it is a weird racist diner fight.

But yeah, it’s fun. And if they do get a second season, they could take their criticism well and really make this one to watch.

• Like 2