Wu Assassin's: Iko Uwais, JuJu Chan, Mark Dacascos, Kathryn Winnick (2019)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Following is from Film Combat Syndicate

Link- http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2018/06/wu-assassins-iko-uwais-is-ready-to.html

It's another Uwais headliner with 10 episodes to its order Byron Mann (Altered Carbon) co-starring. The show is set in San Francisco’s Chinatown and is described as a martial arts crime series with supernatural elements. According to the trades including Deadline on Friday, it has Uwais playing the role of Kai Jin, who becomes the latest and last Wu Assassin chosen to round up the powers of an ancient triad and restore balance once again. Mann, who currently appears in Altered Carbon, makes his return to the streaming service on the new show this time around as Uncle Six.

Uwais co-stars alongside Mark Wahlberg, in Mile 22

mile-22-2.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

The title: Wu Assassins (is the "wu" short for wushu or wuxia) + the synopsis: "The show is set in San Francisco's Chinatown and is described as a martial arts crime series with supernatural elements" = lots of wire work, I feel.

Maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, I was interested in this until reading the synopsis. Just never been a fan of the MA/supernatural mashup movies. With the exception of Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind, I've always found they always come across as lame and idiotic. But that's me.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, I was interested in this until reading the synopsis. Just never been a fan of the MA/supernatural mashup movies. With the exception of Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind, I've always found they always come across as lame and idiotic. But that's me.

Remember getting excited about the Medallion(2003), when it was announced as Jackie Chan's take on an old T.V show called Randall & Hopkirk. With Chan playing the role of the deceased cop who comes back to help his partner. Thought this was a good chance for Chan to be creatvie with the help of CGI and wires, to overcome any age contrainsts, he had at the time. Plus I was a fan of Lee Evan's,who used t put on a very physical stage show at the time. Add Caire Forlani nto the mix and I was sold. Only it turned out to be really bad, boy was that a dud.

• Like 2

Why I'm so hesitant with TV shows is that they have lots of episodes to cover and thus, lots of screentime. Unless there's only one fight every 3 episodes or so, there will be lots of fights to shoot.

Do you have time to give every fight proper time for choreography? Preparation?

Not really... bummer

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
27 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Why I'm so hesitant with TV shows is that they have lots of episodes to cover and thus, lots of screentime. Unless there's only one fight every 3 episodes or so, there will be lots of fights to shoot.

Do you have time to give every fight proper time for choreography? Preparation?

Not really... bummer

Well, Into the Badlands and Netflix's own Daredevil are prime examples of how good solid fight choreography can be accomplished for an episodic series. If the choreography is staged/rehearsed during preproduction with a choreographer and stunt team worth their salt, then it shouldn't be an issue. Some eps will have short bouts of action, others will have longer set pieces. So it can be done tastefully and done well at that. I'm not sweating that so much, especially as Iko is hands on with the fight sequences because he obviously knows his craft. My qualm is the thematic tone of the series which I'm afraid, while surely having some grounded choreography, will have more of a wuxia feel. For me, that would be a huge turnoff.

Edited by ShaOW!linDude
  • Like 2

Had no idea this was a thing, what brilliant news! Iko deserves every opportunity thrown at him, and the idea of him and Dacascos having a throwdown is thrilling! It;s about time we had another decent martial arts series, I'm in the camp who loved every minute of Martial Law, I thought the cast had good chemistry and the fights, considering how many there were, were at least always edited coherently and of course with Sammo it was pretty difficult to go wrong! So I am absolutely ready for an Iko starring series!

• Like 2

Roel Reine is directing an episode of the series as well. At least he won't have Marvel breathing down his neck like they did with Inhumans.

• Like 1

Cant wait for this hope it is good though. I mean if this is on par with Monkey Twins, this might be the best year for me as far as series. It is funny how just one episode is better then most movies choreography wise in these series.

Edited by slinky#1
  • Like 2

Li Jun Li (The Exorcist and Quantico TV series) has been added to the cast of Wu Assassins.  "Li will play Jenny Wah, who on the surface, is a confident young businesswoman with an MBA.  Scratch the surface, the noisy wheels of ambition crank a darker nature, and the need to overcompensate."  From https://deadline.com/2019/01/wu-assassins-li-jun-li-cast-netflix-martial-arts-series-1202535542/ 

Li Jun Li Picture

• Like 2

DragonClaws

I forgot about posting this up-date here, but it did get mentioned in the Women of Martial Arts Cinema & TV thread.

In the series, she will play Christine “C.G.” Gavin, an undercover cop who gets caught up in a gang war. The show is a mixture of Martial arts, with some supernatural elements. But while the supernatural part might be new to Winnick, the martial arts certainly isn’t, since she holds a 3rd Dan black-belt in taekwondo, and a 2nd Dan black-belt in karate. Born in Toronto, Canada in 1977, she began training in martial arts at age seven and had her first Black Belt at thirteen. By twenty-one she had founded and owned three martial arts schools.

Link- https://www.martialtribes.com/wu-assassins-katheryn-winnick-martial-arts/

Miss Winnick, as the no-nonsense Lagertha, in a scene from the hit series Vikings.

Lagertha-MGM-1080x493.png

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1