Discovery

ShawAngela

When trying to explain the plot of Flag of iron to a friend without spoing it too much, I realized that the plot of this movie is exactly the same as the one of The duel, with a righteous clan's chief killed by a famous killer (David Chiang in The duel, and Lung Tien San (if I remember well) in Flag of iron) , a righteous member of the clan who is more or less expelled of the clan (and this is supposed to be done in order to protect him from killers) (Kuo Chui and Ti Lung), a righteous and loyal friend to this latter (Chen Hong Yip and Chiang Sheng), several attempts to kill the righteous guy and a bloody revenge from the righteous guy, helped by the killer, who has realized that he had been cheated and had killed the wrong person....

After having watched both movies at least 3 or 4 times, it was time that I realize this !!!:bs_coveredlaugh:🤣

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed both films immensely. The Flag of Iron (1980) being a recycling of the plot of The Duel (1971) , but set in a different era and given a distinctly Venoms flavour.

Below is a link to an article written by Kim August, which sheds further light on the connection between these two films :

http://shawbrothersuniverse.com/ramblers/

Personally, The Flag of Iron (1980) ranks as my favourite Venoms film. The costuming alone is a standout, but by no means the defining factor. For The Duel (1971), the graphic nature of close-up knife fighting had always been something I was wary of viewing. Sometimes things can just get too visceral, too close to reality. But this film changed my mind. Yes, there were lashings of gore, but the context of its presentation meant it worked for me. The carnage did not overwhelm the story. A tribute to the skill of director Chang Cheh. 

1 hour ago, AgriWuxia said:

Below is a link to an article written by Kim August

She used to post here as Lady Jin.

I surely missed her wonderful & informative posts.

I never noticed that it was a remake until I watched again for a second time years ago. Funny how parallel the two plots are. Both are amazing films!

Tiger Style

Yeah me too, I only picked up on it a few years back on second viewing. The Duel is still one of my all time fave Shaw Movies.

Archived