Morbius (2022) - Jared Leto, Matt Smith, Adria Arjona

AlbertV

@ShaOW!linDude Cant possibly think theyd still use the poorly received Morbius with one of the most popular superhero holland Spiderman can you? 

You liked this better than batman? Be interesting to hear you speak more on that.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
26 minutes ago, Koravec said:

You liked this better than batman? Be interesting to hear you speak more on that.

Me too. I haven't see Morbius yet but from what I've heard, this is a pretty wild statement!

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
On 6/2/2022 at 10:39 AM, Koravec said:

@ShaOW!linDude Cant possibly think theyd still use the poorly received Morbius with one of the most popular superhero holland Spiderman can you? 

On 6/2/2022 at 11:07 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Me too. I haven't see Morbius yet but from what I've heard, this is a pretty wild statement!

There were elements of the new Batman that I liked, specifically that they zeroed in on him as a detective. But the fight action was sub-par for me. Once again, the Bat suit is loaded with bulky body armor, and the fight scenes were clunky. And what was up with the gauntlets? I didn't care for the new rendition of the Riddler either. I liked the plot, but the run time could've been trimmed by almost 30 minutes because I found aspects of the pacing to drag. I did like Pattinson as Batman. I think he was a smart choice.

What gripes me most is the reliance on bulky armor for his suit. It limits his range of motion, and Bats is a fighter. Trim the suit to something akin to that of the Daredevil Netflix show and find a better choreographer. Batfleck is the best onscreen depiction of Bats as a fighter as far as I'm concerned. That's the one to beat.

But the greatest faux paus, and I'm being a bit facetious here, was that the hem of his cape was straight rather than shaped like a bat's wing.:thinking I mean...come on now! 

Maybe I need to sit through it again. 

For me, Morbius wasn't a great movie, but it was fairly faithful to the character in a lot of regards. It was a tighter story, and moved along at a good clip. But even with that, the depiction of the action was sub-par. And he didn't have a fitting antagonist. 

Regardless, that's just me. I'm an old school comics guy. I love that these characters are able to get proper big screen treatments these days, but certain liberties don't always need to be taken. A lot of the original aspects would work if they just employed them. The characters are escapist fantasy. Rationalized depictions (bulky body armor and Frankenstein boots) kind of take me out of it. But like I said...that's just me.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
45 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

There were elements of the new Batman that I liked, specifically that they zeroed in on him as a detective. But the fight action was sub-par for me. Once again, the Bat suit is loaded with bulky body armor, and the fight scenes were clunky. And what was up with the gauntlets? I didn't care for the new rendition of the Riddler either. I liked the plot, but the run time could've been trimmed by almost 30 minutes because I found aspects of the pacing to drag. I did like Pattinson as Batman. I think he was a smart choice.

What gripes me most is the reliance on bulky armor for his suit. It limits his range of motion, and Bats is a fighter. Trim the suit to something akin to that of the Daredevil Netflix show and find a better choreographer. Batfleck is the best onscreen depiction of Bats as a fighter as far as I'm concerned. That's the one to beat.

But the greatest faux paus, and I'm being a bit facetious here, was that the hem of his cape was straight rather than shaped like a bat's wing.:thinking I mean...come on now! 

Maybe I need to sit through it again. 

For me, Morbius wasn't a great movie, but it was fairly faithful to the character in a lot of regards. It was a tighter story, and moved along at a good clip. But even with that, the depiction of the action was sub-par. And he didn't have a fitting antagonist. 

Regardless, that's just me. I'm an old school comics guy. I love that these characters are able to get proper big screen treatments these days, but certain liberties don't always need to be taken. A lot of the original aspects would work if they just employed them. The characters are escapist fantasy. Rationalized depictions (bulky body armor and Frankenstein boots) kind of take me out of it. But like I said...that's just me.

Personally, I loved the suit because it fit into the plot. This is Bruce Wayne's second year as Batman. To me, that means he's still insecure and hasn't quite worked out the iconic look he will later have. He's protecting himself a lot rather than relying on just his fighting skills. It may be that he learns more martial arts down the road and doesn't remain a "slugger."

I like that he's not fully developed. I like the scrappy feel to the fights. It all adds up for me. He's new. It's just like when he uses the glider suit, he takes a tumble. Nothing's polished. Nothing's refined.

I understand he might not be the Batman people want him to be or the Batman we're familiar with but to me, he's a breath of fresh air.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
On 6/3/2022 at 2:08 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I understand he might not be the Batman people want him to be or the Batman we're familiar with but to me, he's a breath of fresh air.

I don't begrudge you that.

• Like 2

So - why is this movie the laughingstock of the internet?  I was expecting a so-bad-it's-good train wreck.  It's just an average to mediocre super hero flick.  I really don't see where the intense feelings are coming from.  Sure, there's a few sloppy moments (mispronouncing Nobel Prize), a semi-literal out-of-nowhere sequel hook.  But it's got some solid bullet time action scenes (better than the recent legit Matrix sequel, somehow), a charismatic villain in Matt Smith (who hasn't aged a day since he left Doctor Who nine years ago).  It's not an "absolutely everything is wrong" Batman v Superman type experience, it's not overloaded with forced humor like a lesser MCU movie.  It's just... fine?  I'd even put it above some of Marvel's recent offerings - Black Widow, Eternals.  I really don't get the mother of a million memes "worst ever" reputation it has garnered.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk
19 hours ago, starschwar said:

So - why is this movie the laughingstock of the internet?  I was expecting a so-bad-it's-good train wreck.  It's just an average to mediocre super hero flick.  I really don't see where the intense feelings are coming from.  Sure, there's a few sloppy moments (mispronouncing Nobel Prize), a semi-literal out-of-nowhere sequel hook.  But it's got some solid bullet time action scenes (better than the recent legit Matrix sequel, somehow), a charismatic villain in Matt Smith (who hasn't aged a day since he left Doctor Who nine years ago).  It's not an "absolutely everything is wrong" Batman v Superman type experience, it's not overloaded with forced humor like a lesser MCU movie.  It's just... fine?  I'd even put it above some of Marvel's recent offerings - Black Widow, Eternals.  I really don't get the mother of a million memes "worst ever" reputation it has garnered.

While I don't agree with you on all your points (I wouldn't put it above either Eternals or Black Widow), I think you're EXACTLY right on most things you say. Morbius is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. Not even remotely. I found it to be a rather enjoyable, if flawed, superhero film. I just don't understand the vitriol at all.

• Like 1

Bit boring but not bad. I have spent 104 minutes with far worse movies. Not much action but what there was, quite good. I guess need to see sequel if/as they bring vulture into it as post credit sequence suggests.coolest part was when thugs at lab were watching kung fu movie.