Golden Harvest Titles coming to Blu-Ray!

saltysam

88 have said they'll be announcing 4 titles soon and they'll be international premieres and titles we wouldn't guess.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
10 minutes ago, saltysam said:

88 have said they'll be announcing 4 titles soon and they'll be international premieres and titles we wouldn't guess.

Thats just too much of a tease.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Thats just too much of a tease.

As you say !! And I hope that this time, they'll be able to send outside of the UK !!

I'm toooooo impatient to know the titles !

I hope it's not Jackie Chan stuff or Bruce Lee stuff…. those have been released on blu ray many times.

Sammo Hung stuff on blu ray would be great…. most of his movies aren't on blu ray.

Warriors Two, The Prodigal Son, Iron Fisted Monk, Knockabout… etc.

Prodigal Son actually got a blu ray release but it's a joke…. I think my Fox dvd looks better than this.

If someone gives Shaolin Plot the decent release that it deserves then I'll die a happy man.

Someone else mentioned Dragon Tamers, good shout too.

Maybe Angela Mao's movies, or some Chang Yi's movies such as Bandits from Shantung, or Manchu boxer, or Tiger from Northland ?

There are so many movies worth to be upgraded !

Can see Hand Of Death being one of them,as well as Odd Couple.Probably Man From Hong Kong as well, as that's already got a emastered release in Oz.

I’ve already said this but unless 88 is going to start releasing upscales, then the only titles they have are those on either the 4 or 2k list as seen in the trailers. And, I wouldn’t think that they could infringe on the deal between Eureka and FS. So, either FS has remastered other titles they haven’t announced yet or they will be releasing Eureka’s scraps. 

On 8/4/2018 at 11:48 PM, saltysam said:

Can see Hand Of Death being one of them,as well as Odd Couple.Probably Man From Hong Kong as well, as that's already got a emastered release in Oz.

GH never had the rights to Odd Couple, from memory. Mei Ah did/do.

14 hours ago, reason108 said:

I’ve already said this but unless 88 is going to start releasing upscales, then the only titles they have are those on either the 4 or 2k list as seen in the trailers. And, I wouldn’t think that they could infringe on the deal between Eureka and FS. So, either FS has remastered other titles they haven’t announced yet or they will be releasing Eureka’s scraps. 

the comment "it's titles you wouldn't guess" surely means it's not titles from that trailer reel, which are all well known. would hope 88 wouldn't advertise upscales as 2k restorations either

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, RedPhoenix said:

If someone gives Shaolin Plot the decent release that it deserves then I'll die a happy man.

Someone else mentioned Dragon Tamers, good shout too.

There's a great remastered version of The Shaolin Plot by Shout Factory…. it came out 3 years ago I belive.

Killer Meteor

The recent re-issue of When Taekwondo Strikes also looks far better then its earlier DVD. Sadly badly remixed, as is Shaolin Plot.

5 hours ago, kevenzz said:

There's a great remastered version of The Shaolin Plot by Shout Factory…. it came out 3 years ago I belive.

Interesting, many thanks Kevenzz. I'll try and track it down and continue to keep my fingers crossed for a HD release one day :)

On 8/7/2018 at 1:48 PM, saltysam said:

the comment "it's titles you wouldn't guess" surely means it's not titles from that trailer reel, which are all well known. would hope 88 wouldn't advertise upscales as 2k restorations either

Don’t forget that it was FS that passed off some dubious masters to Shout Factory for their BL Legacy Collection a few years back that ended up in a re-pressing. Just saying! If 88 were in a hurry to cash in on Eureka’s success, then it’s possible that mistakes could be made. I’m just concerned that since people are beginning to expect true 2 and 4K masters from FS, that they could slip in some “upscales” if they have limited titles remastered. I just don’t believe yet that they have turned over a new leaf. Just odd that FS are just sitting on some more true HD masters without announcing it like they did with the other titles. IDK, but, can’t wait to find out! 

On 8/9/2018 at 10:34 AM, RedPhoenix said:

Interesting, many thanks Kevenzz. I'll try and track it down and continue to keep my fingers crossed for a HD release one day :)

Pretty sure that was only Dvd. But, was it a 2k master?

4 hours ago, reason108 said:

Pretty sure that was only Dvd. But, was it a 2k master?

I'm assuming the release Kevenzz mentioned is in the 4-DVD set called 'Martial Arts Movie Marathon - Volume 2'. I found a copy and have got it on order now, so I'll know soon. I normally stay well clear of these types of box sets as packaging is cheap and transfers normally very dubious, however, for Shaolin Plot I shall make an exception, especially as many have vouched for the quality of the transfer of this release! :)

They've now given a clue via a tweet from Calum Waddell... 3 of the titles are Jackie Chan movies...Ricky Baker doing interviews for them.

Drunken Monk
11 minutes ago, saltysam said:

They've now given a clue via a tweet from Calum Waddell... 3 of the titles are Jackie Chan movies...Ricky Baker doing interviews for them.

This could be a good thing. With Eureka! releasing the Police Story and Project A films, it might mean we get some rare released films. Wheels on Meals perhaps?

There are already so many Jackie Chan's releases of his old movies, they could have chosen something else...

10 hours ago, saltysam said:

Could be Shaolin Wooden Men & Dragon Fist, which are apparently restored in 2k. i'd go for them.

That would be my guess. Those old JC titles have been sitting around remastered for a few years now. I am interested in a few of them. But, unless there’s something revolutionary announced, then Eureka will be getting the bulk of my spending money. I just don’t want to see 88 getting the titles that I know Eureka will do a better job at releasing. 

10 hours ago, saltysam said:

Could be Shaolin Wooden Men & Dragon Fist, which are apparently restored in 2k. i'd go for them.

20 minutes ago, reason108 said:

That would be my guess. Those old JC titles have been sitting around remastered for a few years now. I am interested in a few of them. But, unless there’s something revolutionary announced, then Eureka will be getting the bulk of my spending money. I just don’t want to see 88 getting the titles that I know Eureka will do a better job at releasing. 

Ricky Baker made a post on Twitter, back in early 2017, about Shaolin Wooden Men getting a new restoration.

Cick on the link below, for the full thread on this topic.

l

Considering the crappy releases down the years of the early Jackie Lo Wei movies i'll bite 88's hand off for a simple HD restoration with decent subs. At this point in my life (54) i don't have enough time to watch movies let alone extras, so i'll take what i can get. I've no issues with 88, they are a two man band and do good work imo.

Archived