Golden Harvest Titles coming to Blu-Ray!

saltysam

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU
2 hours ago, saltysam said:

According to a post on bluray.com from Calum Waddell, who works for 88 films, there's some Golden Harvest classics coming to blu ray later in the year with new 2k scans 😀

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15214354&postcount=12297

Please tell me it's not any Jackie Chan stuff, but other rarities......

TheKungFuRobber

Uh huh, what are the movies?

If Pedicab Driver and some of the later GH movies are being released I'm down for it, because it seems that almost every GH movie from 1970 right up until 1992 (when Warners and New Line started buying out a lot of their stuff) has been released in some kind of remastered format by Fortune Star although many blu rays are upscaled from older non 1080p transfers which upset a lot of people.

EDIT: I just read somewhere in the forum post about that the films in question are "Golden Harvest kung fu greats" so it could be that some of their 80's and 70's stuff could see proper HD releases. It would be good to get some classics such as Iron Fisted Monk, Encounters of a Spooky Kind, The Prodigal Son, Knockabout and Where's Officer Tuba on Blu Ray in HD as a fan of Sammo Hung's movies.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Some of those oldies could look a lot better, plus there are ones like Young Dragons, The Dragon Tamer and many others that are meh in terms of quality and subs. The Dragon Tamers Subs are terrible, as are Angry River and many others. But I hear, Pedicab Driver is a classic, puts the modern spin on a basher for the best of both worlds, except the pessimistic ending. I would just have him leave town. Those guys needed killing. Period. 

TheKungFuRobber

The Skyhawk, The Dragon Tamers and some of the Lo Wei Jackie Chan flicks (I think they were owned by GH later on) were pretty disappointing in terms of picture quality on the Fortune Star prints. Snake and Crane Arts was pretty washed out and the hue was totally wrong, skintones are totally off point and the print is riddled with DNR and artificial sharpening artifacts. Magnificent Bodyguards had horribly contrast resulting in crushed blacks where in some very long scenes I had to physically squat my eyes to see shit and the image was softer than a eunuch in a cathouse.

I want them to redo the classics  (not Jackie) on blu-ray. I want The Skyhawk and Dragon Tamers redone because they look like shit on the Shout version. They need to redo it. 

Could be interesting. Glad to see something getting done with the catalogue.

Keeping my fingers crossed for One Armed Boxer, Beach of the War Gods, Lady Whirlwind and Hapkido....

DragonClaws

Great news, it would be cool to see a mix of both the more common and rarer titles. As a long term fan, its easy to forget that not everyone has been exposed to multiple release of the same titles. Especially if you are new to the genre, or maybe taking a gamble by buying a JC film for first time.

Honestly, I think all of you are overreacting.😀 I could be wrong but unless other titles have been given the 2k mastered treatment, probably the only titles we will be seeing are those in the Fortune Star promotional trailer. I would love to be proven wrong! Hell, Pedicab Driver is owned by Warner Brothers, so, that won’t be on their list unless they made a deal with them.

46 minutes ago, reason108 said:

Honestly, I think all of you are overreacting.😀 I could be wrong but unless other titles have been given the 2k mastered treatment, probably the only titles we will be seeing are those in the Fortune Star promotional trailer. I would love to be proven wrong! Hell, Pedicab Driver is owned by Warner Brothers, so, that won’t be on their list unless they made a deal with them.

If that's true, I'll wager that the likelihood of more titles getting a 2k/4k mastering depends on how well these do, once released.

the new 2K remastered Fortune Star titles appear to have gone to Eureka in the UK,unless they are licensing them to different distributors.

11 minutes ago, saltysam said:

appear to have gone to Eureka

Talking about Eureka, I had seen their blu ray release of Iron Monkey available for preorder on zavvi a few weeks ago, but when I tried to preorder it a few days ago, this titles has totally disappeared from zavvi's site.

Does anyone know what happened ?

Also, did anyone already directly ordered form Eureka ?

On 6/27/2018 at 10:07 PM, Asmo said:

If that's true, I'll wager that the likelihood of more titles getting a 2k/4k mastering depends on how well these do, once released.

Yeah, that really is the point. Pretty sure that Iron Monkey and Police Story box set will do really well. Hoping Eureka give us Once Upon A Time and Project A too. I guess that 88 could get some of those other titles that have already been converted to 2k/4k (as seen in the video/except the titles that have already been released like Armour of God or Riki-Oh. 88 might be a good place for some of those other Golden Harvest titles like Iron Fisted Monk or Prodigal Son. But, are they popular enough for Eureka?

On 6/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, saltysam said:

the new 2K remastered Fortune Star titles appear to have gone to Eureka in the UK,unless they are licensing them to different distributors.

Are they getting all of them or just the more popular titles? Or, are there other titles that have received the 2k treatment that we are not aware of yet? Either way, hoping for a good future for true HD masters. But, we still need those mono audio tracks to be included. My only problem with 88 is that they would probably only go as far as releasing what Fortune Star give them. Not sure that I could trust them with giving it the Eureka effort.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:21 PM, ShawAngela said:

Talking about Eureka, I had seen their blu ray release of Iron Monkey available for preorder on zavvi a few weeks ago, but when I tried to preorder it a few days ago, this titles has totally disappeared from zavvi's site.

Does anyone know what happened ?

Also, did anyone already directly ordered form Eureka ?

I just ordered mine from Amazon and all was well. I don't believe that I have ever ordered from Eureka`s website directly. Would there be any benefit from doing so? Plus, I have always heard mixed reviews of Zavvi. Have never ordered from them. I would be a little nervous to try. But, perhaps those fears are unfounded, idk. 

ShawAngela
24 minutes ago, reason108 said:

Zavvi. Have never ordered from them.

I already placed at least two orders from them in the past (all the episodes of Monk, and all the episodes of The avengers, including the unfinished ones from the first season) and everything worked well.

The Spooky Encounters & Mr Vampire movies would fit into 88's catalogue perfectly.

16 hours ago, saltysam said:

The Spooky Encounters & Mr Vampire movies would fit into 88's catalogue perfectly.

They certainly would!

The master used for Iron Monkey was stunning. So, I would love to see more remasters from the company that did those. I would hope that 88 would verify that they are getting mono tracks and not mixdowns or remixes. 

I would love nothing more than to repurchase my entire Golden Harvest catalogue titles in true HD (either 2 or 4K mastered).

11 hours ago, reason108 said:

They certainly would!

The master used for Iron Monkey was stunning. So, I would love to see more remasters from the company that did those. I would hope that 88 would verify that they are getting mono tracks and not mixdowns or remixes. 

I would love nothing more than to repurchase my entire Golden Harvest catalogue titles in true HD (either 2 or 4K mastered).

Unless i am mistaken i don't think the 2K restoration of Iron Monkey was on that FS trailer reel. First i knew about it was when Eureka announced it. Hopefully there's a few more gems we don't know about receiving 2k remasters. And yes,,88 needs to get the original mono tracks on there. I;m hoping for Magnificent Butcher & Prodigal Son.

DragonClaws
22 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Unless i am mistaken i don't think the 2K restoration of Iron Monkey was on that FS trailer reel. First i knew about it was when Eureka announced it. Hopefully there's a few more gems we don't know about receiving 2k remasters.

I hope you are right about this @saltysam.

Did the 4K restoration of Made in Hong Kong appear in the Fortune Star show-reel?, or are do the rights belong to anohter company?.

KenHashibe
4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Did the 4K restoration of Made in Hong Kong appear in the Fortune Star show-reel?, or are do the rights belong to anohter company?.

I believe Made in Hong Kong belongs to another company.

Looking forward to hearing more news about Golden Harvest films coming out on Blu-ray.

Chemical Lemon
6 hours ago, saltysam said:

Unless i am mistaken i don't think the 2K restoration of Iron Monkey was on that FS trailer reel. First i knew about it was when Eureka announced it. Hopefully there's a few more gems we don't know about receiving 2k remasters. And yes,,88 needs to get the original mono tracks on there. I;m hoping for Magnificent Butcher & Prodigal Son.

Unfortunately it was on the most recent restoration reel (from at least early April 2018).  Iron Monkey and Black Mask were not on the 2017 reel though along with most of the Jackies, so they are at least making slow progress on the catalog.  I am a much bigger sammo fan than Jackie, Bruce, or Jet.  So I am sad that his movies are mostly ignored here (He is in a bunch of the 2K jackies though).  I suspect there won't be any surprises in 88s choices but I hope that I'm wrong.

2KRemastered.png

Humanfishboy

Doubt there will be anything from the showreel... well maybe 1 title, but the rest should be more obscure stuff that other labels might pass on or be too risky so should be a surprise and 88 will include the original Mandarin or Cantonese or in some cases both! Plus the original English dub. Pretty sure we can trust 88 to give these the "eureka effort" and original art on the reverse sleeve hopefully. Iron monkeys booklet cover would have been a cool reverse sleeve. Drunken master booklet cover would have been a great reverse sleeve too in my opinion.

Archived