Shaolin Temple 2

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Thirty six years after the original, Shaolin Temple 2 is officially getting made. By none other than Cheung Sing-Yim, the original director. MTime has an article about it, though the translation is a little wonky...

http://news.mtime.com/2018/06/22/1581777.html

No news on Jet Li hopping on board and no news on a lead yet.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws

The original was going to get a 3-D re-make by Justiin Lin, but that appears to be dead in the water.

Now they plan to re-make the sequel?.

71YHPXPYF4L._SY445_.gif

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Thirty six years after the original, Shaolin Temple 2 is officially getting made. By none other than Cheung Sing-Yim, the original director.

I'm down. No wirework please, just more awesome choreography on par with the original.

Drunken Monk
29 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The original was going to get a 3-D re-make by Justiin Lin, but that appears to be dead in the water.

Now they plan to re-make the sequel?.

71YHPXPYF4L._SY445_.gif

I don't think they're considering "Kids from Shaolin" to be a proper sequel. From the sounds of things, they're ignoring it as well as "Martial Arts from Shaolin."

Drunken Monk
6 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I'm down. No wirework please, just more awesome choreography on par with the original.

Keep it in mind that the director also co-directed "Tai Chi II," a legendary wire-fest. Granted, it was mostly a Yuen Woo Ping project but still...

Am excited for this for sure! Was there ever a decent dvd release of the original in region 1? or Region 0? The copy the library had for years had very bad subs that were very hard to read and once they started, they wouldn't click off, even during some of the fights. lol

Having grown up regarding Kids from Shaolin and Martial Arts of Shaolin as parts 2 and 3, the general idea is a bit strange to me. I hope it's set in the Song Dynasty and--I know this won't happen--tries to stick to the actual Shaolin-based styles that would've existed back then, as opposed to Southern Shaolin styles that came about later on.

Drunken Monk
16 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

Am excited for this for sure! Was there ever a decent dvd release of the original in region 1? or Region 0? The copy the library had for years had very bad subs that were very hard to read and once they started, they wouldn't click off, even during some of the fights. lol

The article says the original film was sent to Italy for a 4K remastering. So, we might actually get a decent release at some point.

Drunken Monk
10 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I hope it's set in the Song Dynasty and--I know this won't happen--tries to stick to the actual Shaolin-based styles that would've existed back then, as opposed to Southern Shaolin styles that came about later on.

The film is endorsed by the Shaolin Temple so, if I were to guess, I'd say we're going to get a lot of wushu-like choreography as that is what they promote these days. It would be weird for Shaolin to back the new film and then throw in a bunch of wire-work.

9 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Having grown up regarding Kids from Shaolin and Martial Arts of Shaolin as parts 2 and 3, the general idea is a bit strange to me. I hope it's set in the Song Dynasty and--I know this won't happen--tries to stick to the actual Shaolin-based styles that would've existed back then, as opposed to Southern Shaolin styles that came about later on.

Martial Arts of Shaolin has some of the best fight scenes, especially that long ending sequence, so it is strange they won't consider it part of the series.

ShaOW!linDude
20 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Keep it in mind that the director also co-directed "Tai Chi II," a legendary wire-fest. Granted, it was mostly a Yuen Woo Ping project but still...

I don't remember this movie being a "legendary wire-fest" (not like the OUATIC films), though I do remember it having some wirework in it. Always enjoyed the movie and it's been a while so I'm certainly due for a rewatch. 

19 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I hope it's set in the Song Dynasty and--I know this won't happen--tries to stick to the actual Shaolin-based styles that would've existed back then, as opposed to Southern Shaolin styles that came about later on.

That would be nice.

19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The film is endorsed by the Shaolin Temple so, if I were to guess, I'd say we're going to get a lot of wushu-like choreography as that is what they promote these days.

You're probably right. 

19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

It would be weird for Shaolin to back the new film and then throw in a bunch of wire-work.

You would think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. 

On 6/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, lilmanjs said:

Currently, I think there is only a Blu-ray from Japan. No idea regarding PQ or English subs.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:53 AM, DrNgor said:

I’m afraid it will be a CGI wire-fu crap fest. Without Jet, what is the point? Just a cash-in on the name. But, let’s face it, Jet is not Jet anymore. He could only play a Sifu at this point in time. And, honestly, if they do find a real martial arts actor, it will probably only be state sanctioned Wushu. Sorry, but I don’t see this turning out as an accurate showcase for authentic martial arts. Nor do I believe that they will find another Jet.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:03 AM, Drunken Monk said:

The article says the original film was sent to Italy for a 4K remastering. So, we might actually get a decent release at some point.

I would certainly pick up the original 4K remastered. If it’s being done by Ritrovata then hopefully it will get color corrected properly with original audio.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:06 AM, Drunken Monk said:

The film is endorsed by the Shaolin Temple so, if I were to guess, I'd say we're going to get a lot of wushu-like choreography as that is what they promote these days. It would be weird for Shaolin to back the new film and then throw in a bunch of wire-work.

Well, the Shaolin Temple is just a tourist trap now, anyways. We will be getting Wushu.

Archived