Dolemite is My Name (2019) - Eddie Murphy, Craig Robinson, Mike Epps, Kodi Smit-McPhee

AlbertV

RUDYRAYBANNER002.jpg73418772_cr.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Eddie Murphy is going to play the late Rudy Ray Moore in a new biopic for Netflix entitled Dolemite is My Name

Moore (1927-2008) was the comedian well-known for his raunchy, X-rated stand up that he also infused with rapping and rhythm, earning him the nickname Godfather of Rap. Moore also became popular for his creation of the character Dolemite in his stand-up routines that, after five years of performing as the urban hero, decided to bring him to the big screen with the 1975 movie of the same name. 

The film is co-starring Wesley SnipesMike EppsTitus Burgess, and Da'Vine Joy Randolph

Craig Brewer is directing from a script by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski.

Source: Dark Horizons

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the movie this past weekend and it was surprisingly really good! I learned quite a bit more about Rudy Ray Moore as a result of the film. He started out as a singer followed by a stand-up comic who created the character of Dolemite. The film also revolves around the making of the titular Dolemite film, and the struggle it took to make the film followed by Moore's attempts to find a distributor for the film. A little trivia: Dolemite (1975) cinematographer Nicholas Von Sternberg (played by Kodi Smit-McPhee in the biopic) is the son of German-born legend Josef Von Sternberg and would go on to lens No Retreat, No Surrender II in 1987. 

Eddie Murphy goes back to old school form in the film while adding a touch of the dramatic side of things. Everyone has mentioned this is the film he needed as a "comeback" of sorts and I have to agree that this is one of his best recent films. 

Archived