Goodbye Martial Arts Ilustrated (Magazine)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

This British publication has been around longer than my own interest in the fighting arts. While I don't know the exact date it was launched?, I was sad to hear its recently come to an end. Remember the first issue I ever bought, which featured Royce Gracie on the front, and in depth Chuck Norris interview. It's still hanging in my parents home somewhere, among some other older magazines. While I havent purchased the magazine on a regualr basis for awhile, I always made  a habit of seeing who was on the cover of each new issue. The original publishing company used to distribute MAI, along with Combat and the Impact action movie magazine.

One of the hundreds of issues published since the 1980's.

martial-arts-illustrated-magazine-may-19

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

This British publication has been around longer than my own interest in the fighting arts. While I don't know the exact date it was launched?, I was sad to hear its recently come to an end. Remember the first issue I ever bought, which featured Royce Gracie on the front, and in depth Chuck Norris interview. It's still hanging in my parents home somewhere, among some other older magazines. While I havent purchased the magazine on a regualr basis for awhile, I always made  a habit of seeing who was on the cover of each new issue. The original publishing company used to distribute MAI, along with Combat and the Impact action movie magazine.

One of the hundreds of issues published since the 1980's.

martial-arts-illustrated-magazine-may-19

I used to buy this religiously along with Combat but got so fed up with the amount of advertisiments I stopped,I know they need the advertisements to keep the magazines going but for me it got just to much.Did they state why they have stopped?I know with the impact magazine it was because of the price the printers were charging.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
16 hours ago, sym8 said:

I know with the impact magazine it was because of the price the printers were charging.

They ended up merging Impact magazine into MAI, after Impact stopped running on its own.

I only found out about them not releasing the publication anymore, when I tried to contact one of their writers Andrew Staton.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
7 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

combat, inside kung fu, MA illustrated and impact..were my magazines each month!

Remember Combat, I think that was one of the first to go?. With the exception of inside KF, sure they were all own and put out by the same publisher?. Apart some MMA magazines, is there only BlackBelt magazine thats still active?.

C%202010-04%20Cov.jpg

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
14 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Remember Combat, I think that was one of the first to go?. With the exception of inside KF, sure they were all own and put out by the same publisher?. Apart some MMA magazines, is there only BlackBelt magazine thats still active?.

C%202010-04%20Cov.jpg

my man, i haven't checked out magazines in years, maybe decade. No clue regarding blackbelt.

The jackie/bruce front cover of Combat was loaded with hong kong cinema, brilliant issue. 

• Like 2

Cognoscente

One of these days, someone should translate all the issues of Chinese martial arts magazines and put them together in compilation books. New Martial Hero (新武俠), Martial Magazine (當代武壇) and Kung Fu Magazine (功夫雜誌) were the top three zines.

Besides interviews, they have useful exercises.

__kc_15__1980__1613811070_cacdc7eb_progressive.jpg

_1564923092_f3151023_progressive.jpg

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 6/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, Cognoscente said:

One of these days, someone should translate all the issues of Chinese martial arts magazines and put them together in compilation books. 

Whoever collects all those books will rule the Jianghu! Beware! ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1