Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) - Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Pedro Pascal, Kristin Wiig

AlbertV

I hate to say it but this film is garbage. The plot is an unneeded homage to 80’s cheese which just doesn’t work and, most disappointingly, the action set pieces are a snooze fest.

I like the first one. Quite a bit, actually. But this was so obnoxiously silly and constantly made terrible decisions. Some moments were the very antithesis of Superman learning he can fly in Man of Steel. Things just happen in this film with nary a thought put into why.

I know Justice League is universally hated (I love it), but this film genuinely makes that film look like a masterpiece. Hell, I’d take Suicide Squad over Wonder Woman 1984.

• Like 3

I enjoyed it, in spite of its flaws.  It reminded me a bit of Amazing Spider-Man 2 by cramming too much into the film, including multiple villains.  However, I thought WW84 pulled it off much better.  The scenes with her and Chris Pine are very good.  Pedro Pascal is sort of a goofy OTT bad guy.  Imagine a more dramatic 80s version of Bruce Almighty (I.e. granting wishes vs prayers) and there ya go. 

Patty Jenkins needed to trim 20 minutes or so off the movie, but honestly I’m not sure where it could have happened, which is the consequence of having so much in there I guess. Two villains, more Diana backstory, the Chris Pine subplot, the powers/flying subplot...it’s a lot.  But again, I found enough to enjoy that it was okay for me.

The mid-credit scene is really great too.

• Like 4

I'd rate the original Wonder Woman a solid 8.510, and WW 1984, a 6/10

I was expecting to hear a tons of 80s songs in this film, I mean they used a very cool remake version of New Order - Blue Monday in the trailer, one of my favorite 80s songs, but I didn't hear any classic 80s songs!

The overall silliness of the film, not so great CGI in some scenes, and the unexplainable things happening without much question, just didn't work well for me. Like I read on Facebook by someone, "I'm glad I didn't have to pay to see this", but I'm still glad I did.

I did enjoy the intro and end credit scenes.

• Like 2

Seems to be a very polarizing movie. But as long as it doesn't have any heavy-handed political message, I'll probably still like it. I've enjoyed every DCU movie so far(I haven't seen "Shazam" yet for some reason.), including "Batman V Superman", "Justice League", and "Suicide Squad". Being a huge fan of DC, I guess I'm way more forgiving of their short-comings. lol

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

I don't think the movie is bad, but it didn't live up to the hype. It was just very meh. There is a severe lack of good action, and WW pulled more rope tricks with her golden lasso than a cowboy in a rodeo. It just gets old after a while. For me the biggest disappointment was the finale. That was a very, very lame end fight, and the CGI of Cheetah really needed some attention to detail. I also feel the over-focus on Maxwell Lord as the key villain was the wrong way to go. The film starts off great, but then the invisible plane just sort of takes a nosedive.

My #1 gripe: It's WW '84. How was the soundtrack lacking anything from Van Halen's album 1984? What the...? Come on, people! The pandemic delayed this release for 6 months during which time Eddie Van Halen passed away. That's a lot of time to rectify this oversight. I'm looking at you, Patty Jenkins.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

That's a lot of time to rectify this oversight. I'm looking at you, Patty Jenkins.

Let's hope she will make it up for the 3rd film, which has already gotten the greenlight and is on the fasttrack.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/wonder-woman-3-gal-gadot-patty-jenkins-1234875194/ 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Let's hope she will make it up for the 3rd film, which has already gotten the greenlight and is on the fasttrack.

To you DC fans out there: who could be the likely villains for a third WW film?

• Like 2

Watched this yesterday, it was ok, nowhere near as bad as some reviews were making out but certainly not a classic. Way overlong, the first 80 minutes or so crawled along, and for a film to put 1984 in it's title this made very little use of it's time period. I did hear Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome To The Pleasure Dome which with being a scouser i enjoyed. The villains were weak, Chris Pine looked bored like he didn't want to be there. Fan service nod in the post credits scene. A 5/10 from me.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
20 hours ago, saltysam said:

Watched this yesterday, it was ok, nowhere near as bad as some reviews were making out but certainly not a classic. Way overlong, the first 80 minutes or so crawled along, and for a film to put 1984 in it's title this made very little use of it's time period. I did hear Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome To The Pleasure Dome which with being a scouser i enjoyed. The villains were weak, Chris Pine looked bored like he didn't want to be there. Fan service nod in the post credits scene. A 5/10 from me.

Just watched it at the Showcase on the E. Lancs Rd. It was quite good but the opening stuff with WW as a child was done in the first film - so that could easily have been chopped. The story was all over the place to try and fit the macguffin into it. I easily pleased when it comes to Gal Gadot and it was nice to see the surprise in the post credits.

Edited by shukocarl1441996347
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Just watched it at the Showcase on the E. Lancs Rd.

Snap! watched it there in screen 12 on Monday. Small world!

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
On 12/29/2020 at 10:22 AM, DrNgor said:

Possibly the Silver Swan. Or Circe. Or knowing the current trend of having multiple villains per film, both.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Possibly the Silver Swan. Or Circe. Or knowing the current trend of having multiple villains per film, both.

I prefer when they focus on a single villain. WW84 should have focused on Cheetah and left out Wish maker. I honestly think the movie would have been better if it didn't resolved around granting wish.

• Like 3

I was watching it for Gal Gadot, not so much the action. Solid blockbuster fun, but a fairly forgettable effort all in all. 

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, venom10463 said:

I prefer when they focus on a single villain. WW84 should have focused on Cheetah and left out Wish maker. I honestly think the movie would have been better if it didn't resolved around granting wish.

Totally agree. Would have much rather had a story that dealt with Minerva's growing psychotic behavior that included a couple of battle scenes between WW & Cheetah. (And in the comics WW kills Maxwell Lord on live television because he had gained mental control of Supes and refused to let him go. That could've been a plot line for JL 2.)

1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

I was watching it for Gal Gadot, not so much the action. Solid blockbuster fun, but a fairly forgettable effort all in all. 

Really the only reason to see it.

• Like 4

shukocarl1441996347
On 12/30/2020 at 5:13 PM, saltysam said:

Snap! watched it there in screen 12 on Monday. Small world!

Was on Screen 2 for me! Lol

• Like 2

I was disappointed in this movie, and found it inferior to the first one. The good cast can't save it from a bad script and uneven pacing. As much as I want to support cinemas, I am glad I saw this on HBO Max (trial).

• Like 2

Scenes with young Diana were good but there was not much else. Delighted to see tho Operation Wolf game was featured..So long time from days when used to stand on chair as 8-9 years old kid to reach machine gun when put all weekly pocket money into OP wold arcade.

It was bad, plot about sort of human aladdin`s magic lamp was lacklustre.

• Like 2

Finally saw WW84 on cable a short while ago, and I think it was alright. Defiantly inferior to the first movie in every single way. But it wasn't as bad as I had heard. I had a fun time watching it, and that is all I ask for from a film. Gal Gadot is wonderful(heh) in the part  and it sucks that she will no longer be Wonder Woman.  

On 12/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, DrNgor said:

If they were going to make third movie, my money would be on either Giganta, Circe, or maybe even Dr. Pyscho

• Like 2