Avengement: Scott Adkins, Louis Mandylor, Kierston Waring,Thomas Turgoose, Craig Fairbrass (2019)

DragonClaws

This is out on DVD in the UK now, picked it up the other day. Fantastic film, best Adkins has been in for some time. What I liked was although it used the British gangster archetypes, there was a great black sense of humour here, and it was really refreshing to see Adkins play up to it for a change.Nice to see Thomas Turgoose, so brilliant in the This Is England franchise (if you haven't seen it, at the very least seek out the film, astonishing filmmaking) get the lion's share of the laughs and even a brief slice of the action. As for the fights, seriously, seriously brutal stuff, which again feels refreshing, especially after the balletic choreography of Triple Threat (which, despite its cast, I think is the lesser film). One sequence in prison in particular had me wincing, and as for the finale, wonderful stuff, like a proper pub scuffle on acid. What sets it apart though is the complexity of both the characters and the plot. We're not talking Inception levels, but there is at least an attempt at playing with structure and giving our hero (if he can be called that) three dimensions. Very impressed.

• Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

AVENGEMENT is terrific!

Since it only got a DVD release in the US, my son and I ordered the region 2 Blu-ray from the UK. We watched it together, and... DAMN!

It's a low budget (but never feels that way) film about a character that feels like he might've come from an older Guy Ritchie movie (LOCK, STOCK, AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS or SNATCH), though not as cheeky as those, still darkly funny at times. It features lots of colorful characters, great use of non-linear story-telling, and brutal action. In my opinion it's head and shoulders above all of Adkins' other acting work (which I always thought was pretty darn good), and though it doesn't feature the more fanciful stunt kicks he's famous for in flicks like NINJA: SHADOW OF A TEAR or the stuff he does as "Boyka" (UNDISPUTED films), these types of moves wouldn't fit well into this film which features much more realistic (but still jaw-dropping) brawls. There's more headbutts in here than there are punches in many action movies, very fast and nasty boot-work, and some of the hardest looking punches I've ever seen Adkins throw (and that's saying something!).  And what a look he's sporting in this film. 🤪 Very highly recommended.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
16 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

AVENGEMENT is terrific!

Since it only got a DVD release in the US, my son and I ordered the region 2 Blu-ray from the UK. We watched it together, and... DAMN!

Ditto, got a few Adkins related reviews pending, and Avengement is one of them.

16 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

And what a look he's sporting in this film. 🤪 Very highly recommended.

I had a jacket just like his, during my college year's. I wasn't going for the Cain Burgess tough guy/criminal look. It was more influenced by Bob Dylan and 60's counter culture style, I was 17 at the time.

Where I was brought up, there were a lot of guys who looked like Cain Burgess. Recall being in a nightclub and seeing a gang of middle aged men, who looked just like that. During the course of the night two of them fell out, and one bottled the other. The glass shattered in a way it never does in the movies, just a huge cloud of dust as it hit his bald fore-head. Violence is ugly in real life, sadly it was hard to avoid where I grew up. Alcohol, youthful testosterone and illegal substances used to create some ugly situation's in social nightspot's.

• Like 1

It looks Scott Adkins has added another iconic character to his filmopgraphy. Recently sat down to watch this grittier than a gravel pit actioner, for the second time. Click or Tap on the link below, for my Avengement inspired write-up, thank you.

Exclusive Interview: Scott Adkins on Avengement and Why He Regrets Doctor Strange

Link- https://weliveentertainment.com/welivefilm/exclusive-interview-scott-adkins-avengement-regrets-doctor-strange/

Scott Adkins: My teeth flew out on one. Actually, it’s in the movie if anyone can spot it. I get punched and my teeth fly out. It looks like spit but it’s actually my teeth. Aside from that, it was just sitting in the makeup chair that was the real hardship.

20190314_134218.jpg?fit=1200,551&ssl=1

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

• Administrator
On 8/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, DragonClaws said:

Exclusive Interview: Scott Adkins on Avengement and Why He Regrets Doctor Strange

Link- https://weliveentertainment.com/welivefilm/exclusive-interview-scott-adkins-avengement-regrets-doctor-strange/

Scott Adkins: My teeth flew out on one. Actually, it’s in the movie if anyone can spot it. I get punched and my teeth fly out. It looks like spit but it’s actually my teeth. Aside from that, it was just sitting in the makeup chair that was the real hardship.

Geez, when I first read this quote I thought his real teeth got knocked out! That's a short but sweet interview.

Anyway, thanks for the link @DragonClaws.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 3:59 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Geez, when I first read this quote I thought his real teeth got knocked out! That's a short but sweet interview.

Glad you liked it, the story with the false teeth was funny.

Lent my copy of Avengement to my old man, and he really loved it. He doesnt keep track of today's action star's, but he said that young fella in the fim could really fight.

• Like 2

• Administrator
20 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Glad you liked it, the story with the false teeth was funny.

Lent my copy of Avengement to my old man, and he really loved it. He doesnt keep track of today's action star's, but he said that young fella in the fim could really fight.

Similar situation here. Once @gorhama introduced me to Scott Adkins' films via SPECIAL FORCES I became a fan, and in turn started loaning the discs to my dad. He really digs him now too. My son as well. He went from borrowing my DVDs and Blu-rays to now purchasing his own copies.

• Like 3

Super Ninja

I'm joining the list of fans, Avengement is absolutely fantastic. Love how these movies Johnson directed with Adkins starring are so different when compared to each other and Avengement is certainly the finest of their collabs, though my heart goes to Triple Threat. Adkins delivers his finest acting performance to date, just compare his character before going to prison and the violent beast with scars and metal teeth he's become while serving, amazing. I really love Adkins and I don't mean this in a bad way but this is the first time I felt like I'm not watching a Scott Adkins movie as I was fully focused on his character, not the guy who's every new movie is a must on my watch list. His transformation is admiring. Loved the violence and the brutality of it, would love a rematch between Adkins and Mark Strange that would allow both to show more. 

Did anybody notice the poster for Satanic Mechanix behind the bar? The band Adkins electrocuted while performing live in a scene in Accident Man.

• Like 2

Okay, I finally got around to this last night. It was a good movie with a great acting performance by Scott Adkins. My wife glanced at the screen a few times--she now recognizes Scott from his podcasts--and asked if he was a good actor. I told him he was and that he cut his teeth on acting through soap operas earlier in his career. But yeah, I did like the non-linear storyline and how we gradually learn the mechanics of Cain's "revenge" and what drove him to that.

The action was great. Lots of brutal beatings, shankings, furniture breaking, blunt object trauma, and more! There's even a decapitation by shotgun! The best fight from a MA perspective was the one-on-one with the corrupt cop. But the final fight was just savage...feral!

Recommended.

• Like 2